Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River reports?  (Read 32077 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Stave River reports?
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2011, 11:21:43 PM »

So a completely fresh looking fish can also be ready to spawn and die?

No. What' mikeyman is saying is that fish entering rivers from the ocean will remain fresh for a couple of days before they start colouring up. It may take a couple of weeks, or more, for them to colour up and become ready to spawn in rivers.

iRobertO

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »

No. What' mikeyman is saying is that fish entering rivers from the ocean will remain fresh for a couple of days before they start colouring up. It may take a couple of weeks, or more, for them to colour up and become ready to spawn in rivers.

So they could just hang out for a couple weeks in the stave prior to doing the deed?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2011, 06:54:44 AM »

So they could just hang out for a couple weeks in the stave prior to doing the deed?

Yes, this is typically true of "early run" fish that enter the river ahead of the run and then hang out while they await a suitable mate.  Fish entering the rivers later, tend to switch over sooner (in a matter of days) as prospective mates abound but time is running out.  These fish must put on their game faces quickly to compete with other fish already in spawning colours.
Not all those who wander are lost

costas

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2011, 10:10:04 AM »

is going to head out to the stave will give a report when home  :)
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »

lots of chum still, and some very fresh looking ones, though as the couple beside me found out yesterday they can be super clean this late but often carry loose eggs only
probly my last trip, chum fishing is fun, but unlike my coho persuits I usually go to populated spots.....
Man people have no manners regarding those around them or fish landing skills, though I met some nice people as well and collected a ton of lost gear so its ok lol

bunnta

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »

where did you fish? and yeah seriously lots of nice looking chum and there are still coho to be had there and fresh too. Got this beauty today....but i really think stave's coho are no fun, this one just floated sideway and let me pull her in until she saw the shore and started to play a bit.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:55:08 PM by bunnta »

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »

Went out today for an hour, lots of people bonking everything....Caught a few chum, they did look fairly chrome but something seemed a bit off about them, had really "rough" feeling skin, not like they were as fresh as they appeared. Also a few in a row all seemed to have seal gashes on them.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBe3Hh3Do-0&feature=related

Good music for making sauce for that boot. If you don't get a fresh one, drown it sauce. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fishinglover

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »

Went to Stave on Fri and Sat.  A lot of chums, only one fresh... all others are pretty old... but it's fun... even my kids learned a lot for fishing during weekend...

DRP79

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »

I Went out there on Friday for the day and landed about 10-12 chums. Nothing worth keeping but had a great time and got to practice playing and landing fish. BEst day of the season for me so far.