Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River reports?  (Read 32061 times)

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
Re: Stave River reports?
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »

good day fishing from the boat, lots of very bright chum and a couple wild coho.....oh and lots of rain this morning

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »

good day fishing from the boat, lots of very bright chum and a couple wild coho.....oh and lots of rain this morning

Yes, it was indeed wet. I was into a few small jacks and a very feisty bright chum that put on an aerial display that had me thinking big coho until I caught site of it up close.  Had the whole area to myself for most of the morning until another fella came by to cast spoon or spinners for a while.  An orange Fall Favourite produced many small jacks but a Chartreuse pattern produced a few too, and the chum as well.  
Not all those who wander are lost

CastCatch

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2011, 11:14:20 PM »

Stopped by yesterday for a while and hooked in to some very nice chrome Chum, so they are still coming in fresh.  Sadly, I had to remind a number of people that were about to bonk old boots that they were closed for retention.  That is despite there being a huge sign at the entrance noting the change in the regulation.  I also witnessed far too many chum being dragged 10 feet up onto the shore before being kicked back in, pretty disappointing behaviour and no DFO around to do anything about it.

I was checked by an officer last week when I walked in the parking lot. checked my license and the catch. they are there but not all the time.

CastCatch

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »

Went to Stave this afternoon, with the nice weather, there were a number of people fishing, talked to a few, there were a couple of wild coho caught and released.

Franky

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »

Hi all, joined this forum couple weeks ago.  Soon found out that most have fake fishing names, but i cant seem to change it my profile.  Oh well.

Anyway, went to Stave sunday afternoon and had lots of fun catching chum doing short float with a jig.  Thanks to Rod for his easy to follow short float article. 

I tried flyfishing too, but only caught one chum using a sinking tip in medium speed water.  Any advice on what i might be doing wrong?

Also had a nice chat with a scottish spey-casting guy.  He comes over every year from scotland because they have 'nothing like this' over there =)

I'll be heading out again this friday and will try for some coho.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 04:54:17 AM »

I tried flyfishing too, but only caught one chum using a sinking tip in medium speed water.  Any advice on what i might be doing wrong?. . .
I'll be heading out again this friday and will try for some coho.

Find slack "frog water" for coho and fish a clear intermediate sink tip or a floating line with a weighted fly and a long enough leader to reach the bottom.  Cast and let the fly sink to a couple of feet off the bottom (I like to count the time it takes to hit bottom and then shorten the time on subsequent casts).  You want the fly just above where the fish are holding, so you avoid foul hooking them but are close enough to entice an aggressive chaser out of group on the bottom.  I have found chartreuse has worked good at the stave, but orange and olive are also good choices if that doesn't work, and tie in a little flash (crystal flash or flashabou).  When fishing moving water, dead drift a roe fly or other egg pattern, like a nymph, using a strike indicator and a small split shot to get the fly right down into the zone.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:57:36 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

ja

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2011, 08:10:35 AM »

I read somewhere (maybe on this forum, just can't remember) that to increase the chances of getting a fresher fish to bite, to keep your presentation a bit higher than normal, so as to entice the fresher more aggressive fish to bite.  Is this true? Is there a way to improve one's odds of hooking into a fresher fish?  If so, how much higher?  I'm asking this because when I went to the Stave for the first time on Saturday, I hooked a lot of Chum, but maybe only 1 or 2 out of 15 or 20 were somewhat fresh.  I'd certainly would like to target fresher fish, if possble.  I was short floating with a jig.  Thanks in advance.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2011, 08:33:03 AM »

There aren't many fresh fish in there now so your odds aren't good. Last weekend I caught fewer chum than the guys I was fishing with, but didn't catch a single one with rot and foul hooked far fewer fish.
Spoons, spinners and flies are snagging machines when the chum are this thick.
Best fish were caught in slower water with jigs set at least 4 feet off the bottom.  You still need to be careful on the retrieve to avoid the zombies.
Fuschia/pink/chartreuse will trigger aggressive strikes from fresher chum. I was fishing silver blue to try for coho.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »

I was at the Stave with a couple of buddies today. We got to the river (East Side) around 6:45 and started to fish Just after 7am. We fished the toilet bowl and the Back channel.

My one buddy and I used fly, and the other buddy used small gold spinners.

My buddy with the spinner did really well hooking 6 Coho, but due to lack of fishing experience, lost ALL of them (including one Jack). My other buddy and I got into a few Coho and MANY chum (at least 50% Bright  & Clean & 80-90% were hooked in the mouth) but again were not able to land one Coho today. Funny, last Friday, a different buddy and I went out, hooked about 20 and landed 15, today 0-7 between us For Coho!

Saw a few Coho caught today in the toilet bowl as well as the main channel, but the lack of respect for the Chum was ridiculous!!!!! I don't know how many people I saw landing a Chum and just dragging it on shore and booting it back in!

I LOVE fishing in the Stave year Round, but with what I have been seeing in the last few outings (It seems to be getting worse) I wish they would just close it totally!!!! These poor fish don't stand a chance.

Tons of Coho in the River, but you really need to know where to look and what fly to present to them. We also found that a faster retrieve today was the ticket, last week they wanted it slower.

Ohh just a FYI, the one guy that did end up doing REALLY well on the main channel was using hand peeled Shrimp!!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

CastCatch

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »

I was at the Stave with a couple of buddies today. We got to the river (East Side) around 6:45 and started to fish Just after 7am. We fished the toilet bowl and the Back channel.

My one buddy and I used fly, and the other buddy used small gold spinners.

My buddy with the spinner did really well hooking 6 Coho, but due to lack of fishing experience, lost ALL of them (including one Jack). My other buddy and I got into a few Coho and MANY chum (at least 50% Bright  & Clean & 80-90% were hooked in the mouth) but again were not able to land one Coho today. Funny, last Friday, a different buddy and I went out, hooked about 20 and landed 15, today 0-7 between us For Coho!

Saw a few Coho caught today in the toilet bowl as well as the main channel, but the lack of respect for the Chum was ridiculous!!!!! I don't know how many people I saw landing a Chum and just dragging it on shore and booting it back in!

I LOVE fishing in the Stave year Round, but with what I have been seeing in the last few outings (It seems to be getting worse) I wish they would just close it totally!!!! These poor fish don't stand a chance.

Tons of Coho in the River, but you really need to know where to look and what fly to present to them. We also found that a faster retrieve today was the ticket, last week they wanted it slower.

Ohh just a FYI, the one guy that did end up doing REALLY well on the main channel was using hand peeled Shrimp!!

Rick

Thanks for the report, Rick. Seems you have to get there early in the morning.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 02:47:34 PM »

Hi all, joined this forum couple weeks ago.  Soon found out that most have fake fishing names, but i cant seem to change it my profile.  Oh well.

Hi Franky, welcome to the forum.
Not all of us use fake fishing names. There are some great people here who choose to use forum handles, but most of us with nothing to hide and at ease with who we are and what we do use our given names.

Welcome again and let us know how your coho fishing goes!

Milo (aka Milo) ;D

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »

Not all of us use fake fishing names. There are some great people here who choose to use forum handles, but most of us with nothing to hide and at ease with who we are and what we do use our given names.

Milo (aka Milo) ;D

Now, that sounds like a shot!!!! :P

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

CastCatch

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »

with the chum re-open Stave will be crowded again.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »

My real name is Forellatem (german) which translates easier in english as Troutbreath
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2011, 05:09:40 PM »

with the chum re-open Stave will be crowded again.

More than likely, the STAVE will remain CLOSED!!

It looks like the opening will be for the Fraser river and the Johnston Straight only.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Howard Hackle