Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crabbing at night  (Read 17718 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Crabbing at night
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »

Book him Dano  :)

I copied the link to crab regs as they pertain to.................crab fishing. Jeesh  :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fillibert

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:32 PM »

And closure areas can only be square areas...  ;)

erdan

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will try to direct this question at a DFO office to get a more concrete answer.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 03:13:37 PM »

Maybe start a list of parts of the regulations your unclear on. Two birds with one stone you know.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishyfish

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »

" I done seen undersized Crustaceans get their left claw ripped off and thrown back to regrow on the next molt.  The poachers be wise, for no laws be broken for possession of undersized crab!"

This really pees me off when I see the claws have been removed. You have seen this pirate? How closely have you seen this done? Not on your boat I hope. Totally agree with blade you need to retain all the crab for size verification. Perhaps you should learn the regs before you say no laws have been broken.   

mko72

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 01:07:47 PM »

I'm 99.9% certain there are these little plastic things called um.......ummmm........rulers!  Right! And they measure stuff, like the size of crabs. 

You can also get nifty little crab specific rulers that are the width of the minimum size so if the crab fits between the posts, throw it back.  It's so simple.  Anyone who does otherwise probably knows better and is therefore a dirt bag. 

Fillibert

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »

" I done seen undersized Crustaceans get their left claw ripped off and thrown back to regrow on the next molt.  The poachers be wise, for no laws be broken for possession of undersized crab!"

This really pees me off when I see the claws have been removed. You have seen this pirate? How closely have you seen this done? Not on your boat I hope. Totally agree with blade you need to retain all the crab for size verification. Perhaps you should learn the regs before you say no laws have been broken.   

So went crabbing last night, about every other one was missing a claw. Well over a dozen. This begs the question does poaching help in conservation? I didn't even bother to check them for size, so they will live for a while to come. Irony anyone?
Every time I go there someone is breaking the law. Lots of asians keeping live bait fish well over the daily limit, often more than one line... A DFO can get his daily ticket quota there in 5 mins pay for all the meaningful conservation like salmon.

l l Phoned the poaching line or whatever cause a couple of guys showed up as I was packing up because it was after the crabbing time cut off and one threw in 2 traps l l  VV   and another was using a flashlight to shine on the water where his line was. So I mentioned the clawless crabs also. what is ORR?                                               VV
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:38:44 AM by Fillibert »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 12:03:20 AM »

Did you phone the ORR?

fishyfish

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 10:11:33 PM »

Where were you Fillbert? Keep phoning!!!

fishyfish

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »

ORR stands for observe, record, report and I could be wrong but I believe the number is 1-800-465-4336.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »

I had to stop walking White Rock Pier. So upsetting to see.
They wrap the crab in news paper and put it in a duffle bag.
When I was younger and crabbing at the pier I would watch them lift their traps and I would run over and throw all the small ones and females back.
They would get upset, but I would just play stupid. I don't think I could get away with it now.

Fillibert

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 11:23:36 PM »

Jericho Pier . How about having conservation officer volunteers. Maybe have a weekend course to get certified and get some sort of ID so that you have the authority to throw them back at least. I realize that writing tickets would be too much power but maybe not... Lets say to enter the program you need references from existing officers or something besides the training. Most of us let people know if they break the rules but it stops there... Or because of lack of authority we shy away from doing it but this way there would be extra officers with no extra cost to the government.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »

Keep phoning in violations, regardless whether you think they will show up or not. Officers cannot be at everywhere and anytime, so they may or may not show up when you phone it in. It can be frustrating, but each report serves as a tool for officers to plan out their patrol. Areas with high frequency of reported violations will receive more attention.

At a sportfishing advisory committee meeting earlier this week, DFO enforcement's representation expressed their concerns that people are not phoning in as much as they used to. They want you to keep phoning and help them to catch poachers. They need all our eyes and ears to do this.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »

I seen people crabbing off tedock daily at cates, even though there are huge sign that say no crabbing till nov 15. I call it in everytime.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 01:18:35 PM »

I think if DFO just do daily and nightly raids at the popular piers at Jericho, White Rock, Ambleside, Belcarra, and Cates Park, and do that for a week or two, they will catch all the blatant poachers and save lots of undersized or female crabs. Over 15 years ago when I still went crabbing, we were at Jericho witnessing lots of people leaving with bags of undersized crabs. We played by the rule only keeping legal size. Later that night, several COs came in the pier with bags full of undersized and female crabs. They released hundreds of crabs from those bags. Told everyone better obey the law because those crabs were worth 10s of thousands of fines. They had been waiting at the parking lot the whole night checking on crabbers and their cars. That should be something DFO should do often  at all the popular piers if they want to stop all these crab poaching craps.  ;)