Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, November 4th 2011  (Read 3568 times)

jacked55

Stave River, November 4th 2011
« on: November 04, 2011, 04:33:37 PM »

After many hours of reading and learning from posting on here, i decided to head out today and give the Stave River a try for the first time. I made my way into the parking lot at the rec site which i think is where peopel call, the toilet bowl. Upon parking my vehicle around 09:30am another white car with 2 asian gentlemen parked right beside me. They happened to be getting dressed into their fishing gear so i decided to chat them up. Extremely friendly gentlemen, after a few minutes of chatting i asked them if they could point me in the direction of where to start since this was my first time and they actually said to come on with them.
I followed them to an area which seemed pretty busy to me, maybe 15 fishermen packed into about a 75 foot long area? At first i just took my time gearing up and was trying to take notice of how everyone was fishing and where the fish seemed to be. I did notice that most of the people there were indeed flossers, most leaders were well over the 3 foot length but a couple people were using spinners and 1 guy was using roe. Majority of people were using just plain pink wool including the two gentlemen that i was with. So i tied up my 10lb mono line with a piece of small pink wool and gave it a go. While i was trying to cast into different areas and adjusting my float depth to stay off the bottom i noticed that almost everyone was getting to play fish. Alot of the flossers i saw down from me were dragging fish way up onto the rocks by their tails and backs and whatever followed up by the popular kick back into the river. But i was determined not to let these people ruin my first outing.
After about my 5 cast i was watching my line and at first i said to myself, " hey where did my float go?" then the stun of realization settled in, holy cupcakes fish-on! I set the hook and OMG i was not ready for the fight that ensued. Jumping, thrashing and bending my rod like i never seen!
When the day was all said and done, i had managed to land a 14.3lb nice male, and a smaller 6.5lb female. In total i played 12 fish, all chums and all but 2 were hooked inside the mouth. The 2 that were fouled actually freed themselves from my line on their own accord. Both the 2 i kept seemed in good shape, although since these were my first chum salmon i have ever caught i wasnt sure what to really look for? Obviously there was no white rot on them, wounds, etc.
The 2 gentlemen i was fishing with both got their limit and were leaving at the same time as me and offered to take me to the area where the coho hold up, so i was supposed to meet them down the beach a little ways but when i remembered to look at my phone to check the time, i realized it was 12:18pm and i had to be at work at 1:30pm, so i had to leave. I did not get a chance to tell them thank you for all their help during my first outing which was a great time. With all the bad reports about beeks and such showing up at the Stave, i was very grateful to have met these two super friendly guys, i hope you two are on this website and read this because you two helepd make my first Stave trip very memorable.

poper

Re: Stave River, November 4th 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »

I thought chum where closed in the stave?

driftdriven

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »

Glad to hear you had a great time! I love Stave river and I always find people there super friendly.....even though there are so many flossers!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »

I thought chum where closed in the stave?

Got to follow the bouncing ball.  Updates are made on an almost daily basis during salmon season.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=137279&ID=all
Not all those who wander are lost

poper

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:43 PM »

Thanks.

iRobertO

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:12:21 PM »

There were tons last weekend, but they were all near death (or dead). What is the condition of them now? I don't ask because I want to retain any, but near dead chum aren't the most entertaining fight :)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »

That sounds like a good first time out! Congrats on the good fishing!

gman

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »

Both the 2 i kept seemed in good shape, although since these were my first chum salmon i have ever caught i wasnt sure what to really look for?

Sounds like a great first day salmon fishing.  :) NOthing like lots of action to get the technique down.
Quality of fish to keep is a bit subjective. If keeping chum, I tend to look at the colour of the belly and chin. I have found that  if they are pretty white there, then a bit of colour on the sides does not seem to  affect the eating quality too much, even compared to much birghter ones. I would release those with a grey or dark belly.
You can see how you like the taste of the ones you kept and use that as a guide going forward as to what fish to keep or release.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:30:50 AM by gman »

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »

Nice man! Glad you enjoyed your trip out.  I was out last monday with my boat.  PINK and WHITE JIGS with some shrimp for scent were just killing them.

Were all decently clean last monday.  I was able to also pull out my fly rod and hook on to this chrome chum.  All were released because it was closed then as well.

I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

jacked55

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »

My new avatar picture was the first one of the day i caught. Good fighter too. Would this be considered too dark? Most of the ones i saw were about this much coloured. i was told by people around this was ok, that most chums look like this once they leave the salt water? BS or accurate?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »

My new avatar picture was the first one of the day i caught. Good fighter too. Would this be considered too dark? Most of the ones i saw were about this much coloured. i was told by people around this was ok, that most chums look like this once they leave the salt water? BS or accurate?

Personal preference. This is as "dark" as I would like it if I am considering keeping one.

jacked55

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »

Thanks Rod, now i know what to aim for.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 04:46:41 PM »

was a fair number of decent clean chum today plus a few sparklers in the mix  ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »

they only get that way after some time away from salt water...it's up to you how dark you're willing to retain fish...myself, i would be more selective.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 07:07:29 AM »

Thanks Rod, now i know what to aim for.

Rod's fish is as about as clean as they come in freshwater.  I have pulled chum out of a gill net in the staits that were as "dark" as his, or this one...

...that was taken in the lower Sumas portion of the Vedder.  Most will be much more colourful, but they will still have a lot of silver in the scales.  I caught a few yesterday like that, looking silvery in the water, but still very colourful out of the water.  A good test is the belly flesh.  Once it is turning black, you are better off releasing it.  Your picture, small as it is it is hard to tell, does not look too black, but the dark green colours on the back and absence of silver sheen in the scales, suggest it is probably old enough to warrant a release.
Not all those who wander are lost