Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1000's of eagles once again in the Harrison River area  (Read 1961 times)

arimaBOATER

1000's of eagles once again in the Harrison River area
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:12:01 PM »

Heard thru the grapevine there are 1000's & 1000's of eagles near the Harrison area...

Whale watching tours....Vancouver City tours...now maybe eagle watching bus tours  ;D

All ya need is a 48 passenger bus...

Seriously it is amazing these birds that flew here from so far away somehow knew there were fish here to be had.
From what I think this is right ...this is the 2 nd yr in a row that so many eagles have gathered in this area in recent history.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: 1000's of eagles once again in the Harrison River area
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:40:32 AM »

And the good news is this year they have lots to eat.  Seeing a few more every day on the C-V also.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:58:02 AM »

The eagles have been gathering here for many years. I would say that this number is going up yearly as Eagle populations from other local gathering spots such as Brackendale are forced to find new protein rich areas due to Salmon runs declining in some of their historical favorite valleys.

We are definately seeing more over wintering eagles in the farmlands of Chilliwack. Last winter my neighbor was shipping out his feeder chickens and the next day there was at least 200 Eagles eating all the dead chickens they dump in a pile beside the barns.  I was worried for my cat, small dog and our own free range layers, creepy having 200 eagles circling above the homestead.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 12:08:30 PM »

Rod, that chicken farmer probably saved the lives of a lot of eagles last year because chum runs were so poor.  I say kudos to him and all the others that helped feed these birds last winter.

wizard

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »

was at the Harrison recently and was also glad to see how many eagles were kicking around. Id estimate thousands for sure.  Also noticed all the eagles flying or sitting around with full crops...even saw an eagle hunting coots. pretty neat.