Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monofilament vs. Fluorocarbon  (Read 9154 times)

fishslayer7

Monofilament vs. Fluorocarbon
« on: May 04, 2012, 11:35:59 PM »

Since I started fishing I have always used maxima 8 lb monofilament leader for salmon/steelhead and haven't really explored anything else. I have seen a number of guys using fluorocarbon line and thought I had to ask about it. I know its more 'invisible' and all that but I've also heard its not as strong especially at the knots. So if I was to buy fluorocarbon leader what brands/test should I look at that would hold up to the same abuse that 8 lb ultragreen would?  ???

patagonia

Re: Monofilament vs. Fluorocarbon
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »

IMO mono is fine for 99% of salmon and steelhead fishing.. i will occasionally use fluoro when flyfishing for selective trout in gin clear water or occasionally for stealhead in very clear and low water... otherwise mono is fine

patagonia

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »

coho on the cap is another time I have used Fluoro... when it is low and clear and im fishing a small presentation

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:43:24 AM »

--Fluoro is only weak at the knot if it is tightened without proper lubrication. If tied dry it will be very brittle and will break easily.
--Fluoro... especially as fly leader will sink faster and is generally stiffer than mono, these attributes along with the well known invisible qualities are valuable for fishing chronometers.
--the line is hard,  thus is often used for toothey fish and abrasion resistance. Due to invisible properties... can use larger diameter.

--downsides...very toxic to produce only made in a few factories (in part the reason for higher price).... takes a long time to break down...as with any line but in particular with Fluoro bring it back for recycle 

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »

Both leaders material serves me well, but you still have to know your basic fishing skill to catch your fish.

Fillibert

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 06:17:06 PM »

What about maxima chameleon will it blend in clear water or is clear line better. When would you use which

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:21:08 PM »

So you have to spit on the fluorocarbon before tying it?  I was trying out 12lb fluoro in the upper Veddar this past pink season, and the leader snapped 5 times in a row when the fish was on.

joshhowat

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »

Try hooking your fish in the mouth. It will make it easier to land so you don't have to pull so hard.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »

Try hooking your fish in the mouth. It will make it easier to land so you don't have to pull so hard.
They were all in the mouth and leader broke with very little pressure.  I went back to Mono and it was fine.

hookR

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 04:07:17 AM »

They were all in the mouth and leader broke with very little pressure.  I went back to Mono and it was fine.

go back to fluoral. just make sure it is well lubed before u knot it

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »

So you have to spit on the fluorocarbon before tying it?  I was trying out 12lb fluoro in the upper Veddar this past pink season, and the leader snapped 5 times in a row when the fish was on.

You must be joking, 12lb fluorocarbon leaders snapped on the pink salmon, What brand new did you used, did you lube before tie up.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »

--this is very common and will break with surprisingly little pressure when knot isn't properly lubricated when being tied. It is a big complaint and often the line is blamed no matter which brand is used.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »

You must be joking, 12lb fluorocarbon leaders snapped on the pink salmon, What brand new did you used, did you lube before tie up.
I was using Vanish and I was surprised as anybody this happening so many times.  Where I was fishing, I don't think fluoro would have made a big difference anyways because the water was moving pretty rough and fast.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »

I was using Vanish and I was surprised as anybody this happening so many times.  Where I was fishing, I don't think fluoro would have made a big difference anyways because the water was moving pretty rough and fast.

Ah thats what your problem is.  Vanish was one of the worst fluro lines out there.  I used it a couple of times and promptly tossed it out.  lost a few fish with it.  Spend the money and get a better line like Seaguar or Suffix.  Now I have heard that they did improve Vanish a bit but I am not willing to take any chances again.