Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoons and Coho  (Read 14575 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Spoons and Coho
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »

Do you guys use a swivel to attach to the main line and the leader, or just a knot? 
I'm wondering if either the knot or swivel hitting the eyelets would slow it down as you are casting the spoon.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »

I will Cast a vote for mono all the way
I like to have the forgiveness of mono over the super strength of rope
I use a swivel between my main and leader, a nice long one actually
none of the leader or the swivel passes through the eyes during casting, for me anyway
No extra lead, ever, for me, and you can add a clasp swivel to the end of your leader, for quick changing lures
this allows you to remove the giant swivel that is often on the lure at the split ring, if you want

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 01:29:37 PM »

Do you guys use a swivel to attach to the main line and the leader, or just a knot? 
I'm wondering if either the knot or swivel hitting the eyelets would slow it down as you are casting the spoon.

I use a small barrel swivel.
I generally make the leader just long enough so that I don't have to reel the swivel through the first eyelet.
I find that 2-3 foot leader length range is perfect for making my rod load to bomb spoons far out.

I do sometimes accidentally reel the swivel too far and through the eyelets, doesn't seem to effect casting whats so ever, but I have to wonder what damage it is doing to the guides with all the noise it makes.

Leadbelly. Just curious as to what you mean the forgiveness of mono?
As I said earlier, I only use #10 braid, so I don't have "super strength." I use it for sensitivity, better casting, no stretch and can fit a lot more line on your reel.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »

I use a small barrel swivel.
I generally make the leader just long enough so that I don't have to reel the swivel through the first eyelet.
I find that 2-3 foot leader length range is perfect for making my rod load to bomb spoons far out.

I do sometimes accidentally reel the swivel too far and through the eyelets, doesn't seem to effect casting whats so ever, but I have to wonder what damage it is doing to the guides with all the noise it makes.

As I said earlier, I only use #10 braid, so I don't have "super strength." I use it for sensitivity, better casting, no stretch and can fit a lot more line on your reel.
Do you use #10 braid on a spinning or casting rod?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »

Do you use #10 braid on a spinning or casting rod?

Spinning... I can fit about 300 yds on a small penn fierce reel.

buck

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »

ED, What size penn spinning reel are you using? I have a 4000 but it seems a little large for coho.  Would a 2000 or 3000 be more appropriate ?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »

Hey Buck.

I have the 2000. Balances out my rod perfect.
I use it for steelhead and coho (and the occasional chinook by-catch) without any problems at all.

mko72

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 11:00:47 PM »

Question about spoon WEIGHT and to a lesser extent size.

I've been using 1/2oz delta gibbs croc spoons, and 5/8oz blue fox teardrop spoons.

When it rains and the river currents increase, should I be buying heavier (and I guess longer) spoons?  Something that will get deeper?

I've seen some online but have not seen any in actual stores (Canadian Tire, Walmart etc.).  Highwater has the widest selection I've seen so far.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 11:56:42 PM »

I never go anything larger than 2/5 besides the 45 koho spoons.
I fish lots of runs on the island that range from 3-20 feet deep, fast to slow. Never had a problem getting down with 2/5 and it's my go to in all situations.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 10:39:05 AM »

Great thread, for some reason I have become infatuated with spoons in the last few years.

My goto spoon is the Gibbs Croc, I pretty much like all the Gibbs spoons. I have been meaning to order up some of the Rvrfshr spoons to try.

Every Day, great info on your gear setup! I would love to hear some more about your technique when fishing those spoons for the various species?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 03:30:21 PM »

the way it will stretch

Insert Quote
Question about spoon WEIGHT and to a lesser extent size.
I've been using 1/2oz delta gibbs croc spoons, and 5/8oz blue fox teardrop spoons.
When it rains and the river currents increase, should I be buying heavier (and I guess longer) spoons?  Something that will get deeper

Its helpful to have a selection of sizes and shapes to work with the conditions depth speed clarity you come across
you can just go brighter too if  the water is high and vis is poor, like  silver finish Gibbs Ultra lures etc or a big Colorado etc
other conditions you can go smaller, lots of fun to experiment !

crazypop

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 05:09:16 PM »

Whats the minimum setup for rod and reel for spinning set up on coho?

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »

Try a tip I learnt from an oldtimer I met years ago. He would modify all his lures by using split rings to attach a small swivel between the hook and the lure. I believe the extra length allows for better hook sets.

On the other hand the take is the fun part, hooking a fish means the end of the experience.....   :D

this tip is a very good help. i watched a tv show and they attached a ring between the Bluefox #4 copper and the nice octopus hook. insane hookup rate.
since i have done this to most all of my spinners n blades i have had countless hooksets and i wasn't even paying attention :o
Tight lines to all

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 09:50:52 PM »

Whats the minimum setup for rod and reel for spinning set up on coho?

i use a light/medium action trout rod for my coho on the vedder. i like the wet noodle feel of a rod.
7 foot length and i use 8 lb test. ive only snapped off on the rare coho that finds its way to rocks and frays the line. other than that its really fun with the loose drag and wet noodle.
Tight lines to all

mko72

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 10:10:44 AM »

There's something spectacular about fishing from a slightly elevated position, like a tall rock, and watching a fat coho catch sight of your wobbling spoon; then saunter over to it as the lure enters your field of view, follow it a little then BAM, fish on!!! 

The complete opposite of that would be when you can see the fish following your lure FOREVER and it's almost at your feet.  You're thinking "no no no, just give it some more time" then it reaches your feet and the salmon casually swims away.  Talk about a tease.