Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River reports?  (Read 29388 times)

Paulo

Stave River reports?
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:47:46 AM »

Would like to try the Stave tommorrow by boat. Was wondering if there were any number of Chum available? Thanks in advance to helpful fisherman.
 Paul.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Stave River reports?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »

Good action on the stave for chum,  but you gotta fight through all the BB and snaggers.  Heard rumors there are gonna close the chum due to poor numbers on the Harrison and Vedder.  After seeing the gong show of people being proud of catching a fish with 8 feet of leader I kind of hope they close it.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »

When you guys talk about the Stave, are you guys refering to the mouth at the Fraser or near the Dam or some other area of the river? Sorry for being such a newb! ;D
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »

Anyone gotta guess on how the water will be tomorrow?

tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »

When you guys talk about the Stave, are you guys refering to the mouth at the Fraser or near the Dam or some other area of the river? Sorry for being such a newb! ;D
From the mouth to the Dam. No fishing in the spawning channel near the dam.

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »

Fished the west side this morning on the falling tide. Fishing was quite good, numbers at least "appear" to be better than last year but still nowhere near what they have been in years past. I imagine the rest of the river was also fishing well, and with a boat there are plenty of places where you can fish by yourself. Even from shore you can find lots of space away from the crowds. There was a fellow way downstream from where I was, in a spot I've never thought of trying and he was into many fish. Just because there's a lot of pressure in one place, doesn't mean the fishing's better....just easier to get to.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »

done
report posted

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »

Where exactly is the spawning channel? Is it the part that breaks off from the main river just south of the parking lot to the east and runs right beside Hayward St?
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »

Where exactly is the spawning channel? Is it the part that breaks off from the main river just south of the parking lot to the east and runs right beside Hayward St?

The part that you mentioned is open, it is the channel that Rod highlighted, from the dam side down to the boat launch, that is closed.
Not all those who wander are lost

Headshake

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 03:20:55 PM »

I have heard parking is an issue. Where can one park that is walking distance to the river? Another map like Rodney's is mega helpful.
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

jizza

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »

I have heard parking is an issue. Where can one park that is walking distance to the river? Another map like Rodney's is mega helpful.
go early....

bunnta

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »

parking can be an issue on the ruskin dam area, i always see people park randomly along the main road instead of the parking lot be sure to pay attention to the signs on the west side of the river. Tow truck driver would have mades tons of money if he bothered to checked lol, many people were parking in the no parking area.  :-\
other than that i managed to keep this chrome chum after fishing for a few hours. buttloads of people fishing yesterday!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »

I too went out for a while, had to go somewhere closer to home because I had practice later in the day. Managed about 30 chum, and my dad slightly less. While walking down river as far as I could to get away from people, I saw that almost everyone who was fishing the bowl caught coho. Walked down to my spot and noticed chum rolling everywhere. With the tide comming in, there were plenty of fresh fish. First cast on a blade, nice chum, still had sea lice and a white belly but had these orange scabs on it's body so back he went. Switched over to a jig and had a fish on every cast. Fished about 3 inches from float to my weight, with about 8 inch leader. Water was nice and deep and these fish were inhaling everything, I've never seen chum this aggressive. Anyways, landed about 15 chum like the one posted in the picture above. All but 6 had these orange dots on their side  ??? I still have no clue what they are. Has anyone seen this before? Both my dad and I retained 2 females, still chrome with lice. It was nice to see the few guys I was with fishing with had the same setup as me. One guy was flossing and I got him to rig up a float and jig and started nailing the chum, he was surprised to see the jig on it's tongue every time. At one point I put on one of Every Days roe flies and started hitting them on it. Over all nice day.