Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 9th 2012  (Read 3039 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Chilliwack River, January 9th 2012
« on: January 09, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »

Don't have a whole lot to say cause I wasn't out that long...River is in real nice shape, good flow everywhere... couple feet of vis as it rained a bit last night.  I know this cause I couldn't sleep...lol  Was amped about getting out there to hit up the spot where I beaked the landing of one last tues.  Walked out to my spot just before 8am, no one there yet.  Nice.  So I tied on and nice fancy spinner, (thanks GeffT) and worked a lower section that looked good for about 10 mins but nothing.  So I walk up to the next spot and about 2 casts in float down, and the fight was on.  After a nice battle down river past a clump of bushes and a tree in which I had to jump off the bank and go around it in the river, then get crawled back up the bank and we battled further down river past the heavy water and a couple mins later this doe came to hand.  Nice battle that really pounded the heart rate for a couple mins..lol , and after losing one at my feet last tuesday I was extra careful... but she was nice and slid right to me.

12.56 lbs on Fred's scale.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:50:44 AM by DMW »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 9th 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »

That is a beaut. Love the tail shot.
Interesting technique. Do you fish the spinner drag free, or hold back while drifting?

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »

That's the way to do it, back home in time for lunch and you have the rest of the day to relax and reflect on the mornings adventure.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:44:28 AM »

That is a beaut. Love the tail shot.
Interesting technique. Do you fish the spinner drag free, or hold back while drifting?
Depends on what water I'm fishing.  Slow water I try to dead drift.  Faster/rolling water I hold back just a bit to get the blade going a bit faster and to make sure it stays off the bottom when it swings a bit closer to shore.  Today was the slight hold back as it was some heavier water. ;)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »

That's the way to do it, back home in time for lunch and you have the rest of the day to relax and reflect on the mornings adventure.
Lol... my coffee was still nice and warm when I walked in after cleaning the fish... so I had a second cup and added some joy to it!!  haha ;D

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »

nice job with the steel on the spinner  ;)

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »

nice fish dave,judging by those pictures i say you were fishing in my secret spot,lol.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »

.... almost.. this one is my secret spot that doesn't look like anything special.  Seen so many people walk right past it the last couple weeks...haha

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »

i know that piece of water and yes it is deceptive,i allways run through it but i have never hit anything in it yet.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »

Great job Dave, really glad the spinners worked out for you. Now you have some nice roe for the rest of the season to add to the arsenal. I hope to be able to get out on the river soon but judgeing by the way I feel today it just may be awhile before I get back out there  :(

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:39:39 PM »

Thanks Geff. The roe might not be ready in the morning, but I will be. lol  I'll put it in some borax just before I go to bed and take my sac tying stuff to the river with me in case other things don't work right off the bat again like they did the last couple times...lol :D

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:58:16 PM »

whats the deal with tail pics? I have seen quite a few before and do not understand why people bother with them. Why is it only steelhead and not any other species tails?  Theres only one type of tail I wanna see, and it definitely aint a steelheads

haha  :D
A swung fly is the best fly.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 10:30:15 PM »

whats the deal with tail pics? I have seen quite a few before and do not understand why people bother with them. Why is it only steelhead and not any other species tails?  Theres only one type of tail I wanna see, and it definitely aint a steelheads

picture of the tail and caudal gives the viewer an extended idea of the size of the fish.

based on that i would guess this fish to be around the 6-7lb range.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:43:06 PM by blaydRnr »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »

Lol... Weighed in at Fred's at 12.56 lbs.   :D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:44:31 PM »

Lol... Weighed in at Fred's at 12.56 lbs.   :D

as i said, my guess based on the photo.  :D (i saw what it actually weighed in at)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:49:41 PM by blaydRnr »