Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The plight of a noob  (Read 11850 times)

DRP79

Re: The plight of a noob
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »

Ive been trying both, I notice it more with a more sidearm type cast.

adecadelost

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »

every one develops their own style that works for them so use what is working.
I personally find that the overhead casts often whip the leader around the weight.
For me the best cast is from the side and should be done as more of an underhand flip rather then overhead.

JPW

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 11:02:01 AM »

Casting is definitely a personal preference thing, but that being said you'll also have a much more enjoyable experience if you learn all the different techniques.  That versatility will become hugely beneficial when trying to fish untouched water in hard to access areas were only one style of cast will accommodate your area of access.  With regards to the leader tangling with the main line, I would suggest focusing on finesse.  Lots of guys whip their gear out there and it can work, but again, it won't always work.  If you learn to get a gentle swing that uses the inertia of the gear to pull the line out you'll find yourself dealing with less tangles.  This applies whether overhand or side, don't just flick it, focus on being smooth and placing the float on the water.  My 2 cents.

doja

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 11:32:05 AM »

Ive been trying both, I notice it more with a more sidearm type cast.

How is your weight attached? I use the  "crimp on the tag" method and if it is too far from the swivel it causes it to spin messing up the line. You also don't need the snap swivel. And how much weight are you using?

Also, when I cast I hold back just before my gear hits the water so it lays out straight when it hits the water. Not doing so can cause it to pile on top of each other leading to a tangle.

PS, hue-nut says I was lucky with my steel-head ::)....I  attribute it to a book I studied about fishing, rigging, methods, etc, and it has helped me greatly!!! I forget what the book was called though. Something about steel-heading from the Burnaby library. ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:45:37 AM by doja »

jon5hill

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »

Don't listen to the other guys.

All you have to do is find the fish.

CastCatch

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »

Don't listen to the other guys.

All you have to do is find the fish.

How to find the fish then?  ::)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 07:10:43 PM »

Thats what I had been doing when I use the colorado, just hold it back a bit so I can feel the spinner working. Ill give that a shot with the other gear next time.

Another thing that has been happening to me is Ill reall my line in and notice that my leader became tangled around the weight so obviously that drift wasnt doing me any good. Is this just casting technique or because of the snap swivel?

This has nothing to do with casting technique and everything to do with line twist. What happens is as your colorado spins in the water your line will twist on itself. A standard barrel swivel will help to slow this process but will not eliminate the problem.

My solution to this problem is to use a chain swivel whenever fishing colorados and to give my line a second to 'untwist' between casts.
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »

Thanks for all the tips guys as I have only landed 2 adult coho this season. :-[ ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »

Thanks for all the tips guys as I have only landed 2 adult coho this season. :-[ ;D

That's because you stick so stubbornly to roe.
There are times (quite often, actually) that coho will take only artificials (tiny wool ties, small spoons and spinners, flies). There are times when roe simply DOES NOT WORK.

JPW

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »

There are times when roe simply DOES NOT WORK.

Shhhhhhhhh!  :P

This is blasphemy roe always works!  Don't listen to milo, keep using roe and I'll just bumble along with my artificials!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »

Everytime I have been out this year, artificial have been outfishing roe or other baits. Over 3/4 of all my fish hooked have been on blades, jigs or spinners.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »

I have caught 15-20 coho, and lost a few, I think I've only had two hooked on spinners, the rest on roe.

So, in conclusion my roe is lethal .

JPW

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »

Really I think it just comes down to fishing whatever you choose effectively and that comes with confidence.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/09/03/be-confident-on-your-lures/
http://www.larrysfishinghole.com/aug11.html

DRP79

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 08:54:25 PM »

So I checked out the stave today for a couple hours.  I also went with smaller hooks and thinner leader this time. Got one bite with a black and red jig and then that's went untouched. I then switched to a #4 hook with a peach and orange yarn tie and afterafter about 10 mins I got a hit from a big gnarly looking chum and landed him, woohoo, LOL.

I unintentially foul hooked one too which happens I guess. All in all, a good couple hour exploration trip. Will definitely go back.

koko

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 10:23:33 AM »

You have to go out more often Chris ;D. You are a funny man, you can't possibly land just two adult.