Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colorado blades  (Read 12750 times)

ICA

Colorado blades
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:37:32 PM »

Fellas, this is for my own education and my question is what in your opinion is the best set up when fishing a Colorado blade under a float. Please be specific and give me some idea as to weight and length of leader. Please also tell me how do you drift this because I am wondering if you have to slowly retrieve or just free drift. Is it better with a CP or LW. I have tried many times but without any success.  Anyone willing to help? Not asking for a fishing spot, so I hope no one will take offence to this questions.  ;D ;D ;D

jacked55

Re: Colorado blades
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:53:50 PM »

X2 i have wondered the same thing.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »

I had no clue ether. but after catchn my two chum I dinked around putting pencil lead on my main line about 2 inches with a swivel, and then a foot and a half of leader.  First cast HOE.  I know it isnt what you were asking (float) but I havent had any succsess with that yet.   All varies on your water as what I was fishing was 12 feet plus and fast

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 09:20:08 PM »

Fish the same or a little bit less weight than you would for float fishing roe / wool etc. You want about a  2' leader, I don't see any point in fishing flurocarbon if you are fishing a blade, regular mono is fine. You want to size the blade to the amount of flow in the run you are fishing, bigger flow, bigger blade, what you are aiming for is a slower rotation, not a really fast spin. If you want to dead drift set the float depth at least a couple of feet shallower than the run, otherwise because the blade is heavier than roe or wool you will hang up or be snagging fish if they are stacked up. For faster water you can go deeper and for shallow you may have to go a lot shorter to prevent this. For dead drifting don't hold back just let the float go, I find i works better if the weight is leading the blade down stream. If you want to swing it across stream or retrieve it you can afford to go a bit deeper as the current or retrieve will lift the blade up. If it is obviously on the surface go deeper and it you are hitting bottom bring it up a little. There are no hard and fast rules so just experiment with different presentations, colours and sizes until you find what works for you.
Cheers,
Nick

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »

These use to be one of my go to steelhead lures, and still remains in the box.

I tend to dead drift them. Sometimes I slightly hold back just enough that the float creates a small wake.
They also work well on a light spin casting rod, cast them and nothing else (no weight, etc) into a backwater and let it sink to bottom then retrieve slow.

As for depth, when dead drifting set your gear around 1-2 feet off the bottom (typical answer). They spin quite well with just currents in the river. Indiana blades are better for dead drifting I'v heard as they catch more water, but I'v never had a problem dead drifting Colorado's and this is my go to method for them.

If holding back set you float to JUST tapping bottom every 10 seconds or so (tick here and there).
This will ensure that when holding back your Colorado will still remain 1-2 feet off the bottom (it will rise if you are holding back).
Once I get to the tail-out I tend to lock my reel and let it swing into shore (in faster runs), then start reeling. You wouldn't believe how many I have hit in the 1st 3-4 cranks.

Weight... it depends on float size.
I run a stubby float 4" with a shaved/tapered bottom. I normally run 4-5 split shots in size 4 about 1 inch apart from each other.

Leader Length.
-I use to run (and still do at time when picky) a 2-3 foot flouro leader in really high vis (6+ feet vis) conditions. I find Colorado's sink fairly well so they don't float up out of the zone unlike roe would (assuming you are not holding back on the Colorado).
-Normally a 12 to 16 inch leader will work fine.

Size of Colorado.
Steelies like size 4 I think it is (I go on sight, but it's quite large).
Coho I use both large and small, it depends on what they want that day. I like silver, gold, and dark blue.

I have also seen guys bottom bounce aka drift fish these.
a couple small weights and a 1-2 foot leader and let it tap bottom while drifting, sometimes slowly reeling in as you would a spoon.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Dan

ICA

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »

Fellas! You guys are awesome! Thank you and truly appreciate for taking time to describe in such details. I will experiment with all your suggestions and I am sure I will get my fish one of these days, perhaps a steelie would be nice. ::) ::)

Tight lines yall!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »

Blades have been killer this year. Just dead drifting them and holding them back slightly at then end of the drift, had a few fish grab it when retrieving at the end of the drift as well. Ive kept my leader short when holding it back slightly. Also, slowly pulling your rod back 2-3 inches a few times during a drift and then dropping it back just for action has worked, like your almost jigging it a few times. 

Cheers

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 10:36:48 PM »

Looks like im taking tommorow off work.  Thanks guys

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:53:24 PM »

Surface layer of the water moves faster than the bottom layer where fish hold normally.  Letting the float drift naturally on the surface (with the reel in freespool) is actually pulling the blade downstream.  Let it drift!  You're set up should be the normal float fishing set up as you would roe, just tie the spinner on a 2 foot leader and shorten your depth to account for the sink rate of the spinner.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 12:13:07 AM »

Anybody float fish using Indiana blades ?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 05:43:38 AM »

I do, we were slaying pinks on the size 3 hammered brass. Haven't tried them for Coho or Springs though.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 07:04:52 AM »

I wrote this article a few years back, hope it helps.

http://bentrods.ca/fishing-spinners-under-a-float

Remember this article is from a few years back, so I hadn't yet discovered the deadly "sickle" hooks, or how deadly effective airbrushed painted finishes on blades could be.

You might want to check out this link as well for those interested in fishing blades.

http://bentrods.ca/fishing-spinners/spinners-prices-ordering-info

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:11:55 AM by BentRodsGuiding »
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »

Anybody float fish using Indiana blades ?

I do. These are now my go to spinner as they are the only ones I can get from a supplier in pro-series, they are alot thicker then your regular ones. I fish them dead drifting just like described earlier. Great for coho and steelhead.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

JPW

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »

I wrote this article a few years back, hope it helps.

http://bentrods.ca/fishing-spinners-under-a-float

Good read, thanks for positing the link.  I've had good success for Coho fishing Colorado blades, as well as short floating, but never any luck combining the two.  I think I'll try making a few small changes based on what you wrote and see if that makes a difference this weekend!

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »

Fist pound for 'Every Day' for going into such detail and Bent rods. I have a better understanding as well now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:03:32 AM by Shmoke Shaman »