Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, March 2nd 2012  (Read 5076 times)

Bavarian Raven

Re: Tidal Fraser River, March 2nd 2012
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »

i would be leary about eating from the lower frasier (and burrard inlet too). i remember doing a theoretical study on flounder and resident trout, and chemical contamination in uni. on those two fish species. while my report found them "safe" to eat, it was only true if they were consumed at less then 1 kg of fish per week. lol. but since my methods were probably a little suspect i would take this with a heavy grain of salt. that being said, there is a lot of crap dumped/leaching into the harbour and would limit what i do eat from the harbour/lower river... :P

nevertheless, nice catch  ;D

cohoaaron

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »

I was right down by the end of 5 road in richmond cohoaaron
did you go around high tide? How much weight did you need? I would really like to give it a go.......
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:02:24 PM by cohoaaron »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »

I bet them fish are safer to eat than the chicken and beef your buying at the supermarket.
No steroids in them Flounders.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 10:22:03 PM »

I bet them fish are safer to eat than the chicken and beef your buying at the supermarket.
No steroids in them Flounders.
Yeah right :D
Whatever has been flushed down your toilet, or your neighbours toilet, or your buddies toilet in Prince George, Quesnel etc, or has been been dumped in storm drains in towns along the Fraser River eventually ends up in these mature Starry Flounders and other resident fish like Largescale Suckers, Peamouth Chub, Northern Pikeminnows, and sturgeon.  You mention steroids; do you know anyone using birth control pills?  Where does that person pee?

As Sandman said, it's a cumulative effect.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »

Whatever has been flushed down your toilet, or your neighbours toilet, or your buddies toilet in Prince George, Quesnel etc, or has been been dumped in storm drains in towns along the Fraser River eventually ends up in these mature Starry Flounders and other resident fish like Largescale Suckers, Peamouth Chub, Northern Pikeminnows, and sturgeon.  You mention steroids; do you know anyone using birth control pills?  Where does that person pee?

Yep... The general public has very little understanding when it comes to hormones in sewage effluent and their effects on estuary wildlife.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 11:41:51 PM »

Very well put, I like it. Stuff like birth control pills/hormones etc. are very costly if not impossible to filter out. Even more troublesome the fact that some [although cant say for sure in BC] sewage treatment plants remove solids ONLY.

cohoaaron

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »

Oh my goodness....whenever I catch a large sculpin in the tidal, some old Asian guy asks me for it because he eats them.....grosss

joshuag232

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »

@cohoaaron I was using about half an ounce of weight. Tide had just started going out

cohoaaron

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »

@cohoaaron I was using about half an ounce of weight. Tide had just started going out

mykisscrazy

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »

So I have made a few phone calls and there is no testing done on any finfish in the lower fraser to determine if they are safe to eat.
Everyone says they must be safe, but there is no way they would eat any resident fish species caught in the Lower Fraser.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 01:44:17 PM »

I gave my friend a large starry flounder years ago to eat, however, I told him it was a fresh sole.  :D

A few weeks later I asked him how it was and the answer was gross, mushy, basically completely awful.

I also found the flounders to be very aggressive when dragging lures along the bottom.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »

So I have made a few phone calls and there is no testing done on any finfish in the lower fraser to determine if they are safe to eat.
Everyone says they must be safe, but there is no way they would eat any resident fish species caught in the Lower Fraser.

I'm not sure which agency would be responsible for testing resident fish in the Fraser but if people are eating these fish, and it sounds like they are, maybe some cages should be rattled to see if there is indeed a danger to the public.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »

All I need is this sign to tell me what I should or should not be eating from the Fraser. ;D

Anyway, I liked those starry flounder photos. :) Last year we tried to get some so we could get some better photos of them for the website but failed miserably, maybe it's time to try it again... ;)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 05:40:26 PM »

Are there still a lot of sculpins and other coarse fish around in the winter? I always figured that they disappeared until the summer...

joshuag232

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »

Didn't seem like it leaping steely, all I caught were the flounder