Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vancouver Island, November 1st 2011: Topped 100 today!  (Read 4391 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Vancouver Island, November 1st 2011: Topped 100 today!
« on: November 01, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »

This is the first year I decided to actually keep tally of the amount of coho I caught in the fall. I am actually surprised at how many fish I've managed in only a month's time and only 14 trips. Makes me wonder how many fish I've had previous years (as this year has not been as good with the best day being 25 fish). Keep in mind this is only on the island, I did fairly well on the mainland the couple times I've been back home. To more in depth explain why I am doing this, I am trying to map out beach run and river run timings more accurately so I can now go back every year around these times.

So the report to break 100 today....

Left dorms at around 7:30 and started to make my way to the river. Was a little disappointed with my late start as I had to leave the river at 11 since I had class at 12:oo pm. I arrive at the river at around 8 and after gearing up and setting up the rods it was around 8:20 when I first got on the water.

I decide to start with the fly rod as usual. This year it hasn't been as good for me, only 33 out of the 97 fish up to this point have been fooled into the fly. Most of that success was in a span of 2 days where I hit 10 one day and 11 the next and then after that it was around 2-3 per day. I decide to rig up with the flash fly, as this seems to be the only thing they are hitting at the moment (earlier on in the year the hot ones were Mickey Finn, Kelsey's Hope and California Neils - all tied in my own versions).

I start taking my first few casts and decide I am going to stick with a slow retrieve today. It is below freezing this morn as I had ice on my wind shield, I figure the fish will be somewhat lethargic and won't want to move fast. To make sure of this I start with one cast fast strip and the next cast slow. I hook my first fish around 5 mins into the morning. This is a very large, and very chrome coho. Maybe the biggest one I have hooked all year, probably pushing close to 17 or 18 pnds. After a 5 or so min fight he starts surrendering. He starts nearing the shore, then feel the rocks on his belly and goes for one last run, and bends the hook out  :-\

I have one more flash fly. I put it on and start casting again. The very next cast I have a follower again, he takes a swipe and I somehow miss, I tend to that that when I can see them, always over react. Around another 10 casts or so and I hit another nice fish. This one finally comes in after a very spirited fight. It amazes me how well these fish fight even though they are in water near freezing cold. Makes me wonder about how people say steelhead will not move, sure felt like steelhead today and they were definitely chasing.

Next cast I lose the flash fly on a overhanging tree. This is one disadvantage of this river. You have to roll cast right under the trees along the far side to get it in front of all the fish hiding there. Tend to lose a lot of flies. I tried Mickey finns and Kelsey's Hopes but do no avail... spoon time.

First cast with the spoon with a gold hammered croc 3/8 with an orange stripe. I start jigging it and on the 3rd jig I get a big hit and fish number 100 is finally on the line. I land it and tail it for a quick pic. Not the prettiest fish with a small gash, and a hatchery to boot (still catch and release) but it was still chrome and put up a hell of a fight.

I end up hooking one more fish on the gold hammered croc, on the next cast after that, but lose it after around a 2 min fight in a jump. I decide to switch up spoons to an orange and silver little cleo, in the 1/4th size. These have become my favourite spoon in the last week or so. They stay very deep in the water column, don't take much reeling speed to get going, have amazing action and the fish tend to go crazy over them.

First cast I hit a fish reeling it in. I once again pop it off and lose it. Next cast I barley have the bail flipped over before a fish is peeling line. It smoked the spoon on the flutter down and it's a hot little guy. I get him to the beach after a spirited tussel. I get him into my hand, go to take the pliers to get the hook out and he freaks out and swims up the beach. I grab him and pull him back into the water quickly. This fish still has lots of fight and takes off again, this time between my legs and snaps me off, losing the only orange and silver cleo I have  :'(

I now put on a silver little cleo in size 5/8. No other fish in this run want anything to do with it, so I decide to go to one more run. This run you are fishing off a small bluff, around 5 feet up from the water. You can see right to the bottom and see all the coho sitting in there. My very first cast I start jigging the spoon in and a fish takes a swipe. It misses but turns around and swipes again, another miss. I keep bringing the spoon in, it keeps following. I am no out of room, right up against the rock wall. He doesn't seem to care about me and really wants this spoon. At this point I am jigging right up and down and he takes another swipe, and a miss. I do one more jig and decide to let it flutter to the bottom. He turns one more time and slams it as it's fluttering and I have him hooked. I guide him down to the shallow tailout and tail him.

That was my last fish of the day. Went four for seven in just over 2 hours. Missed/barbed around 7 other fish. Not too bad, glad they are still around. Seems the season started way earlier than normal this year and has now gone past the "normal" 27th annual rain cut off. It also seems more fish are holding out in the ocean, so I might be fishing until mid November at this rate! 2 of the fish even had sea lice still today  ;D

So I've had a banner year. Definitely one for the books. Haven't really been any banner 50+ fish days like previous years, but the fishing has been more spread out allowing me to get out more. Only getting 5-10 fish in a normal day also makes me appreciate them more when I do finally get into them and not just say "O another coho" having it get somewhat boring. Another thing I've noticed is their hesitation to take flies this year, but it hasn't bothered me since I picked up a light 8 foot spin casting rod so it is still a lot of fun. Experimenting with different techniques with spoons and flies has also been a good experience, along with targeting different water with these methods. And you can't beat scenery like this without anyone around:

bluenoser

Re: Vancouver Island, November 1st 2011: Topped 100 today!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:55:22 AM »

Awesome....great pics as usual

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:19:31 AM »

alright.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:39:18 AM by summersteel »
Fish on!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »

actually counting your fish and posting it, what ever the reason = pretty cheesy.
In your opinion.

Great pics Every Day.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »

In your opinion.

Great pics Every Day.
   ya, I take that back, just my knee jerk reaction I guess. Plus I'm busy for the next while and can't get out myself.
Fish on!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »

Beautiful pics and report ED! :)

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »

Man ED! those are some sweet coho's! Great pics too.
well done sir.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »

ya, I take that back, just my knee jerk reaction I guess. Plus I'm busy for the next while and can't get out myself.

It's all good. If you actually read the first paragraph.. well you'll realize why...

It's mostly about mapping out when peak days are on the rivers and beaches. I have a log book from the last 3 years, but never really put in how many fish per day (which I wish I would have done to better see what were the best days/peak run times). Seems to be peak around the week of the 21st-28th every year so far, but this has been a weird year with 2 pushes that were smaller rather than one huge one. It was nice because it allowed me to get out way more over the course of a month rather than 2 or 3 times in 10 days.

Do the same thing for steelhead. Believe me, it helps a lot to figure out where they are at what times, it's similar every year.

Cheers,
Dan

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »

Nothing like fishing directly beside the highway but at least you can walk to tim hortens.

clujalolo

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »

Nice fish, i saw in some of ur other posts, u go beach fising....im assuming thats on the island? Have u ever gone here in vancouver?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 11:10:49 PM »

Nothing like fishing directly beside the highway but at least you can walk to tim hortens.

Only at one or two of the spots :P
Have to admit, it's a very pretty river even though it is urbanized in the lower.
Way rather fish this flow than any other, 10 min walk and you feel like you are all alone and some really nice holes. Even better you can have huge fish days.
Beaches and some other rivers are my true getaways out here if I want serenity and not fish.

PS I wouldn't wanna walk to timmies, thats a long walk  :P

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »

I dont believe you...

I want to see a  picture of each one of these fish!  ;)
The Bigger The Better!

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »

Only at one or two of the spots :P
Have to admit, it's a very pretty river even though it is urbanized in the lower.
Way rather fish this flow than any other, 10 min walk and you feel like you are all alone and some really nice holes. Even better you can have huge fish days.
Beaches and some other rivers are my true getaways out here if I want serenity and not fish.

PS I wouldn't wanna walk to timmies, thats a long walk  :P

Ya its about 400m from where you hit most of your fish.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 12:26:26 AM »

Ya its about 400m from where you hit most of your fish.

I think you need to get your distances down a little better if you think timmies is a 400 m walk... Its a 5 min drive, unless you walk really fast and I drive really slow.
What's the problem with it any ways? As said before I'd rather fish this river than the Vedder or most other mainland flows or even island flows in fact. And before you think I only fish a couple island flows, I know a lot more than you think and fish them, and they aren't at all urbanized, some are well over an hour out of cell service. Guess it's a crime to fish on an urbanized river.

Also, just because I posted pics of 2 runs that I fish which are indeed urbanized (which apparently is too low end as far as fishing goes for you) doesn't mean I don't fish the upper which has nothing around. It also doesn't mean that I spend all my time there. Once again, even if I did, I don't see it as being as big of a deal as you do for some reason?

This is exactly why I've given up on sites and never post any more. People like you just can't take a report for what it is. Stop reading my reports and bitching about them, and maybe get off your my friend and fish and maybe post something yourself if you have such a problem. Guess this'll be the last time I throw something up for a while, so pointless listening to all the whining and pointless criticism. Surprised you didn't get on my my friend for having the fish not far enough in the water.

Have a good rest of the season boys,
Dan