Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing with other anglers  (Read 21952 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: fishing with other anglers
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 01:13:53 PM »

chances are if someone is fence posting, they won't mind you going below them. just make sure you give them a good distance of drift by watching how far their float goes....and if you're going above them don't be a dick and allow your float to reach the distance where they're standing.

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Etiquette Story
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 03:13:59 PM »

I think we all started fishing without "thinking" about others when we started.

No, many of us were taught by our fathers who were sportsmen and sweated etiquette.  We were raised to think about others and to treat others as you would have them treat you.  It is unfortunate that not everyone is raised in that way, but it is important to be patient with them until they do learn.  It is also important to understand how the other guy fishes, as this may not be the same way as you.  A guy fishing spoons is not going to fish at the same pace as a guy fishing roe, and neither will fish the same pace as a guy swinging flies.  You cannot expect everyone to fish the run as fast (or slow) as you, nor should you assume a guy is "fence posting" because he fishes slower than you.  If you absolutely have to fish the same run, take the time to watch the other guy(s) to see how they are fishing and make your decision based on your own fishing style.
Not all those who wander are lost

Nucks

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »

Well said Sandman  ;D

DRP79

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 03:52:45 PM »

This is all good stuff for me. I am new to it and didn't get that benefit of fishing with dad at a young age. I want to do things right and I have learned a lot in the past few months but still have much to learn.

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Etiquette Story
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 04:25:33 PM »

No, many of us were taught by our fathers who were sportsmen and sweated etiquette.  We were raised to think about others and to treat others as you would have them treat you.  It is unfortunate that not everyone is raised in that way, but it is important to be patient with them until they do learn.  It is also important to understand how the other guy fishes, as this may not be the same way as you.  A guy fishing spoons is not going to fish at the same pace as a guy fishing roe, and neither will fish the same pace as a guy swinging flies.  You cannot expect everyone to fish the run as fast (or slow) as you, nor should you assume a guy is "fence posting" because he fishes slower than you.  If you absolutely have to fish the same run, take the time to watch the other guy(s) to see how they are fishing and make your decision based on your own fishing style.

Very well written, Sandman. This is etiquette 101.
I highlighted the main ideas for those with a short attention span or ADD. ;)
New anglers should write the above down on a piece of paper and carry it with them to the flow.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »

chances are if someone is fence posting, they won't mind you going below them. just make sure you give them a good distance of drift by watching how far their float goes....and if you're going above them don't be a dick and allow your float to reach the distance where they're standing.
Why should fence posters be given special treatment? Often they are parked at prime holding water and as far as I'm concerned they are showing poor etiquette and should not expect people to not allow their float to reach the poster.

floatfisher

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »

How long do you have to fish a spot to be a fence poster? If I got a bump, have a hunch, or know there's a fish in a specific spot in a piece of water I'll pound that spot for a fair bit of time until I'm satisfied it's not going to bite or there is no fish there. It could be a 5 minute span or it could be 20 minutes. Anglers should ALWAYS ask to fish below an angler who's already fishing a piece of water as then you'll truly know what there doing. Also don't get in a huff if the guy says no you can wait to fish below them.

GreyFoot

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »

After I finish flying through a ton of water I fence post in prime spots I know have fish and enjoy cleaning out the pool. Anyone is more than welcome to fish 15 feet from me and drift their presentation exactly where my gear travels if they like. I mean they can target the exact same holding spot I'm targeting if they want. If I'm fly fishing you might want to give me a bit more room just for safety. If I'm flying through water you can fish above me or below me or we can hold hands going downstream or upstream I don't care. You are NOT going to decrease my chance of success in any case. If you hook a fish right where I'm fishing the other fish moved one spot up or down from your hooked fish spot. I'll catch the next two after you in those spots. Thanks for spooking them away from that stump brother... you tha bomb.

After saying this though if I'm on a remote river I probably won't even cast anywhere near your pool and you won't see me because there is so much water to cover all over the place.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »

For fence poster I will let my float go down to them on every drift as I work the water close to them. I will then ask if I can fish below them, if they say no well too bad I will fish below them anyways. I mean you can not expect to sit at a spot for the entire time while I was working down towards them and have me just stop and not fish the rest of the run.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »

There's no need to spend more than 10-15 minutes in one spot if you are not catching fish after a few casts and a couple of presentation switches.
You are either:

a) Not getting your presentation down to the fish, so your effort is futile.

or

b) There's no fish there.

A Vedder old-timer averaging 50-60 fish per season told me this a couple of years ago, and I have finally started to listen.  ;D

Of course, I will now hear from the guy who said they got a steelhead after having fished the same spot for two hours without success. 

Or maybe not, no one will admit they are fence posters publicly, will they?  ;)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 08:27:12 PM »

Btw I do ask if I can fish below a fence poster and I've never had one say no. I imagine I would also ignore them and move below.
You are perfectly within your right to pound a run for 15 minutes but you're high if you think anyone is going to wait for you.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »

Why should fence posters be given special treatment? Often they are parked at prime holding water and as far as I'm concerned they are showing poor etiquette and should not expect people to not allow their float to reach the poster.

i don't think of it as special treatment...i think of it as circumstances and an opportunity to work around the person fence posting.

with so many kms of river and knowing the tendencies of these fish, why should i let one spot stop me from doing what most steelheaders do?  "move on".... it almost sounds like you've got a bad case of entitlement.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 11:55:09 PM »

After I finish flying through a ton of water I fence post in prime spots I know have fish and enjoy cleaning out the pool. Anyone is more than welcome to fish 15 feet from me and drift their presentation exactly where my gear travels if they like. I mean they can target the exact same holding spot I'm targeting if they want. If I'm fly fishing you might want to give me a bit more room just for safety. If I'm flying through water you can fish above me or below me or we can hold hands going downstream or upstream I don't care. You are NOT going to decrease my chance of success in any case. If you hook a fish right where I'm fishing the other fish moved one spot up or down from your hooked fish spot. I'll catch the next two after you in those spots. Thanks for spooking them away from that stump brother... you tha bomb.

After saying this though if I'm on a remote river I probably won't even cast anywhere near your pool and you won't see me because there is so much water to cover all over the place.

Not everybody likes fishing 15 feet from you.  Rotational angling works well, its widely accepted by anyone who has any experience fishing rivers (because it works and lends itself well to covering water which in turn results in fish) and it saves frustration for everyone.  You wouldn't drive to the river on the left side of the road because it suited you that day, why buck a practical convention?  Furthermore, fenceposting will seldom get you fish, covering water will.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:02:29 AM by Matt »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 11:57:51 PM »

There's no need to spend more than 10-15 minutes in one spot if you are not catching fish after a few casts and a couple of presentation switches.
You are either:

a) Not getting your presentation down to the fish, so your effort is futile.

or

b) There's no fish there.

A Vedder old-timer averaging 50-60 fish per season told me this a couple of years ago, and I have finally started to listen.  ;D

Of course, I will now hear from the guy who said they got a steelhead after having fished the same spot for two hours without success. 

Or maybe not, no one will admit they are fence posters publicly, will they?  ;)

i totally agree with you.

funny thing is i'm familiar with a lot of guys on this forum and other sites...i have yet to see a seasoned veteran walk away from a hole where they're getting multiple hits....usually they'll stick around until they're convinced the fish are no longer biting...i'm not talking about 15-30 minutes... more like an hour if not more.

i think some people miscalculate the actual time they spend at a spot, especially when the bite is on....not to say that everyone does it...i remember years back i had someone pass me and end up a few kilometer below before i even finished working the run i was at, but in my eyes, he didn't work the water hard enough.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 07:30:19 AM »

i don't think of it as special treatment...i think of it as circumstances and an opportunity to work around the person fence posting.

with so many kms of river and knowing the tendencies of these fish, why should i let one spot stop me from doing what most steelheaders do?  "move on".... it almost sounds like you've got a bad case of entitlement.
You think I have a case of entitlement? How cute.
I am entitled to fish the river and you are not entitled to stop me. 
Between Peach and the train bridge you will find fenceposters every couple hundred meters.  You can choose to not fish those areas or you can fish right through them. No one should be giving give them space.