Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 11th 2012  (Read 2982 times)

DRP79

Chilliwack River, February 11th 2012
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:55:11 AM »

I took the week off work in hopes of catching my first steelhead. This is my first season fishing and I havent had a lot of luck with anything this year but knew I just had to keep learning as much as I can and being persistent. I had gone out Tues, Weds, Fri and again on Saturday. No luck at all on the first 2 days and then on Friday after being skunked for about 12-15 trips since salmon season, I caught a little mountain white fish. Id like to say the fight was on but the little fella wasnt exactly putting my gear through a workout, lol. Nonetheless, I was just happy I wasnt heading home skunked again even though my 7th trip for steelhead didnt even yield me a bite.

I headed out on Saturday morning for one last attempt before I go back to work on Monday. I picked up Milo and after a stop over to meet up with my brother, we got to the river a little late. It was busy but not as bad as I expected, a nice surprise. We got down to our starting point and Milo told me, today is the day. I had been telling myself this every trip out this week but I had to admit, I did feel it too. After casting in spot for about 15 mins waiting for everyone to get their gear ready(nice Mcguyver job on the rod Milo), we started marching down stream.

I was taking a few casts to cover water then move down and wash rinse repeat. I got about 50 or so yards down from where we started and saw a fishy looking spot behind a rock and let me gear drift around it. Soon as my float went around the rock, it disappeared. I was excited but cautious in that split second because I have snagged a couple times in the same scenario but set the hook and HOLY cupcakes, its a fish.

It gave me a good turn and I saw the chrome flash of its belly and boy my heart was racing at this point. It jumped and darted this way and that and I was doing my best to let my rod do the work and not winch it in with my real(thanks again Milo), I did not want to lose this fish. I played it for a bit and after about 5 minutes or so, it was ready to come in and it was a hatch too, about 8-9 lbs I guess. I decided not to keep it as we had only been fishing for about 30 mins and had the whole day in front of us and things were looking good.

I gently released it and had to sit back for about 10 mins and just soak it all in before I started fishing again. It was pure elation and I feel it will do no good for my fishing addiction, lol. I had a smile so big it felt like my mouth was trying to eat my face and I could do nothing about it.

We fished for the rest of the day, till it started to get dark. I had another hook up later in the day but lost the fish after about 15 seconds. It was a hell of a day after 7 outings without a bite, minus the mountain while fish and then I get 2 on in one day and landed the first, great 8th trip, lol.

Thanks again to Milo for a great day on the river and being a more than willing camera man to capture the moment for me.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, February 11th 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:01:42 AM »

Congrats on your first steelhead.

You are hooked for life now..the last thing you see when you go to sleep is the "float" dipping down with a bit of hesitation....

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »

Nice read, great pics. Can't go wrong fishing beside Milo, but you gotta do something about that lid your wearing.

Wear a Blackhawks hat next time, you'll be surprised how many more fish you'll catch  ;D

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »

Congrats on your first steelie!
I also vividly remember the first steelhead I landed with such an excitement. :)

fishbuster

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »

Nice Fish, well done.

yoda

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »

Great read!! Nice fish, and the underwater photo's were awesome!
great to enjoy the first with friends also!
What is the camera make?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »

wonder how many times that ones been hooked, look at its mouth
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »

Congrats on your fish and way to go on the release!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »

wonder how many times that ones been hooked, look at its mouth

I don't believe it has been hooked many times as it was a hatchery fish. It would have been bonked long ago, methinks.

What is the camera make?

Canon D10.

Yeah, great day! :)
Congratulations Donny on your first fish.
They will be easier to catch from now on.
The time will come when you'll be able to call them...just like I did yesterday, LOL!

Until next time...tight lines,

Milo

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 09:14:33 PM »

Way to go Donny!!!
 You make us proud! I admire your perseverance

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 10:29:19 PM »

I don't believe it has been hooked many times as it was a hatchery fish. It would have been bonked long ago, methinks.

Well didnt you guys let it go? Just like the rods before you?
The Bigger The Better!

floatfisher

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 10:32:25 PM »

Congrats on your first and I agree kingpin it's been hooked several times before. It's mouth is looking pretty sore and it's maxillary is all ripped to s**t. Most anglers are probably looking for a bigger fish or a doe I think although smaller bucks like that one will taste better.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 10:58:29 PM »

It may have been hooked but doesn't mean it was landed

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 12:01:45 AM »

Excellent fish. beautiful handling. Beautiful release. MOAR BABIES!!

Just to add to this wonderful report

Me and my father made a trip down to our famous spot. Provided alot of hookups in the past.
Started crack of dawn and fished the strip up and down for hours.

We  tried fresh cured roe from a previous doe that we bonked and nothing all day.
Dad swapped back to Wool and a jensen egg at 845 am and 3 casts later Bamo a "snag" yells my dad
I promptly remind him that snags do not swim up stream at mach 1..
Every single fisherman reeled in with in 500 yards of us to watch the show, it was the 2nd fish all morning around about 30 fellas.
Dad patiently waited this fish out and after a few sprints in the rapids, finally came to our side of the river and Beached it.
10 LB hatchery weighed in at freds. One extra happy dad. Plus a well fed son :D
To all who remember our last pic;
didn't matter how much this fish bled!!!   I shook her to the last drop to make that meat taste oooooh so good. ;)
Tight lines to all

matthawkins

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »

Congrats man. I bumped into you the other day just below Wilson Rd. We talked about the 'sniper' Gomez & maybe Subban being traded. Glad to see you got your first, hoping to get my first one in my first season steel heading. Way to go again man, looks like a great day.