Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can he do that?  (Read 12482 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Can he do that?
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »

Was watching from KWB for fish but it was not the fish which got our attention. Two Asian fishers were verbally blamed by another non-Asian fisher why they targeted chum while chum is closed? One of the Asians hooked a chum in the mouth with a float and was landing & releasing the fish in the water when this happened. It seemed he didn't do anything wrong but was verbally accused as if he had done something wrong. So the Asian guy landing the fish was visibly upset and was shouting back that he has his right to fish and not be harrassed. I don't know how you can consider others deliberately targeting chum, if he just casts the float out with regular set up in the pool below KWB. Just because the hook was biten by a chum? How can he be considered targeting chum while the other non-Asian guy was doing the same. Besides, catching & releasing a chum which is closed is not illegal, targeted or not? He has not broken the law. Didn't many guys on this board target bull trout in tidal Fraser while retention is prohibited?  ;D

Also from a distance on the Bridge, it seemed the non-Asian guy was also approaching the other Asian guy, as if he was wanting to check something from the guy. I could have been wrong from the distance, but just how much a fisherman who is not a CO can say or do to another fisherman before it is considered a harrassment or racial thing? Once a friend of mine, an Asian, told me that he was asked by another fisher whether he has fishing license and demanded it be shown to him, because my friend had a hatchery steelhead in his hand but not dressed really up scale as most steelheaders do. So where is the limit? Can the non-Asian guy do that? This kind of behaviour is dangerous, as it can lead from verbal dispute to violence. To care about the regulaton & resources is one thing. To be extra zealous and go over-board can lead to bad consequence.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:09:19 PM by liketofish »

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Can he do that?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:35:45 PM »

With regards to the catching of Chum, as long as you let them go, nothing wrong with that. Not being there hard to say what lead up to the arguement. Could it be that one person was long lining and the other took offense.  That could be a possibility.
However, when you start acting like you are a CO or police officer, when you are not that is when the person crosses the line. Much more serious offence that can lead to some jail time.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 05:59:58 PM »

It's all a matter of what you're willing to put up with. The fellow catching the Chum didn't do anything wrong and if Mr. Attitude picks the wrong person to flip out on he will find himself in a very dire situation. Myself, I don't allow anyone to get in my face, cept' my wife.

People target Sturgeon, Thompson River Steelhead and other species of fish and then gently release them back to the wild. All I can say is A man with a Big mouth has a Fool for a friend. I had someone approach me a few years back on the Capilano and asked to see my fishing licence. He wasn't wearing a DFO uniform so I said, you show me your's and I'll show you mine.

He then laughed and said he was joking. Yeah I said, and your'e the joke. He walked away not impressed but he should'nt be acting like a CO when he isn't one. Just like the fellow in your story should'nt be acting like he has authority and harrassing someone he knows nothing about. You just don't know who won a golden glove championship in their life and believe me, you don't want to find out. 

coyote spooner

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »

Maybe the non-asian guy was one the the self righteous posters from the bottom bouncing thread.

Oh wait probably not,  they're all at home on their computers.

Sinaran

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »

couple years back when i hooked and landed a bar chrome hatchery Coho near Allison pool, couple of fishermen who were fishing down river from me ran by.  just when i thought they were two good samaritans wanting to give a helping hand landing a fish, they looked at the fish suspiciously and asked, "is that hatchery? did you hook it in the mouth or...." .   "i know what i am doing dudes, thanks. there were other guys landing fish consistently in the whole area, why just me? easy target, right.."  they then just walked back to their respective spots without even explaining why.   :(
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »

Seems like a case of harrassment or at the very least a very overzealous fisherman. It is not illegal to catch and release chums. Wild steelhead is closed to retention. Does this mean we can't fish for steelheads ? As to producing fishing licence, I only do it for CO's, DFO's and police officers. Nobody else.

jizza

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:50:03 PM »

It's just fishing people chill out  ::). i don't get why people get so frustrated. I mean like its not YOUR river as most people seem to think. If you see something illegal, then mention it to the person or call dfo. Then continue fishing no need to waste valuable time, gas, and bait just to harrass someone.

azafai

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:07:31 PM »

most of those rats have some other complexities.

the good thing is that I met 10 times more good people than those wanna be river owner idiots.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »

Yes, I agree azafai !!! I always meet Great people when I'm on the flow, for the most part. Can't say I have any problems but I have seen other's in situations that border on harrassment at times. It's too bad that some people get so bent out of shape sometimes when fishing should be a relaxing affair.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 09:58:08 PM »

I mean like its not YOUR river as most people seem to think.

True, but it is OUR river.  Sounds from your description that the guy was being a bit too "Captain Awesome - River Cop", but there are ALWAYS two sides to every situation.

I had a guy give me the third degree recently on the river.  He was out walking his dog and decided to stand on a bank above me start asking me 'stupid' questions trying to catch me off guard.  "So uh, what are you fishing for?"  (he had an Orvis hat on so I knew he was playing dumb) he said "uh, is this tidal or non tidal" just hoping I would slip up, "How much do fishing licenses cost these days"  stuff like that.  I proceed to land a Ho, he says "wow, way to go, lucky you have a barbed hook or you probably would have lost that fish on one of those jumps eh?"

I politely told the guy that I not the one to be looking out for and that my license/stamp are up to date and my hook is barbless and told him that I don't mind an audience, but I would rather he get a rod do his own thing.  He mumbled something and carried on.

All this being said, I would rather 10 of him walking around than one flosser.

brownmancheng

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »

Maybe the non-asian guy was one the the self righteous posters from the bottom bouncing thread.

Oh wait probably not,  they're all at home on their computers.

Lol.... Good one!

Liketofish... Is there a reason you assume it was a racial thing?? You were there not me so you would know I guess. Seemed to be a lot of Asian/ non Asian in your post. I would agree that some people are prejudiced against foreigners and newcomers to this country in assuming they are not being ethical. But on the flip side I have seen many blatant offences brushed off with the language barrier. Don't think there are any ethnicities I've seen on the river not commit offences

anorden

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 10:52:41 PM »

I was under the impression that DFO and CO dont recruit 'volunteers' to check licenses was because it could get ugly and they dont want to put volunteers in a dangerous situation if they confront someone breaking the law. That being the case its probably more sensible to call RAPP instead of confront someone and ask if they are fishing illegally. At the end of the day if you catch them poaching do you think they will stick around till DFO arrive?

If you want to "educate" someone then subtlety is the key, not wading in all guns blazing!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 01:30:07 AM »

Lol.... Good one!

Liketofish... Is there a reason you assume it was a racial thing?? You were there not me so you would know I guess. Seemed to be a lot of Asian/ non Asian in your post. I would agree that some people are prejudiced against foreigners and newcomers to this country in assuming they are not being ethical. But on the flip side I have seen many blatant offences brushed off with the language barrier. Don't think there are any ethnicities I've seen on the river not commit offences

I post the implication of racial thing as a question instead of an affirmation. I could not be sure of the motivation behind the non-Asian guy, because the other two Asian guys were fishing with float, regular leader, and landing & releasing a chum ethically. How is it possible that they get blamed for targeting chum? I mean if they are not Asians, say local Canadians, will the non-Asian guy jump them for hooking & landing a chum?  Only he knows what he was thinking. But from a bystander's point of view, when his action lacks any other explanation, then it is logical to think the incident may be caused because he was biased toward Asian fishermen. Saying that, it still is wrong to act like a CO when he is not one, and the other two guys are justified to get upset when their peaceful & enjoyable fishing trip becomes unnecessarily harrassed.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:33:26 AM by liketofish »

ICA

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »

I think it is very sad to see these occurrences, and personally have experienced rude remarks by people of a different ethnicity, just because they don't think I was handling things right. The fact of the matter is that there are ways to put things nicely if people are really convinced that there is an absolute need to educate and correct for the sake of making better anglers on our rivers. There is no need whatsoever to become abusive and rude, because it achieves nothing and the end result is zero lesson learned. Good behavior encourages and can become contagious whereas rudeness produce indifference and breeds contempt not just for that instance but in the future. At the end of the day folks, we are all trying to have fun on the river, and it is meant to be relaxing and filled with laughter and excitement and adrenalin rush when fighting a fish. Ask ourselves, do we hope the guy fighting the fish would be successful landing the fish, or do we hope to see him lose it? The point I am making here is that sometimes people get so turned off just because the guy next door is pulling them in one after another whilst this sour grape gets so upset and jealous, he acts out his frustration by pouncing on others.

Just cool it and don't be so self righteous! Live and let live and teach if you are so knowledgeable but don't breed contempt on our rivers!

brownmancheng

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »

Well put ica