Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, April 14th & 15th 2012: Local sturgeon  (Read 5792 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser River, April 14th & 15th 2012: Local sturgeon
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »

You may find oolies south of the border.  They would be the Columbia River ones and may not work as well as the Fraser ones but probably better than salmon parts for this time of the year.  Also, try injecting the baits with scent.  Pro cure makes a wide range of different scents and oils.  I know some guides that swear by them.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »

Your buddy was talkative, I tried to make small talk with you but you seemed like you were quiet.  I would've gladly brought you guys out.  I'm sure the guide boat would've lent us a couple of rods, and some extra bait.

Next time. :) I talk a lot less than in person than in my videos. ;D I doubt the guide would have lent us the gear actually lol, the goal of yesterday's trip was to test out the new rods and reels while hopefully getting a video feature completed. The boat computer turned out to have some water damages. We'll probably try again next week.

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 06:28:55 AM »

Here you go Driller......

Get Eulachons..... period!

Most of the fishing shops have them (usually) and sell them in small numbers. I usually buy 4 cases (100lbs) at the beginning of the season and do them up in 10 pack zip lock bags....worth their weight in gold for dinos!

Don't buy the washington smelt, crap and a waste of time and money...period! Think like a fish and think of what is in the river at any given time for them to eat. These fish have just come off a period of time with basically not much for them eat and oolies are the first thing to hit the river...dinner bell!!!

Location.... oolies come up river from the ocean.... therefore you can fish them from the lower river up to Chilliwack with this bait. People fish them from New West (around the Key) with good success all the way up. Watch where you consatntly see boats fishing and try fishing these locations when noone is there. Do you have a sounder? If so, look for a depression, even slight, and drop anchor just above it so you can cast into the hole. Look for back eddys, slower water......

When? I fish dinos from the end of February until November (weather dependent)... early season and late season (for me) are the best, then again, it is nice in summer to sit back and relax in the sun!

leaseman

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 06:36:08 AM »

I could spend hours typing on where, when, how to......

The way I learned is I/we hired a guide (very well known) and told him what we were doing..... wanting to learn. Spent the day with him and then hit the water ourselves. This was before "internet fishing" was around..... our first season IIRC was 50+ fish boated and we thought we were the kings of the river ( ;) ;D ::)).....NOT! We have had many days in double digit fish with my best being 32 fish in 9 hours and three rods (in the fall).....

Get out and explore, most places will hold a fish or two so have fun!

Now the fall fishing....well that is a whole new story..... ;)

If you have questions, ask away, just respect these fish so we can keep the fishery going!!!

Mike

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 09:25:11 AM »

Thanks Mike,

I truly respect all living creatures, and I am extremely respectful of this amazing fishery we have here.  I was offered Ollie's at my bait shop, but was told they are 4 bucks a piece.  I might not be able to get my hands on any this year, but next year I will try for sure.  I will continue to hunt for these fish.   I'd like to hire a guide one day, but for now, I have a new boat, and all the gear.  I'd rather be my own guide.  I've seen guys digging for information on the Internet before particularly around salmon season.  Where to fish, and what gear to use etc.  I don't want to be to demanding on this forum, but let's face it.  This is a format for all of us to share information.  I've given plenty of reports here.  I'd be a fool not to try and tap into some extra info.
Thanks again.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

RG

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »

Driller, is your guiding service for hire?

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »

If you have questions, ask away, just respect these fish so we can keep the fishery going!!!

Mike

Mike, I just read through several of your older posts and enjoyed it.  Very useful information.  I heard about not using a rope around a fish before, but I have also seen several pictures on various web pages of big fish with rope on the tail.  I personally would rather get wet, and use my arms around the fish to steady it, if it were a big one.  The list of rules was definitely good to read.  One thing that I have been really considering for sure is to upgrade to a decent reel.  I already have 6 foot 6 inch heavy rods, an upgrade to a better reel with a good drag is all I need to haul these things in and release them safely.  I'm not rich.  The most I would want to spend on a reel would be 250.  Any ideas?  I saw one of your older posts you mentioned 3 brands of reels.  When you go to the web site you get multiple choices of different size reels etc.
Who's got Fraser river Ollie's for sale? 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

tnt

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:15 AM »

Penn Squall 40s are great reels a couple of our guideds are usiong them... freds has good oolies.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

leaseman

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 06:28:46 AM »

Check out the ones Thomas (TNT) mentioned, also look at the Penn 320's, the TLd20's, both good reels and used lots, inexpensive too! Probably could pick up two for your $250.00..... I used the Penns for years and a couple of TLD's.... I found that after a bit of time the drags weren't smooth.... I got a fair bit of heat on that comment from some, but that was my experience. I started fishing sturgeon because I hated the combat fishing with people "shoulder to shoulder" and love the fight. Since it is my main fishery (for now) I spent more on the reels I wanted and finally have all the same rods and reels on my boat after many years of mis matched rods, reels etc.....

Ollies are expensive from most of the outlets.... try buying bulk for a lower price... I will check and see if my supplier is back up and running in his new location and let you know! One BIG thing to remember here..... you have the boat, the equipment, spend $$$$ on fuel and maintenance, travel time, lunches etc..... see where this is going?? Spend a few bucks for the bait that works and you WILL be into fish! Just about anything will catch the odd fish, but use what they are LOOKING for and you will catch them. You said in an earlier post about thinking like a fish, well in the spring oolies are the first large food source to hit the river, they gorge on them as they haven't had a large supply of food in a long time.... then come the salmon..... worms in a roe sack work well too at this time of year, just remember to poke them with a needle or something to get the scent going..... ;D

Anymore questions??

Mike

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »

I'll spot you a bag of 10 frozen oolies if you want.
Let me know where you are or where you fish and maybe I can meet you somewhere.

I bought a big box of them last year and they are killer bait this time of the year - I believe they spawn in early May so this is prime time.

As far as a reel, I have used Penn 320s and 330s - the 320s are fairly small and you will get spooled on a big fish.
I got my 330 in a package deal with a 320, a 330, and 2 x 6500s for $200.

Keep your eyes open on the Buy & Sell sections.

As far as spots go, keep a real close eye out on where other people are anchored.

Edit: almost forgot - there is a trick to putting them on the hook - remember to ask me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:05:54 PM by Easywater »

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »

I'll spot you a bag of 10 frozen oolies if you want.
Let me know where you are or where you fish and maybe I can meet you somewhere.

I bought a big box of them last year and they are killer bait this time of the year - I believe they spawn in early May so this is prime time.

As far as a reel, I have used Penn 320s and 330s - the 320s are fairly small and you will get spooled on a big fish.
I got my 330 in a package deal with a 320, a 330, and 2 x 6500s for $200.

Keep your eyes open on the Buy & Sell sections.

As far as spots go, keep a real close eye out on where other people are anchored.

Edit: almost forgot - there is a trick to putting them on the hook - remember to ask me.

I'd love some.  I get back from work trip Thursday. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:54:03 PM by Driller »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »

sent you an email about a reel.

777fishing

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »

If you want to save up a bit of cash, get yourself a nice 16VSX International.   I've used them now for a few years, I also have had a few tld's which did work well, but they don't even compare to the International. Good Luck!     

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 05:11:07 AM »

Just bought 2 penn SQL 40 LD reels.
Highwater in North Van.  All set.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »

Hit  the area from the mission bridge down to the stave pretty good today.  Still trying to learn this fishery.  Finally got some oolies.  Landed a 4 footer.  Tried roe, and worms, but mostly stuck to oolies as that's what a lot of people have been telling me.  Presentation of the bait was good, just couldn't find the fish.  Going out again tomorrow. 

Anyone interested in fishing next week.  Email me.  I took the week off, and will fish hard.  Must be willing to share anchor pulling duties!   Kind of joking, but not really.