Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River reports?  (Read 32042 times)

gearjammer

Re: Stave River reports?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 02:37:21 PM »

Lots of fish on sunday with a jig. Fisheries and CO's checking everyone when hydro came in to clear the parking lot. Kinda funny watching people try to ditch their catch when they got to the parking lot. They even checked me and I wasn't packing any fish.

ICA

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 07:05:41 PM »

Sorry fellas for asking but is the Stave closed for Chum retention? Also where can we legally park?

azafai

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »

you can keep 2 chums, or 4 hatchery cohos, or all together 4 salmons.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

as regarding parking for the west side, sorry, I don't know.

Just learned that from Oct. 27 on there is no retention for chum.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:02:36 PM by azafai »

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »

I'm not 100% sure where is absolutely legal, but when I start to get concerned about getting towed on the west side of the river, I'll park way down from the trailer park, on the west side of the road and completely off the pavement. So far, so good.....

samw

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »

Went out yesterday and yes, they were biting my jigs on almost every cast.  There is no good reason to bottom bounce or snag when the fish bite so agressively.

JPW

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 11:57:28 AM »

Went out yesterday and yes, they were biting my jigs on almost every cast.  There is no good reason to bottom bounce or snag when the fish bite so agressively.

Agreed! They are very aggressive fish!  I'm just hoping that now they are closed for retention they gong show will move on and open up some shoreline to keep enjoying them for C&R only.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »

Those of you who will be out C&R-ing chum on the Stave, please do so with the utmost respect for the fish.
Also, please please please, act as true stewards of the resource and prevent the ignorant individuals who don't even bother to check the in-season regulation changes from bonking fish. You'd be surprised how many of those you can encounter in one day.

I sure as hell will keep my eyes wide open on the flows I'll be fishing this weekend.

Tight lines.

prairiefire

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:16 PM »

I'll second  jigs effectiveness. I went out twice in the last 2 weeks. I found a nice spot on the westside not a far wade from the bottom bouncers. Walked in and both times 1st cast fish on!!! Any jig with a purple/cherise or purple/chartreuse colour worked. I tie my own and have my own killer jig. Both times out 20+ fish in a couple hours. I even had old timers chucking blades or wool come over a see what I was using. Fun times!!! I always C&R as I don't use roe. Caught some nice does when retention was still open. Let them go to help rebuild the run.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »

Please note that some of the reports have been moved to the fishing reports section in case you can't find the posts.

JPW

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 01:01:48 PM »

Quote from: prairiefire
I always C&R as I don't use roe. Caught some nice does when retention was still open. Let them go to help rebuild the run.

Nothing better than the look on people's faces when they are dying to bonk an old boot and you're releasing a chrome doe. I don't know how many people questioned my sanity and suggested I give the fish to them!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:49:56 PM by JPW »

prairiefire

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »

Nothing better than the look on people's faces when they are dying to bono an old boot and your releasing a chrome doe. I don't know how many people questioned my sanity and suggested I give the fish to them!

I hear you there! Get alot of WTF looks for sure. ;D Not to mention endless texts from my roe-slinging buddies.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »

Nothing better than the look on people's faces when they are dying to bonk an old boot and you're releasing a chrome doe. I don't know how many people questioned my sanity and suggested I give the fish to them!

I always offer people my fish, provided I can keep the roe.
Actions speak louder than words.

JPW

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 04:40:58 PM »

I always offer people my fish, provided I can keep the roe.

Is that legal?  I guess providing they have a license and counts towards their retention total?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »

Is that legal?  I guess providing they have a license and counts towards their retention total?

You can give a person a fish but technically they are supposed to have a letter from you with all your info on it. 

JPW

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »

You can give a person a fish but technically they are supposed to have a letter from you with all your info on it. 

I suppose it's no different then giving it to a friend or neighbour or something when you get home, it just somehow seems a little different when you're at the river.