Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vancouver saltwater, May 3rd 2012  (Read 2418 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Vancouver saltwater, May 3rd 2012
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »

Yesterday we did a last-minute short trip with Jason at Bon Chovy Fishing Charters. The weather was not great but manageable for this fair-weather fisherman. ;D We dropped off the crab traps first before heading out to troll around South end of Bowen Island and back around near Vancouver Harbour as well. The tide was not favourable according to Jason but we did better than expected. The second rod hit one as soon as it was dropped in when we started. It was an undersized fish. We had three more chances after that with two keepers and one lost. Little people like Nina and I had a hard time setting the hook to release the line from the downrigger. ;D Overall it was very enjoyable with a very professional guide without having to go too far for some saltwater salmon action. :) We also picked up some crab on the way home. ;)

Video feature of this trip to come in a couple of months from now. :)

Dr. Backlash

Re: Vancouver saltwater, May 3rd 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »

Nice work Rod - way to support the local guides.  I've been thinking of doing the same thing.  Congrats on the nice catch!

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »

Thanks for the report, but i think you forgot Nina picture ;D

http://www.bonchovy.com/blog/2012/05/may-5th-update/

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »

Red or white springs ?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »

Early runs are always reds...

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »

Not in Vancouver Harbour area, a good majority are marbles and taste awful.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »

So Rod,

How did they taste?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »

They tasted fine, but that's probably because I am a better cook than Trout Slayer. ;D

Both fish were marble, but more red than white.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »

Great video, Rod!  I really enjoyed how efficiently you got the rod out of that downrigger clip!  ;)

Seriously though, nice work - Jason is a fantastic guy, and a great guide.  Worked with him up north for 3 years and he catches a lot of fish (same goes for his associate, Jeff).

Thanks for sharing!
:)
Spence

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »

Great video, Rod!  I really enjoyed how efficiently you got the rod out of that downrigger clip!  ;)

Jason: Reel down!
<Rod yanks rod repeatedly>
Jason: Reel down!
<Rod yanks rod repeatedly>

;D

There's always a first for everyone lol. ;D Jason is indeed an awesome guide. While we edited the videos and watched the footages with the fish on, we talked about how hard he was working around the boat to make sure those fish were not going to tangle up the other lines. :)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

You know I was just giving you a hard time, Rod, if I had a dollar for every time I had to scold a sport for setting out of the downrigger clip the wrong way, I'd be a rich man by now.  Not many people ever get it right in one trip, and almost none get it right the first few tries.  It's harder than it looks!

There are different schools of thought on how to release the rigger clip.  I prefer the same method as Jason and most other guides - reel down into the clip until your rod tip is in the water then give'er.  That should release the clip, then reel tight to the fish and set the hook. 

That said, for some clients, who just couldn't ever seem to figure out how to release the clip by setting through it, I just told them to keep reeling until I told them to stop, and then set the hook.  That way, the simple act of reeling would often power them right through the clip and - bam! - you're tight to the fish a second or two later.

Of course, what we all want is a big/strong enough fish to just always automatically have the clip release, but that's not always the reality - especially when you're fishing feeder chinook.

Regardless, great vid!
:)
Spence

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »

You know I was just giving you a hard time, Rod, if I had a dollar for every time I had to scold a sport for setting out of the downrigger clip the wrong way, I'd be a rich man by now.  Not many people ever get it right in one trip, and almost none get it right the first few tries.  It's harder than it looks!

Yeah, we had a good laugh after that. Jason specifically told me to reel down before setting the hook before we got started and look what happened. Good thing I only did that once. Nina couldn't stop laughing about it until she did the exact same thing. I'll have to put that in the 2012 bloopers... ;)