Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass Fishing  (Read 3331 times)

BCLAX

Bass Fishing
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:57:11 PM »

I was wondering if there was anyone on the forum willing to share some advice on bass fishing in the lowermainland. I've fished a few holes but i've been skunked everytime. I've worked spinners, jigs, topwaters, and have had no luck. Maybe my timing is off, im not fishing when the bass or most active. Well any ways if anyone has some knowledge they'd be willing to share it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Bass Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 07:23:07 AM »

I'm no bass expert by any stretch, but when the fast lures arent working it's time to slow it down.
Try fishing a plastic worm "wacky rigged" I think it's called. Plunk it by some cover or fishy spot and just let it sit there and wiggle it I think is how you fish it. (again I caught a bass once as a kid)

BCLAX

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:49:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply. From what i understand you do slow your presentations, maybe im just not pluggin' away hard enough.

noxcape

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »

Top water baits and spinnerbaits are the key right now target cover like lilly pads and wood in the water we are
Getting into the funest time to fish for bass

BCLAX

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:28:57 AM »

topwater for morning and dusk? could i fish those in the afternoon?

noxcape

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »

Find shades areas and fish them around like lily pads

BCLAX

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

thanks for the info

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »

It took me awhile to figure out the local bass. Different animals than the ones I caught back in Ont. I find they can be selective here I guess that happens when you migrate to BC.

As a fly fisherman I have had my best luck after the water warms up (like now) in the mornings, evenings, and shadows with Poppers, Chernobyl Ants, and Foam Frogs. fish them like you would any other dry fly and don't go too big size #4 max. I know the Bass Boys like those big hooks, but I have never got anything but short strikes with them. The tec and take is no different than dry fly fishing big trout.

For early and late season I have found Wooly Buggers, Lefty's Deceiver, Clouser's Deep Minnow and my Dolly Whacker to be the ticket.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

noxcape

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »

Do the opposite Of What newsman says he only catches
Small Fish lol :p kidden he knows his stuff

BCLAX

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »

hahaha will do. thanks for that flyfishing bit, i'll be tossing flies after them too

alan701

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »

Went to albert dyck recently and saw no fish using a spinner. Weird because the water was warm. Maybe i wasnt casting far enough. First timer as well. The dock was busy so couldnt go there

Fillibert

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

No need to cast far anyway. Went to deer lake today "landed" 3 palm sized bass and missed a few others all close to shore. They were going for silver based #1 blue fox spinners. Tried Rapala lures, martin spinner, spoons with no bites, put on a rainbow blue fox and got one on first cast. Bites were coming on slack line after twinches