Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nooksack River, November 20th 2011  (Read 1571 times)

Steelie1030

Nooksack River, November 20th 2011
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:54:35 AM »

Fishing was good last weekend so I was chomping to give it one more try so I ventured down to the Nooksack again on Sunday.Got there about 12 noon and it was cold but I was surprised to see 8 vehicles in the parking area ( I wonder if my last report had anything to do with that; they were all Washington plates). The guys were spread out all over the place but I managed to get the spot I wanted. This time I took my centrepin and even though I am not great at casting it, I was able to get my presentation right to the edge of the seam. Short float and about a 16 inch leader. First cast , float down and fish on. I forgot about the hazards of a centrpin and got my knuckles rapped real good and with cold hands to boot. Fish beached and released. Exhale. Went on to beach another dozen or so..some in pretty good condition..one in amazing condition..some not so good...alll released. None of the Americans were float fishing, they were using coffee-grinders and a combo of spinners and lures and not having quite as much success until one of them down from me hooked what looked to be a chrome bright coho which cleared the water and ran downriver. He gave chase but lost it shortly after. He looked pissed especialy when his buddies were laughing. That's what buddies do, they remind you that fishing is to be enjoyed and relaxing. You get over it but never forget it. Anyways, another good outing even if it was for the most part alone. I've got to get another fishing partner..one with a passport

Animal Chin

Re: Nooksack River, November 20th 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »

I actually have a Washington freshwater license I used only once. If you need a fishing partner let  me know.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:17:25 AM by Animal Chin »

Steelie1030

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »

You can retain chum 2 per day on the Nooksack

jacked55

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

For the most part hwo do you find fishing in Washington? I have always thought about trying it as i enjoy goign to the USA but was wondering are you allowed to bring back fish?

Steelie1030

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:39:11 AM »

I've brought fish both ways across the border, I just make sure they know that I have them and properly recorded. The fishing in Washington can be very good at times and non-existant at others. The Nooksack has a tendency to blow-out easliy when it rains. It also does not have the runs of fish that the Vedder has, having said that I did catch three steelhead on the Nooksack last year but caught twelve or so on the Vedder and I spent more time fishing the Nooksack. The natives are also allowed to net the Nooksack which translates to poor numbers for the sportsfisherman. I spent some time fishing the Skagit this year below Burlington with modest success for pinks. The Skagit is a big river compared to the Vedder. Silver Lake has treated me very well for trout but can be busy at times. I also fished Baker Lake for sockeye this year..very different type of fishery but can be fun as well. I haven't ventured too far south but I hear there is some really good steelhead rivers waiting for me.

jacked55

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »

This year every time i went to burlington with the family, which is about once every 2 weeks, i looked at the skagit and was curious about it. There were alot of fishermen there and the people at Wholesale sports said that the salmon fishing in there is amazing. Maybe next season i will take my gear and give it a try if i can convince the boss to drop me off while she shops? lol.