Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 7th 2012  (Read 1669 times)

James

Chilliwack River, January 7th 2012
« on: January 07, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »

i was out there today , from 6am until 1:30pm ... water was nice color , and good visibility ( I thought so anyway .. )

Were not that many people out there , I would have thought there would be way way more , but I fished a great run for all but 1 hr by my self . saw 6 other anglers come by on opposite side of river , but that's it .

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 7th 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »

i was out there today , from 6am until 1:30pm ... water was nice color , and good visibility ( I thought so anyway .. )

Were not that many people out there , I would have thought there would be way way more , but I fished a great run for all but 1 hr by my self . saw 6 other anglers come by on opposite side of river , but that's it .
I think it was a bit slow out there today compared to yesterday as people I talked to did not have favorable reports.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:05:45 PM »

I think it was a bit slow out there today compared to yesterday as people I talked to did not have favorable reports.

Slow indeed.
I hooked up with DRP79 and rhyno and together we covered quite a bit of the mid river. No joy for us except a very brief hookup for me on a far cast. Unfortunately, my hook set was pathetic due to excess slack on my line.  :(

On the bright side, rhyno (Ali) and DRP79 (Don) are a pair of very nice fellas who are welcome to fish with me ANYTIME - ANYWHERE! :)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »

Milo I saw your far cast today mid river, and I dont know how anyone can control a drift at that distance in that kind of water. How would you even set a hook?
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27:56 PM »

Slow indeed.
I hooked up with DRP79 and rhyno and together we covered quite a bit of the mid river. No joy for us except a very brief hookup for me on a far cast. Unfortunately, my hook set was pathetic due to excess slack on my line.  :(

On the bright side, rhyno (Ali) and DRP79 (Don) are a pair of very nice fellas who are welcome to fish with me ANYTIME - ANYWHERE! :)
Glad you had good compamy on your trip today.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »

Milo I saw your far cast today mid river, and I dont know how anyone can control a drift at that distance in that kind of water. How would you even set a hook?

I am 6'4", and I fish an 11.5' rod. Add another couple of feet by means of my arm raised high up above my shoulder and that allows me to have all the line above the water and keep the tension even when casting very far.
With steelhead, you hardly have to set the hook much, they hook themselves up without our help. The flex of the rod tip being that high up sets the hook more than enough.
Unfortunately, I was already quite tired today when we were fishing that spot, and I had lowered my arm, allowing for some slack to form across the current.
You can't cast and drift fish continuously that way; it's very hard on your arm. A couple of casts at a time, that's about it.

DRP79

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »

Slow indeed.

Thanks for the kind words milo, it was great to get out with you guys.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »

I was out there this morning trying at the canal. The water was a tad high but totally fishable. Nothing for me so I drove to the bird sanctuary run. Fished for 2 hours amongst about 10 people and nothing for anyone.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 12:54:14 AM »

River is a bit high today. Water clarity is about 3ft where I fished in mid river. Seems like the flow is high enough for fish to travel fast through the system. I hit a 15 lb wild fish. Seen another one too. Have heard lower river doing well too. If it does not rain tonight, river should be great condition with fish coming in during the high water. Good luck.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »

Searun and I where out on the river and found conditions to be a tad high but clarity to be perfect. The area we where in had 9 fish landed and the run that we fished had 2 landed and 1 lost. None of the fish that where hooked where by me but that was just fine as I was just glad to be able to get out and do a little bit of fishing especially after being in the hospital for 8 days last month.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »

Searun and I where out on the river and found conditions to be a tad high but clarity to be perfect. The area we where in had 9 fish landed and the run that we fished had 2 landed and 1 lost. None of the fish that where hooked where by me but that was just fine as I was just glad to be able to get out and do a little bit of fishing especially after being in the hospital for 8 days last month.

You were probably in that area my friend told me about. He saw 4 fish landed in the afternoon, all hatch, two pushing 16lb. Looks like the fish were not as spread out as I thought they would at high water. Hot in some places but cold in others. That is fishing. Just have to be at the right place and at the right time.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:14:33 PM by liketofish »