Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The plight of a noob  (Read 11849 times)

DRP79

The plight of a noob
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »

Well I am new here and have just taken up fishing this year. Ive only gone to the Vedder so far and as I was learning, I did snag some pinks which at the time was fun but I know now that its not right or proper. I want to do things right, I am talking to other folks on the river, I am observing and though it is starting to get a bit frustrating, not getting a bite in the last 5 weeks, I am still enjoying my time out on the river.

I have a 10.5 foot rod with a LW reel and have been float fishing using roe, wool, colorados, jigs etc and having no success at all. I know its not called catching and being skunked is par for the course but the past few weeks, I am seeing fish jump, I am seeing others land them but I am getting nothing and I am wondering if someone could maybe critique or help in any way.

I have my reel spooled with 40lb braided line and use a Maxima Chameleon 20lb leader line. I use about 18-24" of leader attached to a snap swivel with some pencil lead on the other end and use cheap floats. I usually go 3-5 feet from float to weight and adjust accordingly if I feel it skipping along the bottom. I let the float drift as naturally as I can and try to keep the line off the water as it does so.

Is there something wrong with my setup or technique or is this really just par for the course?

Any help is appreciated.

mr.p

Re: The plight of a noob
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »

Your technique is correct.

You should get rid of the 40# braid and put on 15-20# mono.  Also your leader is way too heavy.  Use 8-12# mono or flouro
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

DRP79

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »

Thanks man, Ill get that stuff for sure. I just have what the guy recommended at Army Navy cause I told him I wanted to be able to land a spring if I got one to bite, I had a feeling it might be a bit heavy.

CastCatch

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »

If you target coho, I heard you have to get there first light. It's from reading the previous posts, haven't done it myself :D.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »

I use your leader as my mainline. Change accordingly to what mr.p said but learning to read water is also very important.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »

Just like Mr.P said down size you main line to 12 for coho, or if you are also targeting spring 15 will give you a bit more muscle. I used 8lb mono for coho, but If im fishing in around log jams, fast current or dirty water I will switch to 10lb.

I find that coho are the worst for turning on and off the bite. I will usually dedicate my time early mornings and last light for them. If you can see a bunch of them surfacing in an area that is usually a good indication of a good area to fish, obviously. Roe and Blades have always worked the best for me.

It always feels so much better coming home with a fish that you tricked into biting, over a fish that was snagged or stabbed in the side of the face with a hook.
The Bigger The Better!

slyrod

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 05:17:06 PM »

For coho, as almost everyone above here said, you need to lighten up the gear.  Smaller hooks, smaller pieces of roe, lighter line, and also try not to fish busy areas.  Also loose the snap swivel (it might save you some time) but it is very noticeable.  Very small presentation is need for coho.  There are a lot of factors that go into play and the most important thing iv'e learned is to have confidence in your techniques ;)

slyrod

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 05:20:10 PM »

DRP79, heres an interesting thread that might help you: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=28519.0

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »

It always feels so much better coming home with a fish that you tricked into biting, over a fish that was snagged or stabbed in the side of the face with a hook.
Nice

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »

I have a 10.5 foot rod with a LW reel

What kind of reel? If you're using a spinning reel that could be a big part of the problem.
Actions speak louder than words.

gman

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »

AT this point of teh season as a newbie with little experience  I would just target catch and release of some chum to get the hang of it. As described by others avove, but fish in the chum water (faster, deeper) to get a feel for watching the float do down etc.

DRP79

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »

What kind of reel? If you're using a spinning reel that could be a big part of the problem.

It's just an entry level daiwa baitcasting reel.

DRP79

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »

AT this point of teh season as a newbie with little experience  I would just target catch and release of some chum to get the hang of it. As described by others avove, but fish in the chum water (faster, deeper) to get a feel for watching the float do down etc.

That's what I am trying to do. I don't plan on taking anything home just trying to put the time in and gain experience but nothing is happening. I ran through my tackle in that deep, fast pool mid river at the train bridge today cause the slower pool on the other side was crowded. I was hoping to get to play with a chum for a bit but no luck.

doja

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 07:05:15 PM »

Wow... don't use braid, spining reels, etc.... ::)

I use #35 braid as my main line, and #15(less with bait) as a leader with a spinning reel and the fish don't mind at all. Save the money and only change your leader size and loose the snap swivel too.

I'd suggest sticking to blades and learn to fish them well. You can also fish them without a float and hit bottom every now and then with good success too if the water is deep enough or flowing good. If you loose one it's no big cost, but you shouldn't loose much ( I rarely do). Also make sure with blades that your hook is properly sized for the blade so that the point hangs past the blade.

Now the most important part.... understand what is going on in the water and how the action works and where it sits in the water column. ;)

Also, try going farther up river where there is less pressure and more spots. I never did well in the lower while others have during my earlier years as it is busy and spots fill fast leaving you slim pickens unless you know what you are doing.... and it is still busy.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »

One of you experts should offer to take this guy out.Thats the best way to learn is to go with somebody experienced.