Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crabbing at night  (Read 17719 times)

erdan

Crabbing at night
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:43:15 PM »

I've been told on this forum that crabbing is illegal at night. However, a couple of weeks ago, I took my mum to Jericho pier at night for crabbing. At around midnight, two policemen on quadbikes approached us and asked if we were fishing, I told him that we weren't fishing and that we were only there for crab. They checked my license, made sure that I was within my limit, and wished me good luck. Was I just lucky? Or did the relevant regulations change?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Crabbing at night
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »

I've been told on this forum that crabbing is illegal at night. However, a couple of weeks ago, I took my mum to Jericho pier at night for crabbing. At around midnight, two policemen on quadbikes approached us and asked if we were fishing, I told him that we weren't fishing and that we were only there for crab. They checked my license, made sure that I was within my limit, and wished me good luck. Was I just lucky? Or did the relevant regulations change?

So even though you thought crabbing was illegal at night you decided to go do it anyways?  :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:01:26 PM by silver ghost »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/crabclosureFN18-eng.htm

you got off the hook because they were security guards that didn't know the regs
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

doja

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »

I believe the reason for this rules is to stop people from leaving their traps over night as that could have a rather large impact...

As far as what you guys did is pretty much who cares (fish cops probably wouldn't care either but I'm not them)... Good on ya for spending time with your mom.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:10:25 PM »

I think the rules were put in place to stop poaching under sized crabs at night.

doja

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »

I think the rules were put in place to stop poaching under sized crabs at night.

You sure about that.... ::)

Think about it... if you could leave the traps in over night and check once daily (or every couple of days) vs having to go twice a day during open hours would be allot more work with a smaller window meaning lower catch rates... Outside of the lower mainland I've seen traps stay in the water 24/7 (that's what I do) and given our population that'd be an issue.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 12:37:30 AM »

You sure about that.... ::)

Think about it... if you could leave the traps in over night and check once daily (or every couple of days) vs having to go twice a day during open hours would be allot more work with a smaller window meaning lower catch rates... Outside of the lower mainland I've seen traps stay in the water 24/7 (that's what I do) and given our population that'd be an issue.

nailed it.

Old Blue

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:04:39 AM »

Why didn't you just read the regulations?  Clear as day.....or should I say night.  No leaving pots out at night to limit poaching but mainly because it causes a navigational hazard for the inlet.

mko72

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »

people in places like indian arm, woodlands, sunshine falls, cascades etc. (and to a lesser extent Deep Cove).  they NEVER take their traps in.  24/7, check them once a day. I grew up there and poaching was/is RAMPANT. The worst poachers weren't local. And to add insult to injury, they would leave SO MUCH garbage behind and since there are no public washrooms they would crap under the dock.  You'd go to the beach on a beautiful sunny day and there's be little white piles of toilet paper piled in a pyramid over a mound of someone's crap, literally crap!  Those smart enough to crap below the high tide line did the locals that one tiny courtesy.

One time when I was about 9 years old, my dad and I were walking home from the neighbors and we saw a group of crabbers (read: poachers) walking to their car with a big bag.  They saw us and kind of shuffled about and then shoved the swollen plastic bag into one of those big bins full of road salt.  My dad casually sauntered over, opened the lid, looked in the bag, full of undersized crabs.  He very matter of factly lifted the bag out, closed the lid, walked to the dock and threw the crabs back in the water.

I'm sure coastal communities are even worse in remote locations, that being said, they probably have much healthier populations and won't put a dent in them.

What's my point? Nothing really, poachers just suck.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »

Crab Poachin' been going on for years!  A Pirate I may be, but a poacher I be not!  I does say that any waters accessible by lubbers does attract them like moscas to panela! ho ho!   I done seen undersized Crustaceans get their left claw ripped off and thrown back to regrow on the next molt.  The poachers be wise, for no laws be broken for possession of undersized crab! 

But me hearties, to be bold,  I do recognize that too many a crab poacher that I've seen come from a particular part of the world.  The Gulf of Tonkin, the Bohol Sea, and the waters around Formosa!  Aye, Norsemen and Welshmen alike do skirt the law from time to time, but it seem to be a prolific demographic who poach with habit!  Then ya ask them, they no speakee Engrish.    Lo! Thy ignorant swabber! Ya done move to new lands and no learn the mother tongue? A hundred lashes from the Cat to ya!  Yarrgh!
Dude,once again youve made me LMAO! Me thinks though your pegleg will be in hot water over this post.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »

Crab Poachin' been going on for years!  A Pirate I may be, but a poacher I be not!  I does say that any waters accessible by lubbers does attract them like moscas to panela! ho ho!   I done seen undersized Crustaceans get their left claw ripped off and thrown back to regrow on the next molt.  The poachers be wise, for no laws be broken for possession of undersized crab!  

But me hearties, to be bold,  I do recognize that too many a crab poacher that I've seen come from a particular part of the world.  The Gulf of Tonkin, the Bohol Sea, and the waters around Formosa!  Aye, Norsemen and Welshmen alike do skirt the law from time to time, but it seem to be a prolific demographic who poach with habit!  Then ya ask them, they no speakee Engrish.    Lo! Thy ignorant swabber! Ya done move to new lands and no learn the mother tongue? A hundred lashes from the Cat to ya!  Yarrgh!

After sifting through your gibberish, i would say you are wrong about keeping a claw because once you have any portion of crab on your possession, you must also retain the carapace for size verification.

Then ya ask them, they no speakee Engrish.    Lo! Thy ignorant swabber! Ya done move to new lands and no learn the mother tongue? A hundred lashes from the Cat to ya!  Yarrgh!

Argghhh maytee maybe a look at ye previous posts an ye own grammar might endulge one to bestow you a hundred lashes you silly cat!  LOL  :D ;D :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:10:33 PM by blaydRnr »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »

At one time there was an article in some paper about using long range infered or some sort of tech to catch poaching roaches at night. That there were even blind spots that some of the poachers knew existed. As usual though it's a case of dirty deeds done dirt cheap. ::)

ziggypal

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/crabclosureFN18-eng.htm

you got off the hook because they were security guards that didn't know the regs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that say "no fishing 1 hr before and 1 hr after sunrise". It doesn't actually say anything about no crabbing in those areas with a time.

Right above that line it says "recreational crab". I've taken that to mean recreational crabbing is allowed in that area anytime.

The two lines are not actually connected to each other. Otherwise it would say "recreational crab no fishing 1 hr before and 1 hr after sunrise", and that makes no grammatical sense to me at all.

Thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »

This type of discussion on how regulations should be interpreted can easily be concluded with a phone call to the DFO regional office.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/locations-bureaux-eng.htm

We also had an officer at our event last Saturday answering shellfish related questions.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that say "no fishing 1 hr before and 1 hr after sunrise". It doesn't actually say anything about no crabbing in those areas with a time.
Right above that line it says "recreational crab". I've taken that to mean recreational crabbing is allowed in that area anytime.
The two lines are not actually connected to each other. Otherwise it would say "recreational crab no fishing 1 hr before and 1 hr after sunrise", and that makes no grammatical sense to me at all.
Thanks
read it again. its taken from the "Recreational Fishing Tidal Area Regulations"
The tittle of the map is.
Area 28 Crab Closures