Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cascade River, December 1st 2011: Ma first steelhead!  (Read 2354 times)

Animal Chin

Cascade River, December 1st 2011: Ma first steelhead!
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:50:04 PM »

It's no monster... but my first steelhead! And it was even sweeter because I caught it with 15 minutes of sun left.

I wasn't planning on going to the Cascade.... super nice drive on a sunny day but I didn't realize how far it was (approx. 200 km from Vancouver). Decided to check it out after busting out at the Nooksack fishing for chum. Got there around 3:15 pm. The first spot I went to was empty. I had heard it was a gong show there, so I knew I probably wasn't in the right spot. I tried fishing anyways in a spot I "think" may hold fish.

Gave up after half hour. Nice scenery though. Decided to check hatchery, talked to a guy who pointed me in the right direction and said steelhead definitely in the river. I have half an hour of sunlight left, decide I drove all this way so I have to at least try. Ran into a guy at end of trail fishing, turns out you need waders, convinces me that now is a perfect time to fish (last light). I didn't want to crowd him. Back to car and put on waders.

Cross the stream past buddy, find a spot I think looks about right (first season, really no idea). Start floating, getting dark, figure I have 5 minutes of sun and a few casts. On second last cast.. fish on. I was so excited when I realized it was a fish, I just muscle it in... good thing it was on Bent Rod Jig/sickle hook...ascertain hatchery, bonk, bleed, line back in water to try and get another. Realized I was being ridiculous because I couldn't  see my float. And it was kinda creepy being out there by myself with the mist rolling in.

Ran into buddy in the parking lot. Tells me first light and last light is good, but get there early because it's a combat fishing in the mornings... he said there were 6 people fishing where he was during the weekend (I thought he probably would have punched me out if I started fishing beside him because area was tiny).

I used a pink Bent Rod jig with pink worm, and a small piece of cooked prawn (I think I read that somewhere...???), as shown in the picture. Short floating with a 20g DNE, 10 lb flurocarbon leader/15 main. I had Pautzke cured roe but was too lazy to use it. Big fan of Bent Rod jigs and the sickle hooks.

Any suggestions on set-up, technique etc would be welcome. Another question: Do steelhead "color" up like salmon, get past prime for eating?

Dec 2:  

My second steelhead.

Got there at 8 am, saw at least 5 guys leave with 2 fish each (limit). Got this one in the afternoon, put up a nice fight. Same pink jig and prawn. Used a yellow and orange jig with prawn and caught a super red coho, a chum, and a dolly... but no more steelhead. Pretty crowded in the morning but everyone was pretty nice.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:40:01 PM by Animal Chin »

the carp

Re: Cascade River, December 1st 2011: Ma first steelhead!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »

congrats, you worked hard for that fish, i remember way back when i had that kind of energy
carp

Pat AV

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »

Nice report, the Cascade is a fun stream, the whole area is nice actually. You can fish the main stem Skagit as well and the Sauk, both great fun for dollies and steel. Above the hatchery the Cascade is a nice quiet stream with excellent char fishing as well.

Congrats on your first two fish, very nice little "hatchery brats" also Kudos to you for taking the time to look south of the border for some good fishing, keep looking around down there you will be glad you did!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »

thats awesome man, nice work. how much are licenses down there anyways

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »

Great story - way to go man!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »

thats awesome man, nice work. how much are licenses down there anyways

Its about $90 for your annual (non resident) and $30 for a 3 day.
Not all those who wander are lost

Animal Chin

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »

Thanks. It was fun (well aside from the $113 dollar speeding ticket), the drive down once you're off I5 is very nice and peaceful. Gotta love American roads and highways,

Like Sandman said. They just raised the price of the non-resident license to $88 or 90 or something like that. I got mine for $55. No other fees though. Not sure about renewing next year, we'll see.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:03:05 PM by Animal Chin »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »

Steelhead do colour up and yes, the more colour, the less palatable the flesh.

Zackattack

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:25 PM »

Thanks. It was fun (well aside from the $113 dollar speeding ticket), the drive down once you're off I5 is very nice and peaceful. Gotta love American roads and highways,

damn u didnt tell me bout the ticket  :P good thing we didnt race our toyotas down there

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »

Great post AC.
Congrats on your first steelhead!
We always remember the first. ;D