Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 27th 2012: Why we go out  (Read 1466 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, February 27th 2012: Why we go out
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »

I managed to get the day off today and figured I better take advantage.  This was my third trip of the year, and so far I've managed to shake hands with a handful of steel.  My buddy and I arrived at a spot on the lower at daybreak.  Conditions appeared ideal.  The water was perfect - slight green tinge and good flow.  The only problem was the wind.  About 50% of my drifts were ruined, and the cold air went right through me!  A couple of other anglers arrived, but no fish were seen for about an hour and a half.  We decided to warm up over a coffee and rethink some strategy.

We then hit the mid river and found a nice run to ourselves.  The wind wasn't as strong now, and the water looked perfect.  We first covered the water with roe bags, but didn't find any fish.  I decided to put on a jensen egg and cover the tail out.  The float went down, and the tell tale signs of a head shake woke me up!  After a spirited battle, I managed to land this beauty wild hen:

There's really not much more I could ask for today.  OK - maybe a few of Stratocaster's ghost shrimp??  After the release, we took off to the upper river and checked out a nice run.  There were three other anglers there pounding the run with prawns and wool combos.  Throw in our roe bags, blades, and jensen eggs and still not a fish to be seen.  One guy mentioned that there were fish sitting in the tail out section in the morning, but they appeared to have moved on.

By then, the day was finished and we wanted to grab a quick lunch and beat the rush hour traffic.  Good to be out again.  River is in prime shape, so go out if you can!

Cheers,

FFM   ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:48:22 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, February 27th 2012: Why we go out
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »

So your rod guides didn't freeze up?

Too bad I couldn't join you today.  Would have been better fishing in the cold than swamped at the office with work.

You went to our usual spots right?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »

So your rod guides didn't freeze up?

Too bad I couldn't join you today.  Would have been better fishing in the cold than swamped at the office with work.

You went to our usual spots right?

Yes - they certainly did!  In fact, I had a rather difficult birdsnest result when I casted and the line stopped going out due to my rod tip freezing!  So between stopping to warm up the hands and chipping ice off of my rod guides, my efficiency dropped considerably in the early morning.

Usual spots - correct.   ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »

next time your heading out let me know buddy cause i could have joined you today  ;)

glad to see you are getting fish on each outing, definately doing better than that damned spey rod of mine LOL I saw your pics on FB before seeing this of course  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:14:57 PM »

Hey Hook.  How's it going with the kids?  :)  Having a second child does really put a wrench into the fishing plans!  I wouldn't have it any other way!

Yeah, it's definitely a challenge trying to get a winter steel on the fly - particularly during the cold weather.  Good on ya for trying.  Stay in touch and good to hear from you.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:12:03 AM »

thankfully for me i have two boys so they will be dragging me fishing on a few short years. remember my 2 1/2yr old has already caught pinks  ;D LOL
I fish just as much as i did with only one kid so i havent noticed a change from 1 to 2 thank god. How about you stay in touch buddy, you also have my number remember  ;)

HOOK - fished with a gear rod once this season  :P
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/