Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cell Phone Reception  (Read 12507 times)

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Cell Phone Reception
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »

They are all the same.  Choose your poison..

prairiefire

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »

Sweet!!! Thanks for all the info guys. I know I was kinda vague but I guess I was just looking for stories on peoples reception while out fishing. I am wondering who has the best coverage out of urban areas. I have been leaning towards switching to Telus. Now I might just do that. Just have to see who gives me the best deals.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:21:56 PM by prairiefire »
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »

If u tell Rogers that ur going to switch to Fido cause they have a $35 unlimited local calling, they'll match it. That's what I did. Don't forget that ur phone has a little bit to do with ur reception as well... I've always been on Rogers and my reception is better now cause I went from an older Blackberry to a new HTC.
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

DRP79

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »

Im on Bell and once i get past Tamahi, the reception drops off.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »

I'm on Rogers and have no coverage above Pointa Vista - F&G club. 

prairiefire

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »

That's how it goes for me. Mind you I have dropped my iPhone too any times. ::)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »

It depends on the phone. I've had some phones that cut out around Tamihi yet others were good all the way to Bourdon Creek. All on the same Rogers towers.

That being said, go with Bell/Telus. BY FAR the best coverage.
Actions speak louder than words.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »

That's how it goes for me. Mind you I have dropped my iPhone too any times. ::)

My IPhone went swimming last weekend.....as did I.  :-[

Luckily I was able to dry it out for a few days and it worked again good as new.
Actions speak louder than words.

ShaunO

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »

I should also mention that this little tool works like a hot damn.  We use one at Loon Lake where no phone, no matter which carrier will get a signal.  Drop any phone (that fits) into the cradle and were getting 3/5 bars of service.  Its enough for data and voice service.

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/ProductListing.aspx?Category=7

Just add a small, magnetic antenna to the roof of a vehicle and plug into the power supply and drop in your phone.  Money well spent if you are regularly in poor signal areas.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »

Luckily I was able to dry it out for a few days and it worked again good as new.

I now keep mine in a ziplock bag while fishing.
Not all those who wander are lost

prairiefire

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »

That sucks...Glad to hear you and your phone are O.K.!

penn

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 05:01:44 PM »

I'm sworn off Telus for the rest of my life after encountering their service department . Just wait til something goes wrong at telus that they need to fix and see if you'll still endorse them . Utter incompetence at it's worst .
They cut off our internet when we had requested them to cut our landline but leave the net . Instead they cut the net and left the landline . Took my wife about 20 phone calls (on hold each one for close to an hour ) to get through to a person there that actually cared and did not lie to us . Every day they claimed some one was working on restoring our internet at the moment or would be right away .
After this going on for two weeks daily we just told them to cancel our Net service as they cut it off and could not restore it . We were informed by them that if we did that there would be a $120 cancellation fee . My wife argue with them that we had no service , they cut it off and after two weeks of daily calls they had ended the service themselves and no we were not paying a cancellation fee as we never canceled it , they cut it.
That battle went on and on , explaining the entire story to a new person each time , each one claiming they had some one working to get our service restored , but never did . After about 20 different people my wife finally got one person who owned up to the situation and respectfully waived off the cancellation fee .
Go ahead and sign up with Telus if you want  , but you may want to  consider the service aspect of the provider you go with .

camtheman

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »

Ive got great reception with fido  and i can be talking to a rep within 2 minutes every time

my plan is 35$ for unlimited Canada wide minutes and i think unlimited international text  add 7 bucks for caller ID and your good to go never running out of minutes

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »

The only reception   I like to here is the water rushing bye  :D. Then receipting a nice chromer steel . Nothing else really matters . Sorry but , once I am on the river... the cell and the interuptions that would intale a stopage in play  ::) NO THANKS .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 08:14:31 PM »

I'm sworn off Telus for the rest of my life after encountering their service department . Just wait til something goes wrong at telus that they need to fix and see if you'll still endorse them . Utter incompetence at it's worst .

I had a similar experience. I called Telus to cancel my cell phone because I lost my phone. For several months I continued receiving bills for service I had cancelled. Each time I had to call them and each time received assurance that action has been taken. As if incompetence is bad enough, even more irritating is that the customer reps can't speak or spoke very bad English