Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Look at this roe  (Read 6188 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Look at this roe
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:19:49 AM »

No pro-cure, no photoshop

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Look at this roe
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »

i got some roe from my coho this past weekend that was even more red in color than that stuff. it was almost like someone had fed my fish double red stuff procure  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

frozensalmon

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:49:10 AM »

If that's just coming out of the belly, holy!
when my roe is out of freezer , it looks like that red and bright too
more coho, more coho... ::)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:56 AM »

The reason why plain borax has worked wonders for years....  ::)
Fish killer 101

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »

The reason why plain borax has worked wonders for years....  ::)
X2

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:25:24 AM »

Fun fact of the day. As a female coho gets riper her eggs will become increasingly red.
Actions speak louder than words.

DRP79

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:16:59 AM »

Not to hijack but I have a roe question. I bought some roe this year as I wasnt fortunate enough to harvest  some on my own. The stuff I bought was just plain boraxed and I didnt really like it. It seemed really wet and loose and was constantly having to rebait my hook every couple of casts. Later in the season, a buddy of mine had some procured roe and it was firmer, very sticky and stayed on the hook much better.  Also caught a bunch of fish with it while not one with my roe.

Could someone explain this to me? Is that how boraxed roe is or was it maybe just not done properly?

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:23:25 AM »

I suspect you were sold roe in very poor condition.The fresher the better. Fresh frozen is okay as long as you use it within a few months..When out steelheading,im always looking for  an early season hatchery doe.My family enjoys eating the fish fresh and i enjoy using the fresh boraxed steel roe as bait.IMO nothing beats fresh boraxed steelhead roe. ;D

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:02 PM »

Not to hijack but I have a roe question. I bought some roe this year as I wasnt fortunate enough to harvest  some on my own. The stuff I bought was just plain boraxed and I didnt really like it. It seemed really wet and loose and was constantly having to rebait my hook every couple of casts. Later in the season, a buddy of mine had some procured roe and it was firmer, very sticky and stayed on the hook much better.  Also caught a bunch of fish with it while not one with my roe.

Could someone explain this to me? Is that how boraxed roe is or was it maybe just not done properly?
I agree with dennis, it sounds like your roe was old and in poor condition. if you borax your own roe just sprinkle a generous layer of borax on paper towel and your butterflied skeins on top. generously sprinkle borax on the eggs and inbetween the flaps. Cover with paper towel and let it air dry over night. I shake off the borax and put it into a bag or jar with fresh borax and im good for the day. good stuff, but I do like my cured roe as well.

DRP79

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »

I had got the impression that it was fresh roe just thrown in a bag with borax. I asked for roe and was asked if i wanted boraxed and i said yes.  Do they sell it like that with the expectation that you will treat it yourself?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 02:09:24 AM »

Fun fact of the day. As a female coho gets riper her eggs will become increasingly red.

Exactly ;)
This was a broodstock fish that just wasn't ready

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 04:18:54 PM »

I had got the impression that it was fresh roe just thrown in a bag with borax. I asked for roe and was asked if i wanted boraxed and i said yes.  Do they sell it like that with the expectation that you will treat it yourself?
If you buy Boraxed Roe,your not expected to cure it yourself.

DRP79

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »

Maybe I just got a bad bag as it was from a popular tackle shop.  Next time ill be sure to ask for the procured.

bunnta

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »

borax roe from berry's or other places that basically stock berry's bait and tackle's roe is a 90% chance getting good ones. If u buy it straight from the store that is, other fishing store...well you just don't know how long its been sitting there. If u got the boraxed roe in a container, its already cured so...it should work right away after you thaw it, vice versa with the procure. I never had much success on plain boraxed roe from stores and i really think no one buys borax roe so....it could have been sitting there for a long time. I would just recommend buying fresh roe, if ur buying at  berry's. It is the same price as a procured one per lbs and just cure it yourself. Nice and fresh roe work wonders.

DRP79

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »

Thanks, that's what i will do. I did get it from there.