Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout Lake (Vancouver), August 8th 2012  (Read 4883 times)

fishingwithegg2

Trout Lake (Vancouver), August 8th 2012
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »

My curiosity finally got the better of me, so my gf and I decided to head down to this urban pond to determine if there's actually any living fish in this "cesspool" (as determined by the gov't last year)
Below are our findings:  ;D

1 Crappie, palm size
8 Sunfish, 4-5 inches

All the fish were caught with krill below a bobber.
And finally, as rumor has it, we did see dogs taking a dump right in the water... which I'm sure contributes to the high fecal coliform count  ::)
We gladly released all fish back into the lake.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
Re: Trout Lake (Vancouver), August 8th 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:15:04 PM »

Nice find!

I guess we can't make any jokes about coilers now...

fishingwithegg2

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:33:54 PM »

Nice find!

I guess we can't make any jokes about coilers now...

LOL! Unfortunately when we visited the lake today, there were still big white signs saying water is unfit for swimming or wading
fecal problem remains unresolved  :o

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »

Nice Catch!  I would have put on gloves before touching that fish/water.  I did see some people swimming in that water around June this year before, they closed it due to the high fecal coli-form count.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »

I think the smaller ones are pumpkinseed specifically.  Same feces different pile  :P

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »

I fished that lake 30 yrs ago when it was still ok but now...yukkkk...I wouldnt fish it with your pole.....lol.....Rod when did they stop stalking the lake..back in the early 90s there was always some one getting a 6 to 9 pound fish.
Take the T out of Morton.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »

All the fish were caught with krill below a bobber.
And finally, as rumor has it, we did see dogs taking a dump right in the water...

damn, that's just ignorant of dog owners. and if you "dare" tell a dog owner anything about this they generally lose their minds with anger.

thanks for the report ~ you know that sunfish are actually tasty pan fried and coated with seasoned flour. however the dog-poop chaser would be a real killer of appetite even though "technically" you'd never taste it in the fish.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:34 PM »

People caught piranhas at Trout Lake which was on the Global TV news a while back ago.

If you told that to the dog owners, they wouldn't ever let their dogs in the water.

I still remember the days back in the 80's when Trout Lake beach was like Kits Beach in the summer. There were tons of people in the water swimming and wading!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 07:22:43 AM »

People caught piranhas at Trout Lake which was on the Global TV news a while back ago.

If you told that to the dog owners, they wouldn't ever let their dogs in the water.

I still remember the days back in the 80's when Trout Lake beach was like Kits Beach in the summer. There were tons of people in the water swimming and wading!

Lived across the street from TL in the late 80s early 90s and would catch decent trout at dusk and dawn.  Was a a part of the Trout Lake Restoration project in its early stages before moving east to the valley.  From the sounds of it the project lost steam.  We had plans to daylight some of the feeder streams and create a marshland/bog type filtering system for the run off.  Too bad they never followed through.
Not all those who wander are lost

Fillibert

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »

messed up that people let their dogs swim in there. I wouldn't let a dog like that near me...