Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riverside Dwellers  (Read 7269 times)

Preliator

Riverside Dwellers
« on: November 23, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »

I was exploring a stretch of river the other day and when I realized I would need to hop on dry land to get around some obstacles in the water. I stumbled upon what looked like a beaten down fisherman's path. Great, I thought, this should be easy. But then I noticed some stairs dug into the earth leading down towards the river's edge, and realized that there were some shanties built right where I was heading. I found another just a ways down, too. Now I am unsure if this path is even used by fisherman, but rather the dwellers whose homes I spotted. I decided to turn back as I didn't want to invade "their" space and wasn't sure what else was down this path. Has anyone ever ran into these people while fishing, and how did you handle the situation? 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Riverside Dwellers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:30:59 PM »

I have come across things like this before. I just walk right on through their camp, say hi to however is there and just keep on going.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 01:18:12 PM »

I've come across a few highly camouflaged tents in a forest within reach of a local flow but only because it was winter and there was no leaf growth to cover up these little places. I just motored through, usually noone was home but one time there was and I just gave the guy a nod but he looked pretty confused ahhahah there's nothing wrong with walking through, after all it is crown land you're walking on [presumably] and therefore nothing wrong with doing it

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:25:48 PM »

oh...I must mention the WEIRDEST one - I was fishing in this spot, noone was around; dead silence albeit te sound of the river. All of a sudden i hear this *PLUNK*. I was expecting to see a merganser or one of those diving brids but where i heard it the flow was much too fast. Keep in mind I am on one side, the sound was on the other side which is actually a sheer cliff face. I walk closer to there I hear the sound, and I see this rope with a small bag attached fall into the water again and thought...wtf?! When I stared into this thick area of brush I could make out a guy sitting in this very small indent in the cliff face, you could only see the bottom of his lips through his hood; I knew it was a person because of the well camoflaged, yet different color of green in front of the brown/grey backdrop of the cliff. He had what looked like some sort of tent lean-to behind him, which was covering the indent but resting on the cliff face. It was so weird, he would have had to climb down the cliff from the top to get to that spot [40 metres plus], and there was no way he could access it from the bottom because the river was rushing dangerously fast underneath, and deep too. I moved on after that as I had an eerie feeling, felt like it was some fugitive or someone who did not want to be found. Even moreso because there was noone around, and I don't think he saw me

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »

oh...I must mention the WEIRDEST one - I was fishing in this spot, noone was around; dead silence albeit te sound of the river. All of a sudden i hear this *PLUNK*. I was expecting to see a merganser or one of those diving brids but where i heard it the flow was much too fast. Keep in mind I am on one side, the sound was on the other side which is actually a sheer cliff face. I walk closer to there I hear the sound, and I see this rope with a small bag attached fall into the water again and thought...wtf?! When I stared into this thick area of brush I could make out a guy sitting in this very small indent in the cliff face, you could only see the bottom of his lips through his hood; I knew it was a person because of the well camoflaged, yet different color of green in front of the brown/grey backdrop of the cliff. He had what looked like some sort of tent lean-to behind him, which was covering the indent but resting on the cliff face. It was so weird, he would have had to climb down the cliff from the top to get to that spot [40 metres plus], and there was no way he could access it from the bottom because the river was rushing dangerously fast underneath, and deep too. I moved on after that as I had an eerie feeling, felt like it was some fugitive or someone who did not want to be found. Even moreso because there was noone around, and I don't think he saw me

I've seen the same guy probably on the same North Shore river.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »

a buddy told me he saw a tent thing in a hole in the side of a cliff, with a rope hanging down attached to a tree in mid river stuck in the canyon netting fish. kind weird, same guy maybe  :-\

also last novemer i was hiking the chealis trying to find a spot and found a rough animal trail so i followed it as it went to the river and at the end was a big log jam that had a bunch of logs takin out from inside with a sleeping bag inside and a big pile of firewood besie it and a firepit also inside was what looke like a net and a a couple axes , never saw the owner but i didnt stay around to find him.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:44:14 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:23:19 PM »

Its very common
since I started Geocaching ( getting lost with a purpose ) I have seen dozens of old and current bush dwellings, and things as weird as a trampoline for a shelter.
The Coquitlam river on the north side is really bad and my buddy just found a new one up Mcnutt yesterday featuring cammo tarps.
When I find em I like to explore and see if its occupied though I don't recommend that

DRP79

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »

I wonder what their story is? Fugitive, by choice, just homeless? Just brings the movie Deliverance to mind and creeps me out, LOL.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »

Its very common
since I started Geocaching...

I found a mattress on a mountain geocaching once.

And LOL !!!!!!

When I find em I like to explore and see if its occupied though I don't recommend that

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 09:46:34 PM »

I've seen the same guy probably on the same North Shore river.

I never said it was on the North Shore  :D  ......
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:55:50 PM by fishunter »

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 11:26:55 PM »

Enough said about that but I can confirm that I too have seen that weirdness.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:36 AM »

I never said it was on the North Shore  :D  ...but if we're talking about the same spot... did you have to trespass to get to some dodgy stairs to access this location?

water was low, I waded across, but yes, same spot

StillAqua

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »

A lot of these "hermits" have social anxiety disorder....they can't handle being around other people or interacting with them. The volunteers that do the annual "homeless count" in Vancouver are taught how to interview them gently at a distance.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 02:57:22 PM »

water was low, I waded across, but yes, same spot

You going to the SSS meeting tonight?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »

You going to the SSS meeting tonight?

Yeah, who are you?