Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 1st 2012  (Read 2235 times)

fishbuster

Chilliwack River, February 1st 2012
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »

I rarely post reports because typing really isn't my thing, so two reports in three days is pretty uncommon but this one deserves another report..  So I awoke early to get to the river so I could get first crack at my run of choice to find the river in not the best shape.  With the rain from last night it coloured up the river a bit to much for my liking.  I thought I was there now, I might as well give it my best effort, also knowing that the rain was to end and the sun was to shine I had some hope that the river would start to clear as the day went on.

So I put my roe bag on and started my day of casting.  Working each run that I walked into with precision I came up empty handed, over and over again.  But this is why we do what we do, keep trying and trying until that one take happens.  As the day went on the water started to improve, so did my hopes of another battle.  By 12:00 the water was starting to look good.

After fishing roe bags all day I thought I would switch to a prawn.  It was now 12:30.  I worked the run and then floated one real close to shore, maybe in 2 feet of water.  My float dipped and as it dipped I lifted on the rod thinking I was catching bottom.  The next thing, was a massive headshake which was followed with a hook set.  The battle was on.  At first the fish stayed down and ran out into the current.  Feeling the weight I new i had a big fish.  The fish then made it's way up the river past me and held.  Waiting for it's next move it turned and peeled down river.  Holding ground and letting the fish go, it turned again and faced up river.  I put a little side pressure trying to turn it towards me, it slowly wondered over to finally show itself.  Wow I thought, it looked like a twin of the other.   Seeing that it was a hatchery my heart began to race a little more.  I carefully played the fish till it had no more to give and glided it in.  As I slid it up, my leader broke.  What a beauty.  I estimated it at around 15 but to hear 16.52 made me realized how lucky I really was to hook such a nice fish.  2 big fish in three days, what a week.  Sorry again about the picture, but it is on Freds website.  Good luck to those who venture out.

Tightlines         

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, February 1st 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »

Here it is from Fred's facebook.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »

Great job again Fishbuster.   ;D  Awesome.   
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »

Amazing fish Fishbuster, you are on a great roll. WoW !!! I've got to get out for my first steely trip, chomping at the bit now.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »

Here it is from Fred's facebook.

Is that a fisheye lens feature they are using there?  It sure makes the fish appear larger than they really are.  It certainly is a beauty though.
Not all those who wander are lost

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:54:51 PM »

You should post more often. Good read

lapa

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »

Amazing fish Fishbuster. Keep posting.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »

2 pigs within 2 days  :o and the same smile in both pics.
i gotta get out this weekend
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

floatfisher

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:03:52 AM »

Is that a fisheye lens feature they are using there?  It sure makes the fish appear larger than they really are.  It certainly is a beauty though.

It seems that way because the angler is short (judging by the wall) and that his arms are straight out holding the fish towards the camera so the fish is closer to the camera man.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:15:11 AM »

It is indeed a camera trick that makes the fish look bigger but nonetheless an amzing fish.

brownmancheng

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »

The old straight arm optical illusion!! Whatever it is it worked that thing looks massive!!

kid fisherman

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:59:27 PM »

Well done, congrats man!