Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The plight of a noob  (Read 11848 times)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: The plight of a noob
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 07:29:14 PM »

One thing not mentioned here is luck. During the pink run I got into many fish and landed a lot less, but there were days and weeks where I would get nothing. And that was fishing every couple days. My girlfriend coming with me about half the time, doing the same things I do, got one bite for the season. That was it. Im not saying there isnt things you should adjust, and try differently and all that, but luck does play a role. I wish you luck, and as a beginner the only advice I can offer that I know works is keep switching it up. Whether its retrieve speed on spoons and spinners, depth, bait, casting distance, size of everything. Frustration happens, but a day fishing with no fish is still a hell of a lot of fun!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »

If I were you I will keep the braid line for the time being and just add a 9 feet extension of your mainline by adding your existing 20lb Chameleon using an albright or modified albright knot. Your float and lead will ride on the Chameleon and end with a swivel. For leader, purchase Maxima Ultragreen 25m leader spools in 8lbs for coho and 12lbs for spring salmon and you should be set with minimum outlays until you get the feel for what suits you.

Normally for biginners, roe is the easiest way to catch salmon as they are attracted to this for many reasons and tend to hold on to it longer than others facilitating good hook sets. For hook size, for coho try #4 for artificials (wool or jensen eggs) and #2 or 4 for roe depending on size of roe skeins used. For springs, start with #2 for artificials and #1 for roe and resize depending on situation.

Spend time on the river observing where and how other fisherman are landing salmon and try to learn from what they are doing. Patience and persistance are one quaility often found in good fisherman. :)

JPW

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »

I'd personally just leave the braid, I find it easier to pick any bird nests out and better for mending when drift fishing.  I would just suggest, as others have, that you downsize your terminal tackle.   Go to 8lb flouro, #3 hook, small roe or wool or whatever presentation and keep everything short.  Coho will rise to strike, no point in risking getting snagged up.  As for luck, first light can be a big help, incoming tides also play a factor.  What I have found is the most important factor is finding areas that aren't being pounded by a bunch of other fisherman.  If you're the first to cast in, presentation and choice of lure becomes less of a factor.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »

Another thing is if you want to get some action and get the hang of things, try the Stave. I would not recommend fishing the crowds, but walk away from them as much as you can so you can have a better experience. Fish purple/pink or chartruse/black jigs a foot or two under your float. These fish are very aggressive and will be a nice change from getting skunked. As for reading water, after spending time out on the river and pulling out some fish, you will start to develop a pattern. You will notice that some types of water will produce better than others and you will be able to choose your spots accordingly. Send me a message if there is anything else you would like to know.

Cheers

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 09:20:35 PM »

Wow... don't use braid, spining reels, etc.... ::)

I use #35 braid as my main line, and #15(less with bait) as a leader with a spinning reel and the fish don't mind at all. Save the money and only change your leader size and loose the snap swivel too.

He's obviously attempting to learn how to float fish. Just because you may be able to maintain a proper drift with a spinning reel doesn't mean that the average fisherman can, let alone a beginner.

For the life of me I can't understand why people on hear keep telling people that they 'can' catch fish using ineffective gear/techniques. Yes I could go out and catch a steelhead on a mickey mouse spincast rod using a piece of flagging tape for bait. Doesn't mean I'll be fishing very effectively but sure, if I kept at it I could probably get one.

I'll second BCfisherman97's comments. Go to the Stave. Float. Weight. Bent Rod's Pink Jig. Prawn. You'll clobber them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:22:18 PM by Sterling C »
Actions speak louder than words.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »

He's obviously attempting to learn how to float fish. Just because you may be able to maintain a proper drift with a spinning reel doesn't mean that the average fisherman can, let alone a beginner.

For the life of me I can't understand why people on hear keep telling people that they 'can' catch fish using ineffective gear/techniques. Yes I could go out and catch a steelhead on a mickey mouse spincast rod using a piece of flagging tape for bait. Doesn't mean I'll be fishing very effectively but sure, if I kept at it I could probably get one.

I'll second BCfisherman97's comments. Go to the Stave. Float. Weight. Bent Rod's Pink Jig. Prawn. You'll clobber them.

Totally agree.

35lb braid?  what do you need that for? You can't float fish a run properly using a spinning reel.  Tossing blue fox spinners and Croc spoons yes, but not float fishing roe.  Take it from someone who has limited out on coho practically every trip this year:

For coho:

#4 gammie, 24 inches or less of 8lb flourocarbon leader, 1.5 inches pencil lead, 20 gram cleardrift or Drennan float, 12lb mono mainline

For coho, chum and spring:

#4 to #1 gammie, 24 inches or less of 10 to 12lb flourocarbon leader, 1.5 inches pencil lead, 20 gram cleardrift or Drennan float, 15lb mono mainline.

Of course the amount of lead or length of leader will vary with the water conditions so those are just guidelines.

Lures or bait in order of preference:

Roe (spring coho or pink) (procure or pautzke)
Blades (colorado or french) if weighted use a spin setup
Jigs (pink over purple) (Chartruese over blue)
Spoons (crocs, koho)
Yarn (peach, baby pink)

Don't be afraid to fish in crowds sometimes.  You should have confidence that you will outfish all the others in your run using the setup I have described above.

doja

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »

Actually... I've caught 7 steelhead in 10 trips my first and only year fishing for steelhead with a spinning outfit(not bad!) . And laughed every time someone with a pin or bait-caster couldn't believe I caught one on a spinning outfit....

Is it ideal for drifting bait... no, although it can easily be done just as well (use brain), and I can do just as good as the next guy (usually better) as I always have on the river... but hey, feel free to take me to your favorite spot and school me... :D

AND... some people (like me) just don't like bait casters.... maybe I'm scared it will turn me into an "elitist", LOL

And, FYI, drifting isn't the only way to catch fish..... but feel free to limit your self and the OP. :-\

The point is I'm able to out fish most people, and possible even the "above" people with relatively the same setup as the OP so it is more along the lines he's doing something wrong, not the choice in gear.

You guys may limit out, but why.... is it your spots? I bet so as that's how I do well... combined with skill.

I also agree to checking out the stave.

PS, sterling... if my gear is ''ineffective'' then how do I catch fish so often? I'd like to know...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:44:43 PM by doja »

DRP79

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »

Thanks for all the info guys.

I have been using #2 gamikatsu (sp?) hooks for yarn and roe and #2 Colorados in silver and gold, smooth and hammered finish.

I have some #4 hooks as well so Ill give those a shot next time out.

I bought some roe too which I have since thrown out. I had a hell of a time getting it to stay on, it seemed too wet and loose. Some of the end pieces worked great but most other pieces were good for a cast, maybe 2.

Stratocaster, you say the amount of weight and leader lenght vary depending on water conditions, could you elaborate please?

I get that in faster water, you need more weight to get the presentation down but how does it affest leader lenght?

Thanks again guys.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 09:18:19 AM »

Stratocaster, you say the amount of weight and leader lenght vary depending on water conditions, could you elaborate please?
I get that in faster water, you need more weight to get the presentation down but how does it affest leader lenght?
Thanks again guys.

Clearer and slower water, I generally use a longer leader for a more steathy presentation but I don't go over 24 inches.  Longer leaders in faster water will not get your bait down fast enough and can become flossing tools if you are fishing too deep.  Cure your own roe if you can.  I know you may need to catch a fish first but sometimes, walking around the Vedder up mid river you can find a skein or two from some generous angler.  Spring roe is effective and is tough as nails.  I recommend Pautzkes cure as that has worked for me very well this year.  Roe has caught the majority of the fish for me this year.  Even Chums will take my roe (especially the cleaner does).  if you just want to catch a fish and don't want the hassle of dealing with roe, then a pink/purple jig fished under a float will do well for chums at the stave.

Good luck!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »

Also, where to fish is just as important as how to fish.
As a beginner it is best to go look for willing biters or fresh run salmon to have a chance of catching a salmon in good condition using ethical methods.
Vedder is pretty much at tail end of season for fresh run fish so maybe Stave with later running salmon will be a better place to practice your fishing.

DRP79

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »

Thanks for the info and I think Ill give the Stave a shot in the next couple days, Ive never been but still have 2 weeks of holidays before I go back to work.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »

Actually... I've caught 7 steelhead in 10 trips my first and only year fishing for steelhead with a spinning outfit(not bad!) . And laughed every time someone with a pin or bait-caster couldn't believe I caught one on a spinning outfit....

Is it ideal for drifting bait... no, although it can easily be done just as well (use brain), and I can do just as good as the next guy (usually better) as I always have on the river... but hey, feel free to take me to your favorite spot and school me... :D

AND... some people (like me) just don't like bait casters.... maybe I'm scared it will turn me into an "elitist", LOL

And, FYI, drifting isn't the only way to catch fish..... but feel free to limit your self and the OP. :-\

The point is I'm able to out fish most people, and possible even the "above" people with relatively the same setup as the OP so it is more along the lines he's doing something wrong, not the choice in gear.

You guys may limit out, but why.... is it your spots? I bet so as that's how I do well... combined with skill.

I also agree to checking out the stave.

PS, sterling... if my gear is ''ineffective'' then how do I catch fish so often? I'd like to know...

I hate to break it to you but 7 for 10 is just really good luck for your first Steelhead season, no way round that. I will say though that the spinning reel as much as I hate them, is the gear of choice for many when it comes to float fishing, not in BC but back east and in the states, so it can be done
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:45:02 AM by hue-nut »

adecadelost

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »

Most of this is great info.  focus on your technique and getting your presentation to where the fish are.
You can catch fish on any gear.  Having the right gear makes this easier, but don't get too concerned with having the best.  What you have is fine just lighten up on your leader.

One thing I might point out that hasn't been mentioned is you state that you try and let your float drift naturally.  This is good you do want a natural drift to happen.  But on your initial set up try holding back the float a little bit so that it points slightly upstream.  This allows your hook and weight to get ahead of your float and ensures that it is the first thing the fish sees.
You have to remember that often the water on the top is moving faster then the water at the bottom.
If you just cast out and let your float drift, your float will lead.  This means your line and weight is going to smack the fish in the head before your hook gets to them.
Hold your float back a bit and let your hook get ahead of it.

This is one of the biggest things I see newbies missing.  They still catch fish but it usually ends up being on the swing once the hook gets out in front, rather then on the drift.  Set up your presentation right at the beginning of the drift and you'll have much better success.

DRP79

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 10:01:12 AM »

Thats what I had been doing when I use the colorado, just hold it back a bit so I can feel the spinner working. Ill give that a shot with the other gear next time.

Another thing that has been happening to me is Ill reall my line in and notice that my leader became tangled around the weight so obviously that drift wasnt doing me any good. Is this just casting technique or because of the snap swivel?

adecadelost

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 10:04:38 AM »

It's hard to say but likely your casting technique.
Do you side arm your cast a bit or straight over the head?