Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, October 24th 2011  (Read 5629 times)

canso

• Old Timer
Stave River, October 24th 2011
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »

spent a couple hours there in the morning, no coho but lots of chum.
I love jigs.
then a good afternoon of Sturgeon.

clujalolo

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »

decided to head to stave today, had LOADS of fun, caught atleast 20 fish. caught multiple fish on the fly rod using a white/pink jig, almost every cast had a fish, had lots of fun on the 8wt, was a struggle at times but lots of fun! will be heading back sometime this week, maybe tomorrow. :p gonna be going to get some more  jigs :p

Sinaran

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »

retained this clean looking doe this afternoon.  it was caught on a colorado.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=28169.15

Looks like Wednesday is probably the last day for this fishery.  Enjoy while you still can. Since I can only go fishing on weekends, I will not be getting into any chum this year either.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »

How about C&R Chum fishery when closed for retention?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 09:50:36 PM »

How about C&R Chum fishery when closed for retention?
Yep, I guess that's a possibility. Though it's probably better that I leave them alone.  Wonder how crowded the river will be when retention is closed.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Stave River, October 24th 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:36:15 AM »

retained this clean looking doe this afternoon.  it was caught on a colorado.

You shouldn't have used those gloves, look how you've mishandled that poor fish! ;D

And you must have photoshopped that fish's colour because look at all the single eggs she spewed out at the top of that picture. ;D

Nice chum... :P

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 01:28:54 PM »

I have caught more clean chums in the Stave this year than any year prior to this one.  The weekend before last I landed 10 dime bright ones on a clear sunny day with no rain for about 3 days prior to that.  That really surprised me because I did not expect anything like that given the lack of rain.   Last weekend I had one just like one Sinaran posted and decided to keep it [..released all of the others]

Of course, the Stave was ridiculously crowded this last Sunday and it was disappointing to see parents teaching their kids all the lousy techniques they learned from Sockeye fishing.   I was itching to tell them they could do so much better short floating jigs just two fleet below a float and to keep them in the water if they intend to release them.  ( I didn't want to annoy anyone by sounding like a know-it-all)

Sadly I busted my favorite rod on one because I didn't put it together properly  :'(
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:30:40 PM by fishseeker »

clujalolo

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 02:05:32 PM »

yes, short floating was producing WAAAY MORE than people bottom bouncing or having a long leader, i had a really short leader, maybe 10 in, maybe even shorter, and it was deadly with some roe on the hook.

was using salted roe, worked really well with the chum, didnt run into any coho tho. will try later this week

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »

Yep, I guess that's a possibility. Though it's probably better that I leave them alone.  Wonder how crowded the river will be when retention is closed.

If it is like other years, the crowds REALLY die down once the Chum retention is closed.

Last year we saw sooooo many guys just bonk the Chum at the river, cut out the eggs, and leave the carcass after chum were closed, I figure between me and a buddy we made at least 12 calls to DFO.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:08:02 PM »

I went for a walk today from bottom to top on the west side and I saw many gutted carcauses.  To bad to see when a traveld soul is wasted.  Makes me wonder why there are low numbers eh everywhere else huh?  Alot of DFO out, saw a dfo chick sittin in a car with a telescope watchin the east side from the west.  Good to see

clujalolo

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 08:26:08 AM »

So you cant fish the near the dam? Or is it only the actual spawning channel?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:34:25 AM by clujalolo »

bluenoser

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »

I have not bonked a chum since 2008, fresh chum on the barbie or smoked is great but I became spoiled by the clean lice riddled chum I used to catch in Squamish and just never seem to catch any that have matched them. I caught a few on Sunday at the Stave and although they were pretty clean I already had a hatchery coho on the bank so I released them thinking I'd get one even better..never happened. That one Sinaran caught was a beauty.

Hopefully this is just a Chum down cycle and they rebound, next to Coho and Steelhead they are my preferred fish to fight and they readily bite.

BN

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »

So you cant fish the near the dam? Or is it only the actual spawning channel?

The closure is for retention only so while you cannot keep any chum salmon starting tomorrow, you can still catch and release them as long as it is done with care. The spawning channel remains closed for fishing.

Stave River also offers good coho salmon fishing so it is worth trying for that if you want to catch fish to keep. To target coho salmon there, try the slower/almost still water where coho salmon tend to hang around. Cast spoons and spinners, or simply use some roe under a float. When float fishing with a float, keep your eye on it and keep your line somewhat tight between the rod tip and the float because the float gets pulled under pretty fast and pops back up right away if you are not paying attention. Those are usually done by jacks but big ones can also be sneaky. There have been days when my float was pulled under a dozen times without a single hook-up because I was asleep at the wheel.