Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 27th 2012  (Read 1507 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, February 27th 2012
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »

Welcome once again to The Journal on Fishing with Rod your top fishing web site in Canada for fishing information, tips, educational videos, photos and much more.

This must be a record to write 2 Journals back to back, so I will try to make this one brief but sometime I get carried away with The Journal. After yesterday’s success of 3 wild landed I was anxious to get back out there today. Yes I know, steelhead fishing can be addictive to many of us searching for this elusive river and ocean raised fish. Why would one brave all that winter can throw at us to just see our float go down with the hope it is a trophy sized Iron at the end of our line. Maybe it is the hunter gatherer scenario inherited from our ancestors that is still in our genes, I certainly do not know at times what drives us, maybe some others may have the correct answers.

Today was certainly one of those miserable winter days as the wind was howling from the North East temperatures was – 4 with the wind chill a lot worse. I awoke to see the trees outside the bedroom window waving violently; it made me almost want to pull the covers back over my head. However I said to Gwyn last night I would meet him at the parking area this morning so my feet hit the cold floor shortly after 5. My first task was to tie up some roe bags, 8, which I quickly tied up  in my den before my wife got up, needless to say she does not like the aroma they give off, especially in the house and at breakfast time.

I bundle up the best I could and headed for the river. Gwyn’s truck is in the lot and as I am a bit late he has already headed to the river. When I arrive we both say we are crazy to be out here but decide we will fish for 30 minutes before heading for coffee which is a highlight for us retired guys.

I leave Gwyn at the recent hot spot and I head to another run. My hands are cold and get colder as I put on the freshly tied roe bag, 2/0 hook through the top of the bag and bait loop over the bag to hold it snug, the hook now sits in good position below the bag. I have had better hook ups since going to this larger hook of late as I believe I mentioned before.

On the second or third cast the float disappears but on the hook set nothing is felt. A couple more casts but the same thing occurs, is it bottom? The next cast, DNE float down again, I wait a split second longer than before, I donot strike hard but just pull back a bit, yes it was and is a fish as the head shake is the tell tale sign. My first thought is, did I strike hard enough to sink the hook in? The fish does not want to leave the run like those 2 chaps from yesterday but instead it goes up, down, across, up and down again for the first 5 minutes of the battle.

As the steelhead that has not showed itself begins to tire, it starts to slip back to the tail out of the run, then the current aids it drift down stream ; I follow slowly, keeping the tension tight. I wonder if this fish will be a hatchery after the last 4 landed were wild. I decide if it is a hatchery and is landed it is coming home with me, too cold to stay out.

I guide it into the shallows, I see its back for the first time, yes a hatchery, a doe too, she looks around 12. Now I hope the line does not break just below the float as it did when I was ready to beach a nice sized hatchery buck last week. A few more half hearted runs that now come to an end and I slide her ashore as the line holds this time under the pressure I gently apply.

Boy my hands are now colder after, fighting, dispatching and bleeding the hen that now lays at my feet. I fumble to find my pen from my shirt pocket, check the date on my cell phone before marking my license; my day is now done, I fold up the rod.

Gwyn works down towards me and I apology I did not send him to the run I hooked the fish in as he had been away for a while and had not been fishing for a bit, “no problem” he replies. He fishes a bit more  but with guides freezing up and a couple of tangles as the drum kept spinning as the ice on the guides stopped the line, he says “the time is up let’s go for coffee”, I am happy to agree.

We have coffee with some other anglers who seem to be waiting for the temperature to warm up, smart guys, not like us who braved the elements. I felt lucky to get a fish that early in the outing.

After coffee I weight my prize steelhead at Fred’s and it tips the scale at 14.36 pounds, heavier than the other hatcheries I have retained this year. Fresh fish once again for the table and good memories of once again being able to find as well as land another beautiful steelhead. This time I only needed 1 roe bag leaving 7 for tomorrow. ;D

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:28:36 PM by chris gadsden »

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, February 27th 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »

Another awesome read!!!!!

yoda

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »

unlike you chris, i get up later. Must be great to roll out of bed knowing you're only minutes from the river.
Nice fish by the sounds of it. Little heavier than you had estimated.
Very interesting point about letting them take it rather than ripping on a slight take. I have been short floating as well this year, and seem to notice a lot more ticks like that.
I just probe until I get that big slam down, but maybe i'll try to hesitate on those light takes  for a second. Cool when you know how deep the water is, and the fact that you aren't hitting bottom so you know darn well that it is a fish that's checking your offering out!
Great day for me as well, 2 light takes, one big wild around 15lbs that spit the hook right at the shore, and a 11lb hatch male for the table as well.
I think i know where you are fishing, Yarrow side, right? ;D ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »

Great job Chris. Thanks again for the great read. I bet with this cold weather alot of people would of slept in this morning. Just watch out for snow that they are forcasting for tomorrow

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day