Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 20th 2011: First Steelie of the season  (Read 2515 times)

flyrod

• Old Timer

Well, I decided to head out on Tuesday morning for my first attempt at hookin up with a steelie on the Chilliwack.  I didn't get to the rive until about 9:30 am.  Went to one parking lot and met 5 fishers who had been working the runs in that area for a couple of hours but touched nothing so I went down stream to another run.  There were two steelheaders working the top end of the run so I tried the bottom end and tailout.  Nothing there after about 40 minutes of flogging it so I moved up a little more on the bottom half of the run.  Put on a Jensen egg with a small piece of wool.  The water was clear with just a tint of colour.  I assesses the area and thought to myself that if I were a steelie coming up out of the run below through the rapids and into this run I would rest in the moving water just on the inside edge of the deeper water.  So, I make a decent cast above the spot where I anticipated that a steelie could be lurking.  The float had not moved more that 3 feet when down it went and started running up stream.  I set the hook and feel the surge of the fish.  At first I thought I had a dolly on by the way it was playing me.  It slowly swam over to me and I put a little pressure on it waiting for it to make its move. 
Sure enough it makes a flying leap out of the air and races across the run, followed by four more leaps of silver into the air. This is no dolly.  Nice looking steelie.  After a number of dashes up and down the run I slowly maneover the ghost closer to me so I can take a look....Hatchery or Wild.  It is Hatchery!  Oh my goodness....I have to take this baby with respect and be careful.  My appraised guess at its weight is around 6 lbs.  The steel finally quiets down so I can gently bring it up on the beach.  Landed!!  What a pretty buck.  This is my first hatchery steelie in two years.  I have caught 22 Wild in a row.  Off I go to Fred's to weight the buck.  The boys there start mocking me as I bring the catch in for weighing:  "Wow, there must be a lot of steelhead in the river for Rod to catch one.  Hey, where did you buy that little baby?" Not a lot of respect!!!  6.7 lbs and I am on the board.  This was my best Christmas present to date.  Maybe this is the beginning of a change in the luck of the draw with a more balanced catch ratio of H to W this year.  I do enjoy a bbq'd or smoked steel.
Now I am ready for Monday's Boxing Day Derby.  Merry Christmas to all.

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, December 20th 2011: First Steelie of the season
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »

Size doesn't matter, Rod.  Nice going, too bad it was not on the flyrod.
Not all those who wander are lost

loveforstellies

• Thump! huh? Fish on!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Pay no attention to their mocking. You are a fisherman and the fact that you scored your first hatchery steely of the season makes you an example of great times at the river. Indeed a great Christmas present. Enjoy it and keep your lines tight.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:52:15 PM by loveforstellies »
jza

loveforstellies

• Thump! huh? Fish on!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:51:44 PM »

I need to get out to the flow and begin my steelhead season. I really would like to connect with someone and become fishing buddies. Any takers?

J. ;)
jza

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:30:45 AM »

I need to get out to the flow and begin my steelhead season. I really would like to connect with someone and become fishing buddies. Any takers?

J. ;)

where do you live man? I live on the north shore and am always looking for someone to split gas with

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:48:43 AM »

Seems like it's shaping up to be another banner year.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 08:12:36 AM »

Nice!  I agree - size doesn't matter.  It's a steelie.  Congrats on your first hatch in a couple of years.  Although I don't have much of a preference between wild vs. hatchery, 22 wild in a row is quite a few!  Enjoy that early X-mas present...   :)

Chromie

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »

I dont believe anything with out a picture lol  ;D saying that show us the chrome

iCemAn

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 05:04:10 PM »

Lets put that little guy in a large teaser and hit the salt for some Springs ;)

Congrats on the hatch old man!
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »

Gotta love the early season Chrome.
Nice fish and note to newbies,this is not a 10 lber.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

Beautiful fish! great read Rod. have a great Christmas, may the new year be filled with bigger fish.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

johnny

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 08:45:44 PM »

Way to go Rod! We will have to Get out there together this Season.. Merry Christmas!
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...