Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1/8oz lures  (Read 3333 times)

Ben!

1/8oz lures
« on: May 20, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »

Are 1/8oz lures (both spoons and spinners) all weight the same?!  ???

The reason why I ask is because I've recently bought 1/8oz rooster tail spinners and noticed that they feel a lot lighter compared to 1/8oz crocs. Has anyone else noticed this or am I'm just crazy...

Thanks  :)

Old Blue

Re: 1/8oz lures
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »

They should be the same but it could be the quality of the lure as well....those cheap rooster tails are low quality compared to a croc

island boy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »

roosters may be cheap but they work. this weekend while fishing in the merritt area the flies had slowed and tried a rooster and was into fish on the third cast.
you kill it, you clean it.

Ben!

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »

Old Blue - Good point!!  ;D

Island Boy - True, can't care too much about the quality when it produces!!

300zxfairlady

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »

it also has to do with the fact that a spinner has more airtime drag and is less dense as you cast compared to a croc.
just imagine throwing a rock and throwing a plank of wood that weighs the same. the rock would be thrown much farther

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »

300zxfairlady brings up a very good point. I find that I can usually cast further with a spoon than a spinner at the same weight. The 1/8oz Rooster Tail indeed feels a bit lighter than a 1/8oz Croc. We've actually been using the 1/8oz Rooster Tail lately and done pretty well on trout. Occasionally I've added a sliding weight 2ft above the lure (weight, swivel, 2ft leader, Rooster Tail) so I could cast a lot further.

Ben!

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »

Rodney - I haven't had a chance to use the roosters yet, but I've heard people complaining about the the blade not spinning properly; have you experienced this?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »

I did have some problem with that last year when I started using them, but then I got used to it by adjusting the retrieves. Hard to explain how the problem was solved, but play around with different retrieves and you should be able to find what's right. My problem was I'm used to retrieving a French blade, which is broader than the blade on the Rooster Tail. The action of the two blades is quite different.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »

Sometimes those smaller spinners have a hard time starting up maybe give the rod a quick jerk right as you start your retrieve to get it going

Ben!

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »

300zxfairlady brings up a very good point. I find that I can usually cast further with a spoon than a spinner at the same weight. The 1/8oz Rooster Tail indeed feels a bit lighter than a 1/8oz Croc. We've actually been using the 1/8oz Rooster Tail lately and done pretty well on trout. Occasionally I've added a sliding weight 2ft above the lure (weight, swivel, 2ft leader, Rooster Tail) so I could cast a lot further.

I finally had a chance to try out the 1/8oz roosters this weekend. I can see why you added the sliding weight ;)
Rodney, is there any reason why you prefer a sliding weight versus a fixed weight  ???