Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: As the salmon season is upon us - what are you looking forward to most?  (Read 9790 times)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Now that the salmon have begun showing up, what are you looking forward to most about this season's run?

Spending some time on the chuck searching for big springs?

Heading to the Vedder or Chehalis or other local river in search of coho?

Casting off the beaches for staging salmon?

Plunking on the Fraser for whatever will take your lure/bait?

Or something else?

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Personally, I always have been and likely always WILL be a sucker for the Vedder, despite it's rather nefarious reputation.  Memories as a child going after big springs and chum with my Dad are imprinted on my brain.  We didn't even know what we were doing, but we always seemed to manage to hook something.  :)

Lately I've finally been "getting a clue" when it comes to fishing the Vedder, and each of the past seasons has seen my take of chrome coho grow.  I'm certainly not filling the freezer, but it's been really nice to hook some nice-looking fish almost every trip!  In fact, it seems I've forgotten how to catch springs, as even when I target the big chinook I have been having very little luck.  LOL

dereke

• Old Timer

Two things right now, Ucluelet on Friday for two days of chartered fishing with Ironnoggin and I work six days on six days off so I have eighteen days in September to get out to a few of my favorite spots on the Island for Coho and Chinooks on the fly and spey. Didn't get to go last year so to say I am chomping at the bit is an understatement. Salmon Season has arrived!!!!! Wahooo!!!!!
always a student

mko72

Personally, I always have been and likely always WILL be a sucker for the Vedder, despite it's rather nefarious reputation. 

Why does the vedder have a bad reputation?

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Why does the vedder have a bad reputation?

I can't tell if you're asking this tongue in cheek or not (damn you, internet! lol), but in case you're serious:

The Vedder is a wonderful river with many great qualities, but being so close to the city it is almost always crowded and has often brought out the worst in people.  I have seen yelling matches and worse while fishing there in years gone by.  It is also a learning ground for many new anglers, meaning that fishing tactics and ethics are often questionable at best on the popular runs. 

That said, if you're willing to hike and explore, you can have some amazing days fishing an incredible body of water, and meet nothing but fantastic people.

Bottom line?  I love the Vedder, and the fact that it has a tarnished reputation doesn't dissuade me from going.  :)

Back on topic - what are you looking forward to most this salmon season?!?

clarki

• Old Timer

Coho off the beaches.

mko72

Correct, I was being serious.  Good to know.  I'm always down for a good hike and some exploring.

I'm new to the sport so I try to be as studious as possible and learn from the veterans.  I have a friend who is extremely experienced but he's also a really busy guy so sometimes I must venture out solo. 

Thanks for the info.

doja

Catching a salmon from my kayak off ambleside.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Catching fresh salmon in little streams and creeks this fall

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Just received my little box of goodies from Berrys and will be installing the downriggers and tweeking a few things on the boat this week and looking forward to spending some time out on the salt.
Has been a little while since i owned a boat and oh man do i ever miss those Crab feasts on the beach. ;D
Once things slow down out there i will hit the river and might even throw a line for some Sturgeon this year.
Tex,we really have to try and get out one day this year.
I have a Coho day in mind that should be perfect.

DRP79

I am looking to catch my first chinook and my first coho. I am also just chomping at the bit the apply what i learned last season and just have a more fruitful season overall.

fic

• Old Timer

Repetitively float fishing and almost falling asleep when float dives hard!

Forelle

Hello,

It's been awhile since I have gone to the Chehalis. I was wondering if it is still flowing straight down to the Harrison or did they divert it back past the hatchery again?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!

Firstlight let me be the first to offer my services as anchor boy....     ;D

Im lookin forward to some spring action, cedar plank a few white jacks to herald the coming season...
 Having to stand behind a tree to tie on my Bent Rods jigs so the chum dont jump out and hit em mid air ....
and my favorite still and always the coho, esp the first few that always shock the crap out of me with excitement every year.
And Im looking forward to seeing if my replacement Bares will last a season lol

dustin

Chucking  some 4 oz led into the mighty fraser, and letting her drag the bottom.