Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: longest streak  (Read 6920 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: longest streak
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:47 PM »

one. If you're losing 3 in a row, you're doing something wrong. Either your hook is dull or your hook-sets are crap. Can happen if you have too much loop in your line to your float or if you're using mono and let your drift go very long.

I agree that the hook sets are undoubtedly crap (or else you would not lose the fish), but I disagree that you must be doing something wrong.  The hook set (where in the mouth you hook the fish and how well you do so) is a combination of the timing of the set, the position of the fish in relation to you, the direction it moves after taking the hook, how quickly it tries to spit it out, etc.  With so many variables affecting the quality of the set (including, yes, the sharpness of your hook), not to mention all of the possible scenarios that could cause a well set hook to come loose (ie: snags), the possibility of going 0-3 is entirely possible even if you are doing everything right.  If you have never lost 3 fish in a row before landing one then you are a great and lucky fisherman indeed (or you are using barbed hooks).

I personally had a rough stretch last season where I had a few in a row come loose after a brief head shake or longer (I was not counting but it had to be 4 or 5).  I have not had the chance to even loose one so far as I have not even had a sniff so far in a half dozen trips on the fly.
Not all those who wander are lost

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:04 PM »

Went 2 fer 9 in one day, still a great day, most were lost right at the beach, next trip to that river went 7 for 7, same gear exactly, thats fishing.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

fisher man

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »

oh, how about one stealhead in 10 yrs on the vedder. I'm now 0 for 4 this year and still counting. I usually go 10+ times a year.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 08:36:38 PM »

oh, how about one stealhead in 10 yrs on the vedder. I'm now 0 for 4 this year and still counting. I usually go 10+ times a year.

Let's not confuse hook up rates and losses.  You can go many trips with no hook ups (a fish of a thousand casts...a hundred thousand casts if you fly fish), but we are talking about the rate of lost fish (ones you have hook initially, but you lose them shortly after hooking them).
Not all those who wander are lost

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »

sadly i probs have the worst i went 10 lost to 1 landed but it improved from their have gotten three out of 16 hooked. steel love my secret weapon  ;D
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »

is your secret weapon the barb ? ;D ha ha ha ha ha
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 06:30:40 PM »

Have had streaks that went both ways.
Starts to make you think after losing about the 5th one though. :D

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »

is your secret weapon the barb ? ;D ha ha ha ha ha
no never fish a barb its something that is in my vest for two weeks on end before it catches fish lol
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot