Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nooksack River, December 3rd 2011  (Read 1856 times)

Steelie1030

Nooksack River, December 3rd 2011
« on: December 05, 2011, 11:39:50 AM »

Fished the Nooksack on Saturday the last hour of light looking for my first steel of the season..saw several swirls which really got my blood going...I did hook-up two chum and they were surprisingly feisty and in good condition.One at first glance in the fading light looked like a small steelhead but it turned out to be a small female chum with the bars barely showing on her side.. The water was a minty green with about two feet of vis...just about perfect.
I had the daughter's dog and my rod with me on Saturday morning. I thought it might be fun to take her down to the river for a nice walk. Found a great gravel bar to fish from so I got my gear ready and cast out my float etc into a real nice seam...two seconds later there was a big splash, the dog had launched herself straight into the river and swam after my float, even as I was reeling it up.
All I could do was laugh as any fish that may have been present were long gone. I just took my rod apart and continued on with our walk with a soaking wet dog. I now know she is a float chaser but what really got me was that when she looked up at me she seemed to be smiling. She's a great dog, other than chasing floats.

azafai

Re: Nooksack River, December 3rd 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »

I read somewhere that fish dislike very much the fatty-acids and odors present in the skin and fur of dogs.
dog walking and fishing does not mix. 
whenever I see a dog around while I am fishing I know that would have a negative effect now.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »

Funny story and interesting thread. That makes sense, wet dogs do stink!!!

the carp

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:12:12 PM »

don't buy the dog theory/maybe the splashing around, i have fished with goldens for years and never had a problem hooking fish, also my buddy fishes with two chocolate labs and he catches a mittful, just my observation.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »

ignore the whole scent thing as well becuase there are such tying materials that are actually from dogs !! regardless if they are wild or domestic

examples - Temple Dog, Arctic Fox just to name a couple.

Most companies now use a certain goats fur and call it Temple Dog seeing as alot of fly tyers wont use it since the videos of animal cruelty have hit the net showing the chinese skinning small dogs (shitzu's, Lhasa's and such) ALIVE !!!!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »

I hooked my first ever steelhead on the vedder with my Akita present walking around in the water. I thought she was good luck!Besides the dogs love to be out with there best friend.

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 02:07:46 PM »

Siberian Huskies are very hairy and make one of the best bait set-ups. I use it all the time instead of wool and I have an infinite supply. I always thought that the reason it is so attractive to fish is that natural oily smell it has.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »

i tie flies with my dogs fur and find they work  better then store matierals.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Steelie1030

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »

Interesting comments guys, I love it!

brysonk

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 06:22:51 AM »

hmmm "looking at cat".... ;D ;D

Eightball

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »

Indians moved in today with a seine net and cleaned out your favorite spot by the fire station on the North Fork.  >:(