Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson  (Read 17431 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Thompson
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »

1oz Iron heads and K4 Wobblers...

PLEASE replace the oversized stock hooks (ie: 4/0 Siwash) with smaller ones (2/0 Siwash), in my experience, large spoon hooks very often lead to extensive bleeding.  There are not many Thompson steelhead, so loosing even a couple to hook wounds would be very unfortunate.  I have not found landing ratio to be noticeably changed by downsizing the hooks and you're more likely to be able to bend out the hook if it snags up.  I've never opened up a 2/0 hook on a fish.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:48:29 PM by Matt »

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 11:59:28 PM »

As Zach said, K4 Wobblers are a spoon made by Gibbs. 

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 07:35:33 AM »

K4 wobbler is a spoon and they rock....

My bad... Didn't know you even posted here lol
Actions speak louder than words.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »

Ok guys, I'm ready to get drilled, but I really need some help here.

Me and a couple buddies are going to go the the Thompson on Saturday. I have never been there, and would really like to give it a try. I'm assuming we will all be gear fishing at this time. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows any access points or could recommend somewhere where I could find some (maybe maps, can you see any on google earth?). I don't want specific spots, there will more than likely be 4 of us covering water running different things, so we would like to do a lot of leg work and not sit in one general area.

So is anyone willing to give up some parking/access areas? Please email me at steelheadfishing@hotmail.com or feel free to post and help others out if you want. And before you start drilling me, I don't even want to hear it, save your posts for elsewhere. My only weekend home and if I need to I'll drive around most of the day but would like to have at least one stretch we can cover.

Thanks guys,
Cheers,
Dan
Dont bother,the river is a shadow of its former self. Shouldnt even be open with such low numbers returning.Just glad i got to fish it during the glory days. ;D

the carp

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 08:14:46 PM »

the thompson will never be a shadow of its former self, it is a gorgeous magnificent body of water that we in b.c. are privileged to have, yes the steelhead run is a shadow of what it once was, but there is so much more to enjoy about the river, the scenery, the wildlife, the other species of fish, i have fished the thompson for many years sometimes hooking numbers of fish, and sometimes hooking none. i will continue to fish the river as long as i can and encourage those who haven't to do so maybe if enough awareness is raised something can be done. i can't wait to get back up there and fish again, and bring home some fresh sage that grows the length of the river.

Danube Boy

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »

the thompson will never be a shadow of its former self, it is a gorgeous magnificent body of water that we in b.c. are privileged to have, yes the steelhead run is a shadow of what it once was, but there is so much more to enjoy about the river, the scenery, the wildlife, the other species of fish, i have fished the thompson for many years sometimes hooking numbers of fish, and sometimes hooking none. i will continue to fish the river as long as i can and encourage those who haven't to do so maybe if enough awareness is raised something can be done. i can't wait to get back up there and fish again, and bring home some fresh sage that grows the length of the river.

Nice post and great attitude.
While positive thinking alone (without action) may not lead to progress, it stands a far greater chance of influencing others to act upon a cause than negative thinking.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »

I think the negative, is hordes of anglers flocking to the T to pincushion what is left of a once great run.I find sadness in that.These last remaining fish need to spawn unharrased by the so called Sport Angler.You can fight to save the fish in other ways.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 11:28:18 PM »

your missing the point Dennis, if the T remains closed for to many consecutive years then some/most people will start to not watch for openings or notices about whats going on for the river and its fish/wildlife and this is what would really be the bad thing. Without people willing to care for a certain system it will just get forgotten all together and then things will become very bleek because the powers that be will also stop caring without people constantly on their case. The people that want to fish this once great steelhead run are the same people that send emails and do charities to raise money, there is actually an auction/fundraiser for the T next week at a bar here in the lower mainland (somewhere downtown i think) lets be glad we have something like The Steelhead Society so that someone is keeping eyes on the systems that need it. I say if we have openins for a C&R fishery then its a good thing because most of the fisherman up there will be the same very people trying to protect it and overall save it from extinction.

Would i fish it ? i certainly would and if i had seen the opening before opening day i would have headed up for opening day and fished a couple days. Do i hope it opens every year ? its hard to answer that but im 50/50 on that one lets say. If it opens next year will I fish it ? I hope im able to but with a young family it makes longer day or multiple day trips alot harder to do without previous planning  ::)

and if i do fish it i will be fly only and not using heavy tips to dredge up fish, I rather fish a type 8 tip or lighter and have the fish crush it instead  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 04:38:42 AM »

Unfortunatly not all who head up there are as caring as you about the resource and ethical angling methods.Yes, there is an upcoming fund raiser and as im not able to attend I will be sending in a  donation for this great cause.It seems to me in this instance the desicion makers have bowed down to pressure and opened this fishery with only a projected 600 fish return.The old standard was an 800 fish return to have an opening.Dreadfully low numbers,and believe me the sports angler are doing these so few fish returning no favors by pincushioning them before they spawn.All this talk on the internet,such as ED asking for information on the where, is just advertising this opening to the masses.This is a very fragile fishery and cannot take any undue extra pressure.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 05:41:21 AM »

Good post the carp and Hook, there is a good side to this as there seems to be more fish than the projection, I say no more, today. ;D ;D ;D

Ah the carp, the smell of the sage is enough to make one go there too. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 10:26:48 AM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 11:18:08 AM »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »

Also that's why I go duck hunting these where no one argues. ;D ;D

No one argues because of what you are holding! ;D

Almost made it back to the river today, last minute change of plan. ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »

No one argues because of what you are holding! ;D

Almost made it back to the river today, last minute change of plan. ::)
  Yes you are correct. ;D

None there, just like other years. ;D ;D

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »

Starting to sound like the Vedder! Agressive anglers that think they own the river.Shameful that this behavior has now come to the T. The only good I can see of this sorry mess,is the local town of Spences Bridge benefitting from the influx of tourist dollars.