Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, October 28th 2011  (Read 3272 times)

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
Stave River, October 28th 2011
« on: October 28, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »

Well, I was there today with a buddy.

We started the day on the West side and BOTH of us got into a Coho withing 15 min of sun Up. After that, nothing but Chum, and some real nice clean Females to boot!! Of course, there were a few MORONS that were bonking Chum, and I did go over and confront them about it.
I went over, asked them "so any luck?" The guy answered me, no just a few chum, but they are closed. No S**T sherlock, but I sawe him bonk 2 fish and throw them in the tall grass, so I asked him about the 2 fish on the Grass, he tells me they are not his, I respond with BS they are not Yours, I saw you beat the hell out of them with a rock and throw them in the grass, he again says, they are not mine. OK, i said, I guess you won't mind if I throw them back in the river then! He says, not at all, so i grab the first one, and what does he do, steps in front of me so I can't get to the river. He then speaks up and says, well we might as well at least open them up and get the roe since they are dead anyway. ARE YOU FRIGGEN KIDDING ME!!!!!!!! They are yours then correct, finally he says yes. Really?? You just told me that they are not and that you knew that they are closed! By this time his 3 buddies show up, so I decide to bail. I got to the road and called DFO, gave them a description and waited. I was SHOCKED to see that they got there within 15 minutes of my call!!!!!!!! Right on, cudo's for the DFO.

Not sure what happened to the guys, but I do know that they bonked at least 6 Chum, so I hope the DFO nailed them to the CROSS, (Bast**ds)!!!!!!

After this CRAP, we decided to move and went to the east side. 2nd cast, i got a Coho Jack, 4th cast, another Jack, my buddy, 1 nice 9lb Hatchery Doe. I saw a few more caught, but that's it, but 10am it had died right off, so we took off for home.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

frozensalmon

Re: Stave River, October 28th 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 12:43:48 PM »

were you short floating with wool for coho? it seemed work well
more coho, more coho... ::)

beyond

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »

well done!

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »

NOPE, Fly!!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

prairiefire

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »

Good job Rick!!! Way to call him out!!!
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »

Good for you making the call on this.  I guess these guys knew there was a closure so they deserved the not so gently approach.   Glad you had the guts to do it.

redlad

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »

I was out there today as well.  A buddy and I managed three coho early and nothing but chum after that.  We paddled to an island.  Similar we hit some clean chum that were released of course, but we saw two chum on the island that had been slit for roe and left there. It was disgusting.

slick vic

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 11:41:41 PM »

Rick only does fly fishing and he is the best

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »

Rick only does fly fishing and he is the best

Thanks, but NOT EVEN close.

I know what I am doing and can hold my own, but the best, I got a long way to go for that.

Rick.
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Howard Hackle

stlucio

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 09:42:50 AM »

Rick, what flies did you use on Stave river?? Im interested in try fly fish on that river.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »

Rick, a real gutsy move, but for your own safety I would advise you to take it easy and call DFO as there are some real nut cases on the river.
Last year there was a similar confrontation at my local river and the guy went crazy and pulled out his knife and came after the other guy.
Of course, all hell broke loose with RCMP being called in, but thankfully no one was hurt in the incident.
As far as I know the knife wielding attacker was not caught, but it was a close call for that brave fisherman.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 12:49:15 PM »

This is a calculated risk when DFO issued the non retention edict on Chum. Another unfortunate result is one I came across fishing in the mid river. When I pulled up to park I was surprised to see a lot of vehicles for this late in the season. A moment later I realized why. As I made my way down to the spot I wanted to fish, I past a well know spring hole and it was packed. When I got closer I could see 3 dead springs  all does that where shades of black on the beach. These fish were quite mature as the egg tube was protruding prominently. Wanting to give substance to my theory I made small talk with two of the fishers. I brought up the chum non retention and roe for steelies subject and one fellow blatantly replied that he was caught off guard by the closure and was low on roe bait. He said that it was the roe he was after and would feed the fish to his dogs. He continued to fish hoping to get a smaller doe. There's nothing wrong with what he and others are doing. I just hope it doesn't lead to chronic roe hoarding and a roe bait ban in the future.
Sad to see human beings exploit and deplete one resource then turn and do the same to another. Will we see similar low return fate for springs?   
It ain't the roe bro'

Knife

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 01:27:55 PM »

Good for you RP3. I can't standby and say nothing either when I see illegal fishing.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 02:46:16 PM »

Rick, a real gutsy move, but for your own safety I would advise you to take it easy and call DFO as there are some real nut cases on the river.
Last year there was a similar confrontation at my local river and the guy went crazy and pulled out his knife and came after the other guy.
Of course, all hell broke loose with RCMP being called in, but thankfully no one was hurt in the incident.
As far as I know the knife wielding attacker was not caught, but it was a close call for that brave fisherman.

I do understand, but I am getting REALLY sick of seeing bast**ds like this get away with stuff just because "there are cazy Nuts" on he water. We ALL need to start standing up to morons like this, if we don't, there will not be any fish let for our kids and/or Grandkids!!!!

Personally, I think it's time for us ethical fishermen to "Go a little Nuts"!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Howard Hackle

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »

Rick, what flies did you use on Stave river?? Im interested in try fly fish on that river.

PM Sent about the flies.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Howard Hackle