Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, April 14th & 15th 2012: Local sturgeon  (Read 5790 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Tidal Fraser River, April 14th & 15th 2012: Local sturgeon
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »

Went out again yesterday and today.  Got one 5 footer yesterday.  Used old salmon parts for bait.  Went out today and had a bunch of nibbles.  Gonna go out again tomorrow. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Tidal Fraser River, April 14th & 15th 2012: Local sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »

did you try any other bait? didn't think salmon parts would work at this time of year... I have been out a few times and have only one 4 footer to show for it, been using ditch eels and eullies

Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

clujalolo

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:38:21 PM »

Where do you usually go for the sturgeon? I personally would love to go, i have never even seen a sturgeon up close.

if you have any tips, shot me a pm.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »

Salmon cuttings were all I used.  Might not be the best, but 3 fish in 3 outings ain't bad.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

missionmike

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:44:29 AM »

A little off topic but I have wanted to try Sturgeon fishing in the lower Fraser for sometime now but have never had my  boat below Grassy. My boat  is a prop and I was wondering what the average water depth between mission and Fort Langley was. With all the big boats and tugs I would imagine that it is deeper than where I usually run.
The big draw back is the Mission boat launch, I stop by there on my way home from work and it seems very busy and congested, cant imagine it on a weekend. I cant figure out why they cannot figure out a way to open the Dewdney launch year round. With all this technology you would think they could have key cards for boaters which would open the gate.

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:17:43 AM »

A little off topic but I have wanted to try Sturgeon fishing in the lower Fraser for sometime now but have never had my  boat below Grassy. My boat  is a prop and I was wondering what the average water depth between mission and Fort Langley was. With all the big boats and tugs I would imagine that it is deeper than where I usually run.
The big draw back is the Mission boat launch, I stop by there on my way home from work and it seems very busy and congested, cant imagine it on a weekend. I cant figure out why they cannot figure out a way to open the Dewdney launch year round. With all this technology you would think they could have key cards for boaters which would open the gate.

If you wanted to take an "average" from Mission to the Fort, you would be running roughly 30'..... Tons of places to fish, lots of smaller fish (6' and under) this time of year..... Ollies is THE bait for this time of year, other baits will catch fish, but oolies are hitting the river.....

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:43 AM »

Salmon cuttings were all I used.  Might not be the best, but 3 fish in 3 outings ain't bad.

No offense meant Driller, but three fish in three outings this time of year is terrible! Start moving around more, get your bait selection to at least three different baits! Talk to people who fish them regularly and pick their brains. This time of year a slow day for me is usually 6-8 fish with 12-15 not being abnormal!

Mike

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »

Maybe he's fishing from shore, Mike?  If that's the case I'd imagine the numbers would be way down from what a boat can manage.

Either way, glad to hear you're getting fish!  Hope you're doing well, sorry we haven't caught up over the past year or so!  Hope you're continuing to do well.

Cheers!
:)
Tex

missionmike

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »

Thanks for the info Mike

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »

Mikes not far off this time of year i have 6 to 8 fish days from shore :)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »

No offense meant Driller, but three fish in three outings this time of year is terrible! Start moving around more, get your bait selection to at least three different baits! Talk to people who fish them regularly and pick their brains. This time of year a slow day for me is usually 6-8 fish with 12-15 not being abnormal!

Mike

Ok, well lets help a guy do well, instead of terrible.  Start moving around more?  What do you mean?  You have no idea how often I move.  I fish from a boat, I found a handful of spots that work well with tides etc.  I fish each spot for a couple of hours.  I agree, I have to change up to some other baits.  I've only gone out this year four times.  The first day I went out with Salmon trimmings, and in 2 hours we landed 2 4.5 footers.  I was thrilled.  A couple of days later I went out and used the exact same bait.  We got a 5 footer at the beginning of the day.  THe rest of the day was quiet, but there were many bites.  Oolies, and apparently you can't net them.  So everyone talks about oolies, but where can you get them?  I bought fresh water smelts at superstore, plus octopus, scad, and mackerel.  THis will be for the next outing, plus I will use worms too.

I saw what I suspect was a guide boat today out in the Pitt River.  The boat was anchored in the same spot for 4 hours, it picked up and moved about a half mile and anchored there for another few hours.  They didn't seem to move often.

I've been working the waters, above the Port Mann up to the bottom of Barnston Island, and into the Pitt Just past the Pub.  My boat goes pretty quick so It's not a problem to go further up river but I am trying to learn this portion. 

I don't need to know where the honey holes are.  i will eventually find my own honey holes, but any pointers are definitely appreciated.  I will eventually become an excellent sturgeon angler, but just like I had to learn how to fish for perch, pike, bass, walleye, brook trout, rainbows, carp, crappie, halibut, salmon, steelhead, whitefish, splake, catfish, jack travelle, sierra, and dorado, I have to pay my dues.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 10:00:43 PM »

Was that you who we saw today at the boat launch? :)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:15 PM »

Yes Rodney.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »

Nice boat. ;) We stood there for so long hoping that you would pick us up for the day since our guide took off with the boat. ;D

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »

Your buddy was talkative, I tried to make small talk with you but you seemed like you were quiet.  I would've gladly brought you guys out.  I'm sure the guide boat would've lent us a couple of rods, and some extra bait.