Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River reports?  (Read 32072 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River reports?
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2011, 06:20:43 PM »

My real name is Forellatem (german) which translates easier in english as Troutbreath
...and my last name (Sandquist) translates from Swedish as "sand twig" so I use "Sandman" instead.
Not all those who wander are lost

JPW

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »

More than likely, the STAVE will remain CLOSED!!

It looks like the opening will be for the Fraser river and the Johnston Straight only.

Rick

I wish that were the case, but sadly not! : http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=137279&ID=recreational

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2011, 06:52:11 PM »

I wish that were the case, but sadly not! : http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=137279&ID=recreational

WOW, What the Hell are they thinking?????

I really hope that it closes again before we do too much damage to the fishery.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Franky

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 09:25:42 PM »

Thanks Milo for the welcome, and to all for the wealth of info.  Yes, thats really a bummer with the Chum opening. 

On friday, i'll be bringing out a few friends who have never fished, and was thinking of letting them try the flyfishing.  Since it'll likely be crowded, we'll drift fish for the safety of everyone!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 11:18:34 PM »

Hi all, joined this forum couple weeks ago.  Soon found out that most have fake fishing names, but i cant seem to change it my profile.  Oh well.

Welcome Franky. If you need your username changed, please feel free to email me at info@fishingwithrod.com and let me know what name you would like. I can take care of that for you.

Fishinglover

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »

Tomorrow I plan to go to Stave River.  Anyone can share the spots along the short river?  Eastside or western side?  Is the parking close to the Dam on the east side?  If arriving there at 1:00pm, where is the best place for parking?   I fish just for fun, not for keeping them...   Thanks!  :)

frozensalmon

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 01:23:40 PM »

I also wanna know if there are fresh coho in there now
not interested in chums...

more coho, more coho... ::)

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »

I also wanna know if there are fresh coho in there now
not interested in chums...

There were a few days ago.

Between 3 of us, we hooked into 7 on Tuesday.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

jacked55

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »

I am going to go out tomorrow morning for my first attempt on the stave so i will write about it tomorrow night.
Although im sure it will involve not catching any fish if my current streak continues,lol.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »

I am going to go out tomorrow morning for my first attempt on the stave so i will write about it tomorrow night.
Although im sure it will involve not catching any fish if my current streak continues,lol.

That's thinking positively Jack.
Not all those who wander are lost

CastCatch

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2011, 11:23:30 PM »

There are plenty of chums. It is hard to not catching any.

Fishinglover

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »

will try it soon there, hope this is a fun trip

iRobertO

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2011, 11:00:20 PM »

I have a question that is more related to salmon behavior. It it's a stupid question I'm sure you'll let me know as is usually the case on FWR ;)

My understanding.. (loose analysis)
Salmon are born then they head out to sea for a year or 5 depending on the fish then they re-enter the river and spawn where they were born then roll over and die..
So if they are in the stave wouldn't they always be in a poor condition because they are there to spawn and die? I say that because they aren't just passing through because the stave is a dead end no?
Another question.. When I was out last weekend they were surfacing, splashing and jumping like mad (as in one fish full body out of water 9 hops in a row).. Is this indicative of spawning behavior?

Set me straight!

mikeyman

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »

salmon cycle, yes they are going to the stave to spawn and die, to pass on the next cycle, average of 4 years. some less some more. The fish jumping is spawning behavior. Sometimes you will get a fresh run fish that is eatable. I find it is alot to do with the way you target the fish. Fish lanes where they travel this time of year. Fish short, with a good presentation and you will catch fresher fish. The fresh fish are often only a day or two out of the ocean they move quick, the old fish spawning out have been in the river for awhile it is best not to harrass them. Might make good soup...hahah. or good in the smoker.

iRobertO

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »

salmon cycle, yes they are going to the stave to spawn and die, to pass on the next cycle, average of 4 years. some less some more. The fish jumping is spawning behavior. Sometimes you will get a fresh run fish that is eatable. I find it is alot to do with the way you target the fish. Fish lanes where they travel this time of year. Fish short, with a good presentation and you will catch fresher fish. The fresh fish are often only a day or two out of the ocean they move quick, the old fish spawning out have been in the river for awhile it is best not to harrass them. Might make good soup...hahah. or good in the smoker.

So a completely fresh looking fish can also be ready to spawn and die?