Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Boat and Sportsman Show kids fishing pond, March 3rd 2012  (Read 3186 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
BC Boat and Sportsman Show kids fishing pond, March 3rd 2012
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »

Got to the spot just after 11. The amount of cars parked outside told me this was for sure a productive fishery. Waited in line for 15 minutes and paid $12, great deal IMO considering the fact I had just bought the exclusive rights to access a fishing hole on private property.

Got to fish pond around 11:30. Lots of kids in line, most of them were pole fishing with ice fishing rods, so I gave my 15" spey rod to my friend to hold. Approached the pond, and trout were STACKED up in there. Boy I tell ya, right under the rapids where the pump water flows into the black tub was the spot to be. Some hogs were rolling at the surface.

Heard one guy limited out on his first cast a few minutes earlier with a piece of corn, others were using bits of tree bark. One guy told me he hooked in to 4 yesterday but got spooled on the last one of about 300 grams. All that I saw was one wild which got promptly released. Most were just hogs I tell ya. Anyhow, I put on some grey and black wool. Casted into the rapids but as the temperature was dropping inside the Trade-X, the fish were pretty dormant and staying on the bottom and the bite was off. I decided to call it a day. Should have been there yesterday I guess. Either way it was just nice to get out, you know.

Lots of guys were snagging, flossing, and even bare hooking in the trout pond. Thought about calling it in to RAPP, but I decided just to enjoy my angling experience. On my way out I came across the F.O. and C.O. booth, so I gave them an anonymous tip about multiple children without licences intentionally foul hooking trout, some keeping well over their limit.

Maybe next year...

:D

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: BC Boat and Sportsman Show kids fishing pond, March 3rd 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »

gee , thanks..............my spot will be packed tomorrow now !  ;D ;)

prairiefire

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »

;D One kid had the nerve to cast over my line and tangle up. I had to cut his line off and toss it in the pond.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:27:58 PM »

Talk about hogs... there were a couple of 4 pounders in that pond...no lie.  It was great to see the look on the kids' faces (mine was no different) as that beast swam past them, or better yet sat right under their noses.  He was so close she could pet it.  Thanks to the Nicomekl Enhancement Society, the kids had a great time.  
Not all those who wander are lost

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »

Very few wild's left in that pond.  the vinyl and concrete bottom makes for poor spawning habitat.  Mostly hatcheries now.  I used to fish it alot but stopped ever since a 3 year old low holed me a couple years ago.  Felt like throwing him in but didn't because his dad was there.  I tried to lobby for fly only but they wouldn't hear of it.  Good place to fish but you need to deal with all the crap that goes with it!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »

Great thread fishunter and super responses :) Waiting to see if Nina beat out Rodney again ...

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »

Yeah way too many [3 year old] guys, I swear those kids have no etiquette. I was fishing one of the best stepping stools but this kid came right beside me we could literally rub shoulders, no respect. It was like fishing pegleg during sockeye season, just a mess. It's to be expected though, a productive fraser valley hole like that is bound to be busy. I think a bait ban would help weed out some of these meat harvesters though. Maybe keep them at home in their own bath tubs with their little plastic magnetic fishing rods and fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

I was told by a member of this forum who attended today it was hard to fish around all the coffee and soft drink cups that were floating around the pond as it seemed everyone was just tossing them in, thinking any waterway is the place to depose of their garbage.  :D

The Chilliwack Vedder Cleanup River Society will attend in force next year to deal with these polluters.

fish bonk

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »

My sons trout jumped out of the pool , hit the nice lady in the face beside us. Then flip flopped under the curtain into the next booth. My son looked at me and said can we do that again daddy. Too funny ;D

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »

I was told by a member of this forum who attended today it was hard to fish around all the coffee and soft drink cups that were floating around the pond as it seemed everyone was just tossing them in, thinking any waterway is the place to depose of their garbage.  :D

The Chilliwack Vedder Cleanup River Society will attend in force next year to deal with these polluters.

LOL! the stepping stools were littered with roe containers, balls of 50lb mainline and beer cans. I found myself a nice drennan though  :D

I tried the smoked salmon they had at the booth and said to the guy "I always wondered what they did with the spawned out broodstock"... he didn't like the joke.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 09:04:02 PM »

Even though rotational angling was being practiced at this particular spot, Nina and I simply found it too crowded after watching for several minutes. ;D

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »

dmw limited out .pics to follow.sorry dave.lol
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:49 AM »

Even though rotational angling was being practiced at this particular spot, Nina and I simply found it too crowded after watching for several minutes. ;D
You have to get there at first light for a prime spot, what do you expect when you sleep until noon. :D

matthawkins

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »

Near spat my coffee out this morning reading fishhunter's post and the replies.
Too funny!
Thanks guys.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:42 AM »

While discussing world affairs at the Long Table this morning a usually impeccable source of information revealed the largest Toad in the pond seemed to appear “yellowish”. I suggested the fish had perhaps eaten one too many hotdogs but this turn of events of course was of great concern to another well known forum member, perhaps best known as a float collector and anti Liberal, who promptly tracked down Alexandra Morton on a beach somewhere in the southern hemisphere where she was busy counting her money.  We are told Ms. Morton was appalled at this latest outbreak of pestilence and, after a scathing verbal attack on Government for not protecting the habitat of these gorgeous but sadly inbred trout, has assembled a crack team of samplers who are on their way to Tradex to check for ISA, enlarged prostates and sea lice.
There was also some talk of Don Staniford coming back to Canada to lead this latest fight but no one seems to know what pub he is living at in Britain.