Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: longest streak  (Read 6919 times)

Chromie

longest streak
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »

I want to know your longest streak with losing steelhead so far this year I'm on a roll losing 4 in a row so far and counting.... 3 of them the hook popped off and one broke my leader.

so whats your longest streak for losing fish.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: longest streak
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:40:58 AM »

Does Coho count?  lol :D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Chromie

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »

no or we would be counting forever lol  ;D those pasty fish don't like my hook

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »

I have never had a problem landing fish, never lost more that 2 before landing the 3rd.  Two years ago I went 9 trips without landing a steelhead, it was terrible.  The next fish cost me around 400$ to land, if you consider all the different costs that go into fishing. 

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »

Not losing but getting skunked, I've got a buddy thats longest streak was 3 seasons and 5 days, got his first 14+lbs wild buck not too long ago  :D
Had to point him to the holding water where there was 2 steelies and a bull trout.
As for me longest streak of snap off was 4 in 2009, First and second rolled off was a nice doe, third and fourth was under kwb snapping mainline and leader, then on that same day ended up getting 1 beauty 10lb doe  :D There was a god up there
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »

I went 0 - 13 (in a 3hr period) on steelhead years ago in the canal due to the snags along the bank edges. Thank god the water was clear enough that i at least got to see each fish swim away and not stayed snagged up, had one get stuck so i had to get a large stick to reach out and pop the fish free. Guy fishing next to me also went 0 - 5  :o

other than that my worst streak would be on the spey rod because i lost all my fish until i finally landed one last April  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »

I want to know your longest streak with losing steelhead so far this year I'm on a roll losing 4 in a row so far and counting.... 3 of them the hook popped off and one broke my leader.

so whats your longest streak for losing fish.

We really must be hurting for discussion topics!
are you talking Veddar? or does any flow count?
So, to answer your question if talking about the VeddarZero (0) this year though I did get into some trout and played with a a bull.
I haven't hooked into a steelhead in 2012 so I haven't lost one yet.
Time off coming up so I'll try to minimize the losses then.

A note to those who try to gauge via the internet:
There are fish there but it is not HOT.
3 pictures and a report or two and every new steelheader figures there's a conspiracy against them.
Well, actually,... there is a conspiracy against you..

Timing is one of the things and Mother Nature booked her holidays differently than last year.

Good luck all! but don't be fretting just yet, though we all get excited for the early ones;
 but we all don't live close enough to the river to get a few casts in on a milk run  ;D

1son

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »

0 for 3 this season outta 5 trips not too worried still have time 8)

thunder_struckt

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 06:31:49 PM »

one. If you're losing 3 in a row, you're doing something wrong. Either your hook is dull or your hook-sets are crap. Can happen if you have too much loop in your line to your float or if you're using mono and let your drift go very long.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »

one. If you're losing 3 in a row, you're doing something wrong. Either your hook is dull or your hook-sets are crap. Can happen if you have too much loop in your line to your float or if you're using mono and let your drift go very long.

I beg to differ...
I have lost my last 3 fish and have gone 4 for 5 in the last 2 trips... I change my hook after every fish/snag and check it regularly.
3 of those lost fish were on spoons using sickle hooks that were very sharp, and the hooksets were good. It's just luck of the draw sometimes.
One day I'll go 10 for 10 on coho and the next day 1 for 11 doing the exact same thing.

But back to the question... I think this is the most fish I have lost in a row... I've had some bad days lately though going 1/4 a few times already this year  :-\
Actually my longest streaks have been 3 in a row lost... but I've done that 3 times already this year, then normally land 2 or 3 in a row and so on...

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »

you have no clue what you are talking about! like ED said "luck of the draw".....3 in a row for me

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 08:11:27 PM »

Lost 4 in a row,then landed the next 4,fishing Swansons on the Stamp ,one memorable early spring day back in 94.Not a single person around,the birds were chirping,the weather was nice and the 4 steelhead i landed were chrome bullits with a beautiful ever so slight crimson hue on thier sides.About as close to a perfect day steelheading as it gets.First and only time ive ever had a steelhead charge me and ram my leg after getting hooked.I was playing it around my legs after it bounced off me in waist deep water.Never forget it.Freakin awesome. ;D

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »

Not true.  3 in a row happens.  Take 3 fresh fish that just came in on the tide and, 0/3 would be nothing out of the ordinary.

1son

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »

Thanks for your 2 cents mr.bigshot but I have been fishing for years I know what I'm doing it happens man can't get em all next time keep your insults and thoughts to yourself would be much appreciated

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »

I had a stretch on the Kitimat a few years ago that I landed 6 in a row and then lost the next 6. 

Last year, over a two day stretch, I went 16 out of 17 and it was the 17th that came off at the beach. 

I have found that since switching to Owner Cutting Point hooks, my landing ratio is close to 90%

Sometimes you get the bounces, sometimes you don't.