Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 26th 2012  (Read 2784 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, February 26th 2012
« on: February 26, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »

After the last two miserable days in Chilliwack where we were treated with rain, strong wind, snow, hail and less than ideal river conditions today dawned more favourable. With daylight coming earlier now it gave me a couple of hours to fish before church.
Once again welcome to the journal on Fishing with Rod your top fishing web site in Canada for fishing information, tips, educational videos, tale tails and much more.

My first stop was for a coffee and then tie up some roe bags, darn only had 4 squares of netting left, oh well that should last for the short time I had to fish. The walk to the river as night surrenders to day is always a pleasant experience. A few stars are visible in between the scattered clouds, a roster welcomes the dawn in the distance, a flock of geese lift off a gravel bar, a lone merganser is working the shallows, looking for an unwary trout knowing emerging chum and pinks alevins will soon be a welcome addition to his diet.

I reach my chosen run; once again no one is in sight which is surprising especially being a Sunday morning. I  sit on a log for a few minutes looking at the run soon to be fished  wondering if a steelhead is laying there, a few feet away, a unseen quarry as is the slight breeze every so quietly moving some willows in behind me. Certainly a lot different than yesterday when Cohoman said his float was being pushed upstream by the strong winds.

As I put on the roe bag I take notice of the improved water clarity from yesterday, prime. I first work the top part of the run to no avail and work down to the part where I have taken a few fish over the last month. On the first drift I am slow on the take and only pull half hearty with the float still in the water after the poor effort of setting the hook, the fish must have chased the bait as the float goes down again, I donot again strike properly. It takes a couple of more casts and then Maple Leaf 25 gram DNE down again, no resistance as I do strike as one should. The roe bag looks no worse for wear so another cast and down again but again I come up empty, I know it is not bottom as I am fishing very short.

After that nothing as I presume the fish has given up getting hold of my offering so I work the top of the run again before getting back to the hot spot. Again now with a fresh roe bag on I get a chance and this time I connect. This fish sure does not like the feel of the hook and takes off like a shot out of a cannon and heads down stream. It has a lot of line out before I can stumble across a side stream following in hot pursuit, I did not think I could still run as fast. It thrashes violently on top of the water as it continues down towards the next run. It does not hesitate as it goes over a shallow ripple before stopping for a bit in some deeper water. I finally catch up to it and catch my breath; I must have gone 200 to 300 yards from where I hooked it.

After this marathon run I have  the piece of chrome under control and as it comes to hand shortly after, a wild buck in the 10 pound range. Now with 2 roe bags left I head back to the run and sit on the log again thinking of what had just taken place, I am satisfied. Back with the rest of the journal  later this evening.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:03:58 PM by chris gadsden »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Chilliwack River, February 26th 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »

Great report so far Chris. These reports are all I have this steelhead season, as I have been trapped in the house with a back injury that prevents me from fishing. I look forward too reading the rest of your report as the Journal always makes it feel like we are right there with you, so I thank you for that.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »

Can't wait for the second part.

frozensalmon

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:30:03 PM »

im stuck in burnaby home struggling if I should drive all the way there with $1.41/litre gas price....... damn   :(
more coho, more coho... ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »

Now down to 2 baits I slip roe bag number 3 on the 2/O hook. You may ask why such a large hook but I find my roe bags sits better on this size as using my usual size 2 hook I have missed or lost a lot of fish this year.

It does not take long until I am offered another opportunity and I am into another fish, it too takes off, right away. What is with these guys as I have not had fish like this leave the run so quickly as soon as hooked? Again I stumble across the side stream, remembering I do have a bad knee which I am sure all this running over the rocks is not helping it too much; glad I have the brace on.

This fish seems to have more line out than fish number 1, I briefly look at the drum, looks to be getting near the end of the 10 pound Maxi ma, and I quicken my pace, I feel my heart pound, in excitement I guess, maybe it is all the running taking place today.
I am not sure how big it is but the way it took off it feels like a good size. It splashes some as it falls over the shallows and rapids into the run below but I cannot guess at its size. I hold the rod high as I can to keep it snagging on some larger rocks that are on the bar. I finally reach the slower run below and as before the fish comes to hand fairly quickly. I guess most of its energy was used up like me too in the 200 yards dash. I admire another wild buck smaller than I had thought it is because of the way it fought. It is not as big as the other maybe 8 pounds, fresh run. I quickly and easily remove the hook as it lays still in the foot of water then turning it towards its brother that I am sure is not far away. I again am satisfied. One roe bag now left, will it produce too?

frozensalmon

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »

Hey Chris so you are using 10lb leader only?  what's your mainline tension?

more coho, more coho... ::)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »

Wow, 2 for 2!  Nice work Chris, bring on the end of the report!!!

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »

One roe bag now left, will it produce too?

I say YES! A hatch!

Great read, looking forward to the next post!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »

this is better than the oscars.

flyrabbit

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »

cant't wait....good read...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »

Hey Chris so you are using 10lb leader only?  what's your mainline tension?

8 pound leader, 10 main.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »

this is better than the oscars.

Watching the Leafs is better than watching the Oscars :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »

I find none of the 2 fish’s companions in the run so with time ticking away I decide to move to another run I have also found success in a couple of times and as luck will have it on the first cast into a bit of a slot the float dives nicely again. I again make good contact. The Iron runs to the other side of the river but quickly packs it in to where I hooked it; no running needed this time, thanks goodness.

This fish is smaller than the first two, it’s a doe, its small too, 6 pounds tops, another wild but pretty as a newly minted silver dollar. She is happy to gain her freedom to join the 2 others I released into this run.  With no roe bags left I try a few more casts with a torn up roe bag with the little bit of wool I always tie on above the hook but it does not tempt another fish. I head for home, quickly change from waders and fishing cloths to church clothes, deliver a letter of reference to Everyday and off to my place of worship. Then I visited “The Master” at Dart and Tackle to buy some more netting for the roe bags. (He just sent me a picture of one he landed after work, a 13 pound wild doe, a lovely fish.)

It was then off to the opening of Gwen O’Mahoney’s campaign office for the upcoming by election being held in Chilliwack Hope. I got to speak to NDP leader Adrian Dix and some MLA’s, would have liked to talk about fish farms but did not.

My last stop was to visit a friend in the hospital before coming home to write this journal, another active day in ones retirement life. Another journal lays ahead tomorrow, note to self, take more roe bags next time but one should be happy with a 3 fish hatrick when it comes to fishing for that fish of a thousand casts as we call it, I hope it does not take that many until I see the float go down again. Of course if it does take that long I am thankful for today, in many ways.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »

the leafs should not even be mentioned.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »

4 bags 3 fish not a bad day at all! awesome