Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson  (Read 17407 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Thompson
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:53:35 PM »

Ok guys, I'm ready to get drilled, but I really need some help here.

Me and a couple buddies are going to go the the Thompson on Saturday. I have never been there, and would really like to give it a try. I'm assuming we will all be gear fishing at this time. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows any access points or could recommend somewhere where I could find some (maybe maps, can you see any on google earth?). I don't want specific spots, there will more than likely be 4 of us covering water running different things, so we would like to do a lot of leg work and not sit in one general area.

So is anyone willing to give up some parking/access areas? Please email me at steelheadfishing@hotmail.com or feel free to post and help others out if you want. And before you start drilling me, I don't even want to hear it, save your posts for elsewhere. My only weekend home and if I need to I'll drive around most of the day but would like to have at least one stretch we can cover.

Thanks guys,
Cheers,
Dan

the carp

Re: Thompson
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »

Dan, the thompson is a huge river and intimidates many first time anglers. It is a treat to fish even if you don't hook anything. If you look for where the cars are parked along the hwy. you will get a good read as to accesible water. A good starting point is the goldpan area there is good water both upstream and down. If i can help any more email me at carpent@shaw.ca enjoy the experience
carp

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »

Just remember, the rocks are very slippery so put cleats in the soles of your wading boots if you can.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:35:35 PM »

Also remember a pair of diapers because you will Sh*t your waders when you start fishing your first run and realize its bigger than all the water in the Chilliwack put together.....and your are supposed to find a Steelhead in there!!!!

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:43:26 PM »

It's a big river all right but look for steelhead water and you can find fish. Just break the river down like you would any river and start working the fishy water.  Access for most of the river is pretty good.  Roads run along side good chunks of the river and you will find parking pretty easily.  Some spots take a little driving to find but Google earth is your friend.
President Club S. C. & P.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:51 PM »

Also remember a pair of diapers because you will Sh*t your waders when you start fishing your first run and realize its bigger than all the water in the Chilliwack put together.....and your are supposed to find a Steelhead in there!!!!

I have slowly worked my way up on big water. Stamp was intimidating at first, but if you look at it and look at easiest route you can easily find fish.
Just about covering water, which I'm confident in doing for the most part. I'm not really expecting any fish, just excited to hang out with buddies and explore a new area!

Thanks for all the info guys! Much appreciated, especially to those who sent me detailed emails!

Cheers,
Dan

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:41:52 AM »

I only fished for steelhead once a few years ago on the Thompson, with the Master. Caught one on my second cast so they must not be that hard to find. ;D ;D

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »

Dan, the thompson is a huge river and intimidates many first time anglers. It is a treat to fish even if you don't hook anything. If you look for where the cars are parked along the hwy. you will get a good read as to accesible water. A good starting point is the goldpan area there is good water both upstream and down. If i can help any more email me at carpent@shaw.ca enjoy the experience
carp

Its true.. Just drive from Lytton to Goldpan, you will see cars parked on the side of the highway.

Verdi

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »

did i miss something when did the Thompson open for fishing, I though it was closed Oct 1.

I can't find it in notices.

this is from the regs
Below signs at Kamloops LakeΣ: Class II water Oct 1-Dec 31 and Steelhead stamp mandatory Oct 1-Dec 31 (when open)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:39:16 PM by Verdi »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »

did i miss something when did the Thompson open for fishing, I though it was closed Oct 1.

I can't find it in notices.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/1113/region3.html

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »

You must purchase a classified waters license. And steelhead tag but assume you allready have one. Vedder rules dont apply either, give any other anglers lots of space, if you see a guy at the head of the run fish above him dont ever cut in below someone or be prepared to get thrown in the river, not even joking...

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »

Its true.. Just drive from Lytton to Goldpan, you will see cars parked on the side of the highway.

There are many pools where fish will rest from their journey up the white water. But I agree with hue-nut, water is very intimidating at times. Have fun but be safe. Rocks are very slippery and I have seen a person die in the summer. Never gonna forget that. I slipped in the river twice and one time I was lucky I got out. Have a blast and I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers 

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »

1oz Iron heads and K4 Wobblers...

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 10:47:57 PM »

K4 Wobblers...

Can't fish from a boat....