Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stamp River, February 18th & 19th 2012  (Read 1559 times)

ShaunO

Stamp River, February 18th & 19th 2012
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:35:29 PM »

Stamp River, February 18 & 19 2012

My wife and I arrived in Port Alberni around supper time on Friday night after a white knuckle drive over the hump in the pouring rain complete with a recently burnt out headlight and a truck fully weighed down with a camper.  We geared up at Wally World with new headlights and supplies and dropped anchor for the night at a friends place.

Saturday

6:00AM Wake-up call and on the water by 7:30AM

The weather was cold and wet.  Overnight rains were heavy but were trickling off.  Light rain as we made our way to the Sproat/Stamp confluence.  We were not more than a few hundred feet into the Sproat, dropping freshly tied roe bags behind some boulders.  It didn't take long before the floats were diving, though our reflexes were a little slow as the coffee was still taking affect.  About 30 minutes of moving and casting and my float dove hard. I set the hook and held on.  The first fish of the morning was hatchery doe between 12-14lbs and was as chrome as any fish I had ever seen.  We chased her down river into some calmer waters where she rolled to her side and into the net.  A few more bites in the same hole didn't yield any results so we headed up river.  The rain must have made the fish bitey as I've never enjoyed so much steel so quickly.  From the rifle range down we found fish in every spot.  We released a few wild does back to nature, and proceeded to get our limits with lots of time to watch the Canucks beat the snot out of the Leafs.  A great day!

Sunday

6:30AM Wake-up call and on the water by 8:00AM

The sky was clear all night and only slightly clouded over around 7:00AM.  With no rain overnight and high tide being a full hour later than the previous day, the fish were a lot less inclined to take the bait so early.  We got a few bites in the Sproat but lost them all.  We travelled as far as the bucket with no success.  We made our way back down river slowly and decided to try the shallows at the rifle range again.  Pay dirt!  We picked up a small hatchery doe hiding in the shadows of the overhanging trees.  It was slow today and the rifle range had given up all she was going to.  The clay banks yileded no joy and neither did the sweet spot from the day before.  Just down from the cow run we moved into some nice slow moving water and we saw a few chromers move up and hold not too far away.  It didn't take long to get our casts into the right spot and before too long we had our limit and our day was complete.

P.S. My wife is a photographer by trade so she is to thank for the amazing photos. 

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Stamp River, February 18th & 19th 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »

Great Report Shaun O!

Looks like you went fishing with Nick? Great guy.

That area around the confluence sure is fishy.  Caught many steelies and springs there in years past.

ShaunO

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.  Its my first report so I wanted to cover all my bases.

Yeah, we were out with Nick.  I've fished with him lots over the years and not only does he find you fish, but he keeps you laughing your butts off all day long... which is a good way to keep warm on a wet, winter day.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »

Yes very enjoyable to read this report, very detailed with pics to boot. Great way to start a blog considering it's your first report. Well done!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »

How refreshing to read a Stamp River report! Thanks for sharing! Man do i ever miss fishing there!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »

great report and sweet pics! did you have a professional photog with you? Also are those hoodies Nick's company? pretty cool looking

ShaunO

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »

Thanks!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, the wifey is a photog by trade.  It sure makes looking back at our trips amazing with the great pics!

Those hoodies are Nick's companies.  We got a graphics guy to do up a logo and I had 3 made at Wordans.com for this trip.

If anyone would like to see more of her pictures from the weekend, here is a link to a gallery

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.241634772591376.60435.111664045588450&type=1&l=e858ee7a52

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »

LOL! Saw you out there. From a distance you look a fair amount like our local steelhead Bio, and I actually though you were him riding with Nick. LOL!

Nice Report, and Excellent Pix!! ;D

Cheers,
Nog