Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, March 2nd 2012  (Read 5078 times)

joshuag232

Tidal Fraser River, March 2nd 2012
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »

Decided to hit up the lower Fraser this morning since it's my day off school. The weather was pretty drab but the fishing was great. Bottom fished with shrimp on a sliding rig and managed to get 4 really nice sized flounder in 2 hours. Once it started raining the bite was off so I packed up and left. All in all, it was a great day to be out.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser River, March 2nd 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »

Cool !

i wasnt aware that anyone ever kept those things OR if you were even allowed to. They are fun to catch on a lightweight fly rod while fishing pinks in the salt, they feel hilarious on the line cause they wiggle different  :)

How do they taste ?
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Toprod

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »

Good eats!!!!

joshuag232

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:21:32 PM »

They taste alright, texture isn't too great though. A little mushy. Just baked the big girl up with some mayonnaise and parmesan, she tasted pretty good. There was also some roe inside that I didnt notice while gutting her which was a nice treat.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:37:36 PM »

You had more luck then me!

But I really do wonder if resident fish from the Lower Fraser are safe to eat...
Does anyone know if anything is tested in any way at all?
Have you been eating your catch from the Fraser for long?
Are you fishing the South Arm, Middle, or North Arm?

I have been out a few times now, and nothing on the fly.One thing I have noticed where I fish, the substrate used to be either hard packed sand or gravel; and now there is about 4 inches of sticky Fraser Mud...Anyone who has spend any time in the Lower Fraser will know what I mean!

Hopefully soon I will start to see salmon fry and finger crossed my luck will change!

joshuag232

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »

I have been eating fish from the Fraser since I was a kid. I can't imagine its too safe either but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right? :-X :P I was fishing the south arm

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »

Nice catch. Starry eye flounders. Caught tons of them as a kid

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:22 PM »

Nice fish!  In my experience, they usually taste a little too salty for me

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »

I have been eating fish from the Fraser since I was a kid. I can't imagine its too safe either but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right? :-X :P I was fishing the south arm

Actually, with the way bio-accumulation works, that which doesn't kill you today will only kill you later.
Not all those who wander are lost

cohoaaron

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:45:12 PM »

Hey awesome catch!!! Where abouts where you? Near richmond?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 09:36:37 PM »

But I really do wonder if resident fish from the Lower Fraser are safe to eat.

Good question and you have more information on that than most on this forum.
Personally I would not eat a fish species that resided in the lower Fraser for more than one year until I knew from reliable sources that particular species was contaminant free.  To my knowledge those data sources are non existant.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »

I was afraid of that!
Will ask around on Monday.
One would think with all the Bivalve testing that is supposedly done...some of the resident fish would also be looked at...

Back when we used to do Species Composition and Biomas in the Lower Fraser, we had Simon Jones come out and take samples. He was amazed at the amount of parasites on fish in the Lower Fraser not too mention tumors and lesions on just about anything larger than 20 cm from the North Arm. South Arm was much better but still the sewage treatment plant off Annacis Island and again the years of abuse "We" have given it...

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 09:34:52 AM »

I haven't eaten flounder since I was a youngun' and I always found them a little too boney for me. Much prefer fresh coho. And a very good question MKC about the toxicity levels in the fish. I would question whether it would be safe. Migrating fish are fine I'm sure but I may be wrong but I would think flounder's would pretty much live in one area for there whole existence, would'nt they ?

That being the case I would I would not avail myself the luxury of this fine cuisine even if it might make me stronger. Had a friend who smoked cig's and cigars like a chimney, drank like a fish and never excercised. I often warned him of his habits but he would shrug them off saying, "My grandpa lived to be 95 and he smoked and drank his whole life just like I do, hah."

Passed away at the ripe old age of 54. Nice catch of fish by the way Joshuag232, well done.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »

Actually, with the way bio-accumulation works, that which doesn't kill you today will only kill you later.
:D

joshuag232

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »

I was right down by the end of 5 road in richmond cohoaaron