Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: $400 dollar fishing jacket  (Read 14541 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: $400 dollar fishing jacket
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 08:20:06 AM »

I have been wearing an Arcteryx Stingray jacket for more than three years and it is still good as new.
My wife has been using hers for 4 years with no failure what so ever.
I would not hesitate to say that it probably is one of the best made Goretex jackets in the world.
As I always wear a fishing vest, pockets and stuff like that is not important for me.
If someone is looking for a very well made out doors jacket which will last for a very long time without malfuncton, this is it.
Stingray is also made here in BC by a local company.
Only drawback is that the price is higher than $400.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »

Ive had a few cheaper brand coats and hated them all, got my G4 and love everything about it.

Matt - I always wear my cuffs tight on it and dunk my hands in the water without getting wet behind the cuff so perhaps they are a bit better than the G3 cuffs 

one thing i could never be without now since getting this jacket is the hand warmer pockets which are fleece lined. I would never buy a jacket without these and i think some high end coats dont have them or they are in weird spots (Sage jacket comes to mind)

check out this website - http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com/ they put stuff on sale and clearance alot, think they are blowing out LOOP stuff right now
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Pat AV

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »

Don't buy any wading jacket. Go to MEC and get one of their higher end Gore-Tex jackets and never worry about getting screwed around on a warranty, having to pay shipping costs or warranty fees (or not get warranty). You can wear it from the day you buy it until the day you die and if it ever so much as has a loose thread return it for a brand new one. Save some cash while you're at it and as another bonus throw it in the wash and take it skiing hiking or out on the town. Ciao

Good advice, MEC sells very nice gore jackets for good prices, and they function very well as wading jackets. I wore one for many years before going with a Simms classic guide wich is also a very good tried and true design.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

opwins

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »

I have been wearing an Arcteryx Stingray jacket for more than three years and it is still good as new.
My wife has been using hers for 4 years with no failure what so ever.
I would not hesitate to say that it probably is one of the best made Goretex jackets in the world.
As I always wear a fishing vest, pockets and stuff like that is not important for me.
If someone is looking for a very well made out doors jacket which will last for a very long time without malfuncton, this is it.
Stingray is also made here in BC by a local company.
Only drawback is that the price is higher than $400.

Those are nice Jackets I just checked out there website, how do you find it for length?  Problem with the simms jackets are that they are short obviously designed to be worn with waders, there new Pro-Dry addresses this issue.  I personally prefer a longer jacket, because I dont always wear my waders if just stopping to fish a few cetain runs.  Anyone try the new simms pro-dry?

longcaster

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »

I would look into getting an Arcteryx jacket they run at 500-600 but if u head to the outlet store u can get one with a fleece for about 400 -450 . the fleeces cost about 199 In store.
best combo I ever bought and its great for Vancouver weather. :)

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »

Those are nice Jackets I just checked out there website, how do you find it for length? 

Length has never been an issue for me as I rarely wade deeper than crotch level when fishing.
If someone does quite a bit of waist level wading, than a shorter jacket would be desirable.

thunder_struckt

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 06:16:38 PM »

I would look into getting an Arcteryx jacket they run at 500-600 but if u head to the outlet store u can get one with a fleece for about 400 -450 . the fleeces cost about 199 In store.
best combo I ever bought and its great for Vancouver weather. :)

Arc'teryx makes excellent jackets and I own two, but they are not great fishing jackets. They lack pockets large enough for items normally carried while fishing but most importantly with Arcteryx you're stuck with your average ski-jacket-type cuffs. They are not water-tight and will great for creating nice little pools of water at your elbows.

However, if you only had to own one jacket Arcteryx it is. I'd rather be fishing in an arcteryx jacket then skiing in a Simms one. They are hands down the best manufacturer of gore-tex jackets.

For the OP's $400 budget you should be looking no further than Simms Guide jacket or the G3 jacket ... forget all that Bare, Loop and redington crap if you have $400 to spend.

Nuggy

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »

Don't buy any wading jacket. Go to MEC and get one of their higher end Gore-Tex jackets and never worry about getting screwed around on a warranty, having to pay shipping costs or warranty fees (or not get warranty). You can wear it from the day you buy it until the day you die and if it ever so much as has a loose thread return it for a brand new one. Save some cash while you're at it and as another bonus throw it in the wash and take it skiing hiking or out on the town. Ciao

MEC, Taiga, Northface, Army & Navy, whatever. None of them make a jacket that is specialized like my Patagonia SST or various different models of Simms, Cloudveil tailored to the needs of fisherman.

I was able to pick up my original SST on closeout for about $175.00 and I`m still working on the second that was replaced under warranty. I don`t know how long I`ve had it but it goes back to when I sold Matt my Bare Kodiak which he wore for a long time and that coat was originally FisherForever`s coat for a while when I bought it.

When buying rain coats for fishing it pays in spades to buy quality as a good coat made for fishing keeps you warm, dry and comfortable in the right palces for years if you keep up on the maintenance. Simms and Patagonia are recognized as having two of the best warranties in the business as well.

Animal Chin

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »

If you come across a Westcomb Spectre jacket for around $150, they're great jackets too. The factory/company is just off Clark in East Van.

Though it's an ultralight shell at 8 oz (size medium) and has virtually no pockets. It's made of eVent fabric, which is more breathable and waterproof than Goretex (current gold standard in WPB). It's great for backpacking and snowboarding.

If looks aren't an issue and you don't care about pockets, and just want a shell that is completely waterproof and highly breathable, for $15 you can get a pant (though they're not great) and jacket set of "Driducks Ultralite 2". Very light at 10 oz for set. Very waterproof and comfortable to wear under exertion.  Buy one size smaller if you're average sized.

Just get a heavy weight fleece at MEC for insulation.

If you do have a goretex or any WPB jacket and water doesn't wick off anymore, go to the walmart hunting section and get a bottle of ATSKO re-proofer. About $5. Works great. Though, don't ever wash your hi-tech WPB jackets with regular soap. Get the ATSKO sportwash. It leaves no scent or residue to clog up pores in WPB fabric or scent to attract/detract wildlife (ie. camping in grizzly country). Works for down too.

The Simms jackets do look pretty spiffy though, if you got the cash I'd say do it .. never hurts to look good and nothing like sport specific gear.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »

MEC, Taiga, Northface, Army & Navy, whatever. None of them make a jacket that is specialized like my Patagonia SST or various different models of Simms, Cloudveil tailored to the needs of fisherman.

I was able to pick up my original SST on closeout for about $175.00 and I`m still working on the second that was replaced under warranty. I don`t know how long I`ve had it but it goes back to when I sold Matt my Bare Kodiak which he wore for a long time and that coat was originally FisherForever`s coat for a while when I bought it.

When buying rain coats for fishing it pays in spades to buy quality as a good coat made for fishing keeps you warm, dry and comfortable in the right palces for years if you keep up on the maintenance. Simms and Patagonia are recognized as having two of the best warranties in the business as well.

The Kodiak is still going strong and is my backup.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »

So do you guys wear the jacket over your vest ?

Animal Chin

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »

So do you guys wear the jacket over your vest ?

I just ordered a vest/PFD, so I'm wearing it over my jacket. I already have my WPB shell, so I'm going in this direction. hence no consideration for pockets and my concern for breathability. My hope is to dispense with needing a bag of any sort.

However, I'm a totally new to this and haven't tried out the system yet. I figure it should work though. I like the fact it's multi-use and a layering system... though like I said, untried.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 01:04:15 AM »

I always wear my vest over my jackets because i want pocket access. I just always made sure to hang my vest up where it could dry from all sides
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/